Electrical Satellite Phone

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Some will have heard/read the various satellite phone rumours and stories about GSM sim cards etc.

I tried to find some first hand use of someone who had personally successfully used a mobile GSM sim card in a satellite phone, but could only find the "uncles, friends neighbour told my brother" stories.

I contacted Telstra satellite area and they could not have been less helpful, in fact they skirted around the question and only ran interference. They refused to confirm, or deny.

It was like that game where you cant say the actual word.

If i wasnt so P'ed O it would have been a good skit for a comedy routine.

The rumour is to use a GSM sim, it has to be Telstra, and full post paid account as opposed to prepaid.

Anyway i bit the bullet before we left for the Big Lap and bought a second hand superseded Iridium 9505 satellite phone for $300. Iridium is the only satellite network Telstra uses.

I put my mobile GSM sim card in it. My mobile uses a nano sim and the 9505 uses the old full sized sim so I had to buy a sim adapter (eBay $2)

I was flying blind, because i hadnt downloaded a manual at that point.

After some trial and error I found I had to register the phone on the sateliite network, which turns out is something it needs to do everytime you turn it on. Once registration was successful, i tried to ring my home landline.

It took a few attempts. Because i wasnt actually expecting it to work, i almost gave up but it finally connected. The weird ring tone didnt help either. I left myself an appropriate space message in my best Darth Vader voice.

The 9505, i think, will also access the normal GSM mobile network if that function is switched on, and of course if theres a mobile network available.

The true test would be in the remote outback.

I didnt get any indication of a satellite call on my Telstra account, so i wasnt convinced it didn't use the GSM mobile network to call home.

The true test came when we were sitting in Ormiston Gorge in the West McDonald Ranges, 140km west of Alice Springs, way out of GSM range and in the middle of nowhere.

The 9505 registered on the Iridium satellite network relatively easily and quickly inside the van. After a couple of false starts i rang my son on his mobile in Melb. The call was about 80% in quality and dropped out after about 4 min, but it worked pretty well i thought

My next Telstra account came with Satellite use and worked out at $4 per minute. Expensive, but thats far better than the alternative high priced satellite accounts that you are likely never to use.

If i dont use the phone at all over a year its free, a satellite account over a year with no calls would be hundreds. I dont want to use to call anyone other than for an emergency.

The other aspect not routinely considered is all phones, satellite included, are required to be able to access 000 or equivalent without any sim card inserted. Telstra operate the 000 network and they basically only the conduit to reach emergency services. Telstra play no other role other than transfer the call

The mechanics of a satellite emergency call is the same as any 000 call from any phone. The 000 call is answered by Telstra and you are asked which service you require, police, ambulance, fire. You pick your poison, and Telstra ask which state, city or town, then transfer the call to the nominated emergency service.

For example your legs fell off on the Gibb. You ring 000, say police Western Australia. Telstra transfer the call to the WA police comms centre and you are connected you directly to police WA.

The fact you are on a sim'less satellite phone is now irrelevant and you discuss your issues directly with the police, who dont know and dont care your on a satellite phone

You always ask for police because they are much better equipped to manage and co-ordinate all services and assistance required

Its a very effective way of getting all the safety and emergency benefits of a satellite without any cost. If you might want to make odd call but dont need an ongoing account, use your Telstra post paid sim.
20160203_093105-resized-1280.jpg

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
great write up @Crusty181 thanks. You should have posted the question up here mate that's what this forum is for. besides having confirmed this myself , also quite a few members here are on myswag as well where there is a lot of users doing the Telstra sim trick. safe(r) travels

Reactions: Crusty181

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
That's great info @Crusty181, Telstra probably won't thank you, but for occasional travel, being able to have a phone with no monthly costs and just slip the standard SIM into it is fantastic.

The Iridium phones are only satellite so can't access the cellular network.

The old Globastar phones could do that, and the Thuraya sat sleeve sort of does it, but it has 2 SIMs and 2 numbers just in the 1 device.

Reactions: Crusty181

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
That's great info @Crusty181, Telstra probably won't thank you, but for occasional travel, being able to have a phone with no monthly costs and just slip the standard SIM into it is fantastic.

