Exterior Sealant

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,

On our 2016 touring Penguin, on each corner where the canvas walls are attached to the frame there is some translucent flexible sealant applied to help prevent water getting in. Some water is getting in so I want to reseal one corner. Does anyone know what sealant Jayco use or any recommendations on what to use? I expect it will be quite different from what is recommended for sealing the roof.

cheers
Mike
IMG_4933.JPG

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That looks a bit dodgy or an afterthought Mike, I would lift, clean and run a bead before refitting the canvas, a clear gutter silicon would be up to the job I believe if it has constant load on it...................Give the stitching a wipe with some bees wax or repellant spray as well.

Reactions: mikerezny

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Reactions: chartrock

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
About 6 years ago I did a few tests on two silicone brands with regards to stretch ability and bonding ability.In the stretch test squeezed out 3/16 dia .6 inch length of both products and let dry.The other test was same diameter sq eezed out on two 4 inch square plates and pushed together and let dry.The Selleys 100% silicone rubber came out miles ahead in both tests.It stretched nearly twice as far as the cheaper brand before breaking,the cheaper brand broke the bond between the two plates much sooner. Also never use Sikaflex when sealing polycarbonates or perspex. Sikaflex is NOT compatible even when using the so called Sikaflex primer. Use a specific silicone or copolymer for these plastics.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thats what I use in my travel box, small tube, small gun works well .............. and so far hasn't yellowed and seems to stick well.

RickB

Jul 22, 2017
Vic
Bunnings have lots of different Selleys silicone sealants, do you recommend one in particular?

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
They (sika, sellies, parfix, monarch, etc) make lots of different ones to cover all the difficult jobs such as polycarbonate or sheet glass joints or automotive. I use anything (mostly monarch mini tubes for convenience) specified as roof & gutter for most jobs including sticking things together that I want to separate later. I use a polyurethane based sealant/adhesive (parfix in my case) for the high bond jobs.
I also used it on the polycarbonate sheets under my flexible solar panel against popular opinion because it seemed to me the key issue is the unsightly crazing of the surface (which is not a concern for me). I figured that a failure of the poly would take longer than the probable life of the cheap panel!

Reactions: Drover

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Just stating that after long experience in the marine industry (and caravan repair) there are certain bonding products that work and many that do not. Polyurathane products DO NOT like perspex or polycarbonates . Put it simply they do not bond to these plastics well due to oils that these plastics emit plus they do not expand or contract enough,and do not weather well compared to copolymers and or specialized silicones .Sikaflex is finally after many years (thinking they were marketing the best product for these plastics) are now going to market a copolymer product.As far as Selleys products go, I would go on their website and look up specifically what products are best for bonding to the substrate you are going to bond to.There is another product I have used and recommend,FixTech, their range of products is highly regarded in the marine industry for numerous applications.If it works in a marine environment it says it all.!

Last edited:

RickB

Jul 22, 2017
Vic
Speaking of sealants can you suggest a way of sealing an opened cartridge so it will still be useful sometime later?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I just cover the end with a bit of plastic and screw the nozzle back over it, last quite awhile, I clear the nozzle later with a bit of welding rod. I suspect the goop left in the nozzle helps keep the outside from getting under the plastic a bit....... I did have some plastic caps that screwed over the end of the tube but lost over time, they worked.........age will catch up with them all though.

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
I tape the end up, squirt a little sealant so it fills any gaps in the tape, wrap the whole thing in a zip bag, label it 'poo sample' and sneak it into the fridge :D

Reactions: Drover