17' Series Second 17.56-2OB in a couple of years

acmackie

Apr 19, 2012
Glenmore Park
So, let me re-introduce myself. My wife and I have 3 boys (aged 3-6). A couple of years back I bought a new 2012 17.56-2OB and had it for about 6 months before being transferred to China for "3 years". So I sold that one and have not stopped dreaming of getting another since. Well this week I got confirmation that I'll be coming home early - early in December this year. So given the long wait when ordering new, I've just placed an order for a new 17.56-2OB. The dealer will book production spot in late November so they can have it ready for delivery mid December. I had originally planned to buy from Bayswater as I did last time, but as my friend @Adam Bardsley-Smith bought his from Ballarat I thought I'd ask them for a price. Also we have family in Ballarat, so somewhere to stay when we travel from Sydney to pick it up. Apologies to Bayswater who have been great to deal with!

So I ordered the 2014 17.56-2OB with the following options:
Privacy Screens (normal black ones)
Wind Up TV Antenna (we don't plan on TV but best to future proof it!)
External TV point
2 x Picnic Tables
Drifter Control Panel
240 and 12v Power to rear dinette

So now to organise a car quickly once I get home in December so I can pick up the van and enjoy the Aussie summer in style.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
So, let me re-introduce myself. My wife and I have 3 boys (aged 3-6). A couple of years back I bought a new 2012 17.56-2OB and had it for about 6 months before being transferred to China for "3 years". So I sold that one and have not stopped dreaming of getting another since. Well this week I got confirmation that I'll be coming home early - early in December this year. So given the long wait when ordering new, I've just placed an order for a new 17.56-2OB. The dealer will book production spot in late November so they can have it ready for delivery mid December. I had originally planned to buy from Bayswater as I did last time, but as my friend @Adam Bardsley-Smith bought his from Ballarat I thought I'd ask them for a price. Also we have family in Ballarat, so somewhere to stay when we travel from Sydney to pick it up. Apologies to Bayswater who have been great to deal with!

So I ordered the 2014 17.56-2OB with the following options:
Privacy Screens (normal black ones)
Wind Up TV Antenna (we don't plan on TV but best to future proof it!)
External TV point
2 x Picnic Tables
Drifter Control Panel
240 and 12v Power to rear dinette

So now to organise a car quickly once I get home in December so I can pick up the van and enjoy the Aussie summer in style.
Yeh ha! Happy days! You weren't tempted to get the starcraft? :behindsofa:

acmackie

Apr 19, 2012
Glenmore Park
@relgate I had considered the starcraft, but I'm likely to travel a few narrow tracks with low hanging branches where the extra height might cause issues. Also the internal space you get on the 17 foot Expanda is exceptional for the towing length. Also the boys want the same as last time! :)

acmackie

Apr 19, 2012
Glenmore Park
Thanks everyone. It's going to be a longer than normal wait, but I'm sure being very busy with preparing to leave will make the time go fast. Anyway it gives me a while to plan what mods I will do! @DRW I sure won't miss the pollution, or the traffic, or the winter cold, but there will be some things I miss. Lucky to have the experience here.

Reactions: DRW and relgate

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
Welcome back. I have a couple of mates at work who live in Ballarat. They also have Jayco vans. I hear good things regarding purchasing vans up there. Not such good thing regarding after sales service and warranty.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Welcome back. I have a couple of mates at work who live in Ballarat. They also have Jayco vans. I hear good things regarding purchasing vans up there. Not such good thing regarding after sales service and warranty.

They are new owners in Ballarat Jayco . They seem real keen to beat any quote on a new van it would be a shame if their after sales service sucks

Reactions: jacbaz

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
@acmackie we've been looking recently at vans, and have been to Jayco in the 'rat twice. They have awesome staff, very helpful and professional. As we couldn't afford new, and they didn't have what we wanted on the lot secondhand, we bought elsewhere. But I will certainly be taking the van there at some stage for servicing and the like.

acmackie

Apr 19, 2012
Glenmore Park
So I have some good news, and some bad news:
Good News - The pickup is booked in for 15th Dec and I'll be back in Australia and can borrow in-laws ute to pick it up.
Bad News - My transfer back to Australia is not going to happen yet. So I'll have a new Expanda sitting in a shed waiting for me to come home. I will get to use it over Christmas for a few nights with the kids who can't wait to go camping again, but after that, it'll be locked away in a shed.
Anyway, gives me more time to plan mods, just no access to the van to do any mods!

acmackie

Apr 19, 2012
Glenmore Park
I'm working on two plans. My preference would see me home and relocate to CW NSW maybe Feb. The backup plan would have me back in Sydney about July. Anyway the China market is not going well for my industry so there is also the risk they kick me out with a month's notice! I'm happy to come home to clean air and back to "normal" life... the next month might give me some clarity.

Reactions: relgate

acmackie

Apr 19, 2012
Glenmore Park
20141216_155615.jpg

Picked up the van on monday and got back to the farm today thanks to an issue with vicroads holding us up at the dealer for 4hrs. So we camped overnight near Narrandera and completed the trip from Ballarat this morning. Now the boys are in watching "Cars" while we all relax inside the house.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
View attachment 28666
Picked up the van on monday and got back to the farm today thanks to an issue with vicroads holding us up at the dealer for 4hrs. So we camped overnight near Narrandera and completed the trip from Ballarat this morning. Now the boys are in watching "Cars" while we all relax inside the house.
Looks awesome. Does it feel different to the last van?