The Iridium phones are only satellite so can't access the cellular network.

The old Globastar phones could do that, and the Thuraya sat sleeve sort of does it, but it has 2 SIMs and 2 numbers just in the 1 device.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
great write up @Crusty181 thanks. You should have posted the question up here mate that's what this forum is for. besides having confirmed this myself , also quite a few members here are on myswag as well where there is a lot of users doing the Telstra sim trick. safe(r) travels
I search it here, but admittedly i never seem to have much luck with searches here.

I think the 000 trick is pretty sweet. Although i think satellite "000" is 112.

We just flew back to Melb for a week. When we get back to the van in Perth and head remote again i intend physically ringing 112 (or 000) to go through the motions. Theres no fall out from ringjng to test your equipment

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I search it here, but admittedly i never seem to have much luck with searches here.

I think the 000 trick is pretty sweet. Although i think satellite "000" is 112.

We just flew back to Melb for a week. When we get back to the van in Perth and head remote again i intend physically ringing 112 (or 000) to go through the motions. Theres no fall out from ringjng to test your equipment

If you are using a Telstra SIM 000 should work.

Calling to test is no issue, you'll get through the to either Melbourne or Sydney Telstra 000 answer point. Just tell them you are testing. (I manage the Fire Brigade 000 call centres in NSW, we make test calls all the time)

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
The plot thickens.

The 9505 is an old Motorla manufactured phone.

It does indeed have a GSM mode, so you should be able to use it in 2G/GSM mode as well.

That's something not offered by current models.

Bad news, the GSM Netoerk is being switched off at the end of 2016, so it won't work after that.

image.png

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Has anyone tried Optus ?

OPTUS THURAYA XT DUAL
THE PHONE THAT GIVES YOU GSM AND SATELLITE ALL IN ONE.
NO BARS? NO WORRIES!
thuraya-xt-dual_310.jpg
The Thuraya XT-Dual is a phone that combines both satellite and GSM, which means you can easily switch between the two to stay connected across Australia. Providing you have a direct line of site to the satellite and a dual-mode plan, you’ll be able to use Thuraya’s satellite service when in satellite mode, and switch to GSM when in mobile coverage areas.

The phone comes with splash water and dust protection, is shock proof, and has a Web Browser for internet surfing directly on the phone. The Thuraya XT DUAL offers data capabilities and can be connected to a PC or laptop, which can then be used to browse the Web and send/receive emails.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Has anyone tried Optus ?

OPTUS THURAYA XT DUAL
THE PHONE THAT GIVES YOU GSM AND SATELLITE ALL IN ONE.
NO BARS? NO WORRIES!
thuraya-xt-dual_310.jpg
The Thuraya XT-Dual is a phone that combines both satellite and GSM, which means you can easily switch between the two to stay connected across Australia. Providing you have a direct line of site to the satellite and a dual-mode plan, you’ll be able to use Thuraya’s satellite service when in satellite mode, and switch to GSM when in mobile coverage areas.

The phone comes with splash water and dust protection, is shock proof, and has a Web Browser for internet surfing directly on the phone. The Thuraya XT DUAL offers data capabilities and can be connected to a PC or laptop, which can then be used to browse the Web and send/receive emails.

Optus resell Thuraya and Inmarsat.

The Thuraya sat sleeve is a very cool device, the only problem is the Thuraya satellite sits over Singapore, which means the lookup angles get quite steep in the Southern States.

I have tested in Sydney and it seemed to work OK, but from my colleagues in Victoria and Tassie, they tell me they start to have trouble connecting. If you were down in a valley it could be all but impossible.

I wouldn't really look at anything other than Inmarsat or Iridium if you want Australia wide coverage.

Inmarsat has the best, as it used geostationary satellites that are fixed, making it easier to get and keep a connection.

Iridium used LEO (low earth orbit) satellites that are constantly flying overhead, meaning the phones need to constantly switch between satellites, which can sometimes cause dropouts.

If you were only operating in Northern Australia, Thuraya would be a good option.