Sad goodbye to a true friend

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I saw a schimko G60 today , now thats nostalga, when winter turned up, lift bonnet and turn on HW tap for furnace under dash, like the old FJ40's , temp was HOT, HOTTER and MELTDOWN.

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
I would love to know where on earth you can buy wiper refills for $2.99 I bought some in March and the cost a shed load more than that, and broke one of them fitting it and had to shell out $80 for a decent set ( and I’m a trained professional)

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Thats some serious rear suspension bro question i carnt get answered why do your series of cars have bonnet scoops and 200s dont same with prados and hiluxs same motor one with the scoop one without ????????????

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Thats some serious rear suspension bro question i carnt get answered why do your series of cars have bonnet scoops and 200s dont same with prados and hiluxs same motor one with the scoop one without ????????????

The 120 series Prado has a dual skin bonnet so the air goes through the grille and goes up between the 2 skins to the top mount inter cooler. I suspect the Hilux has a single skin bonnet hence the scoop. The 150 series Prado has a front mount inter cooler so no need to fit a scoop to look cool.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I suspect the Toorak poonces and Arab Sheiks dont want boy racer bonnet scoops

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The first 500km stats are in ... none to shabby for the old clunker V8. Just on half a tank of juice used ... thats one half of one half of the tanks. 8.8ltrs/100km, assuming the dealer actually filled it (could be even better). Cruising range of 2000km+

IMG_20190821_182512.jpg

20190821_162238.jpg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Collected all the bar work yesterday, it filled the tandem trailer and is bloody heavy. Could put a dent in my astounding fuel stats
20190822_104955.jpg

The bullbar box was like a packet of half empty potato chips, not to sure why the box was so big. Could have hidden a couple of corpses in there with the bar
20190822_105811.jpg

The bullbar was not as straight forward a job as i was expecting. Shimming the bar was a pain in the caboose. I also struggled the comprehend the seemingly very low torque on the mounting bolts; 32ftlb on the M10, and 56ftlb on the M12. I can near do those torques with my hand.

Quite a bit of time was spend deciphering the fairly average instructions, and even more time finding the looms on the car that i had to hack into; so much for plug n play.

20190822_125600.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I wish I was there to help you, I love doing that stuff .............................It was so much easier in the olden days, just remove the bumper (a bit of channel) and bolt bar onto chassis rails then fit the big lights, tow hooks................................................................. better Economy than my Colorado but then it was decked out, my old Ute returned way better than your Navara towing, while the Jeeperific MkII gets 9l/100 but then it has 3 digits showing on the speedo not 2 and will be interesting to see what happens with Big Mal on the back .............. waiting for next pension cheque to buy the bits to make towing possible, hope it doesn't need a couple of cheques............

Reactions: mfexpanda and Bluey

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I wish I was there to help you, I love doing that stuff .............................It was so much easier in the olden days, just remove the bumper (a bit of channel) and bolt bar onto chassis rails then fit the big lights, tow hooks................................................................. better Economy than my Colorado but then it was decked out, my old Ute returned way better than your Navara towing, while the Jeeperific MkII gets 9l/100 but then it has 3 digits showing on the speedo not 2 and will be interesting to see what happens with Big Mal on the back .............. waiting for next pension cheque to buy the bits to make towing possible, hope it doesn't need a couple of cheques............
With the bull bar setting the benchmark, Im guessing everything our of these accessory outlets is NQR and near enough good enough thing. The Kaymar bar instructions make ARBs crappy offering look like and encyclopedia. Kaymars suggest "sometimes" the rear door may hit the carrier when its open .... sometimes???? The Kaymar bar incorporates a 3.5t tow bar, and on offer is a "vehicle specific" wiring harness which Ive discovered has no trailer socket and wires in the cars lights by me cutting all the wires and joining them by hand. Being assured that it was all plug n play, is all in the interpretation of the individual. Im struggling to find the "vehicle specific" part. Its obvious people mostly dont use the supper expensive 3.5t towbar they have just purchased for no real reason, being the silly sausage I am I presume they'd know I wanted to use the towbar to tow stuff. My bad.

Victoria luxury car tax kicked in just over the value of the naked car, so the removing the accessories from the purchase contract and buying them on a seperate invoice 1 second later saved $1300 in stamp duty. In practical term nothing changed at that point, just two cheques instead of one. Having a humdinger of a dust up with ARB removed the fitting costs along wth the hardware when I told them to jamb it all. I had the dealer then order the accessories on my behalf so I kept the dealer discounts. So long story short, the very positive outcome is I saved myself $4300 to basically fit the accessories myself .... it's a bit of a trap for young players, all this smoke and mirror BS but for me more than adequate compensation for a few days work; Id be happy to earn $4300 every other day I work. Just like my old man said, a dollar saved is $hit loads better than any dollar earned. Im also 120% positive my install will be superior (I know this from one aspect alone, the ARB wiring comes with scotch locks, big thanks there. The Crusty wiring is spliced, soldered and shrink tubed)

If your interested in a genuine brain teaser check out the Vic state luxury car tax, its a cracka. Amongst may other fun facts concealed in complicated mumbo jumbo no human can explain, it actually contains a tax on a tax on a tax on a tax .... hmmm yes ... 4 levels of compounding tax, go us. 20% of your Landcruiser 200 is tax in this awesome state

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It was bad enough getting slugged $4011.48 in GST and Sales Tax for the Jeep and it was only $33K, robbing mongrels..................... So you should have gone to Supercheap and bought the trailer cable I suppose, I hate splicing into the loom, I would have thought even a mine truck would have had a socket in the loom to plug a trailer wiring pack into, how very primitive........ I thought Kaymar was the bee's knees but sounds like just a rebadged job like all the rest, I always try to keep clear of stuff that gets rave reviews, usually done by ding bats most of the time................ I have yet to get my brake controller, I have found the plug at the back which I should connect to, it is inside near the wheel welI so no crawling underneath, detest inside wiring jobs, it better work.

I suppose having the Tax on a Tax is the way they make up the difference for cheapo rego, Victoria is very good at that, at least NSW just charges you outright and don't care what you think............ QLD is middle of the road, don't care but slowly and very sneaky like push the price up by stealth.

Reactions: Bluey