Roof top tents

coys 53

Oct 13, 2019
perth
Can anyone explain how these pass safety regs given that the vehicle roof limits are usually between 100-150kg given that a tent weighs around 100kg then add 2 people+ bedding etc is it overloaded

rags

Only thing is hopefully the 2 people aren’t riding up top when the vehicle is moving.
A vehicle roof limits are based on stability whilst driving, not parked up when camping
I have a kings model RTT on a camper trailer it would weigh more than 50 kg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I wouldn't be putting roof top tents on the basic rails that vehicles come with, after market racks properly built should share the load over the roof structure, roofs aren't supported by much, just a tin umbrella and those dinky rails (I have them on the jeep) have pretty pith poor support.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Only thing is hopefully the 2 people aren’t riding up top when the vehicle is moving.
... and they're not very VERY happy to be in that rtt together ;)

My rtt is a full alum clamshell Alu-Cab style and weighs in at 60kg. My roof limit is 150kg

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
... and they're not very VERY happy to be in that rtt together ;)

My rtt is a full alum clamshell Alu-Cab style and weighs in at 60kg. My roof limit is 150kg

Have you tried closing yourself in that clamshell while the princess drives the old Tele track flat out ?

Just saying ! Hahaha

Reactions: Crusty181

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
roof top campers lose their appeal when you get to the age of visiting the bathroom more than once a night,--- zip-ladder-walk-shake-walk -ladder-zip-dirty cold
feet, opps time to go again, thank you for ensuits

Reactions: Drover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
roof top campers lose their appeal when you get to the age of visiting the bathroom more than once a night,--- zip-ladder-walk-shake-walk -ladder-zip-dirty cold
feet, opps time to go again, thank you for ensuits
I can assure you, that isnt such a problem. Just use your imagination ... and empty it in the morning ;)

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
not much space up there in one of those things, and mrs P.B.P does not like the idear of the ice cream bucket sharing her sleeping space waiting to tip,

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I can assure you, that isnt such a problem. Just use your imagination ... and empty it in the morning ;)

So in reality your not anywhere near old yet ................................. old is where anything that has steps is a turn off and ladders must be attempted with a phone pre dialed to the Ambo's...................
Why does the CB aerial shake around when you go to bed daddy ??????

Because your mother is belting the crap out of me for buying a stupid roof top tent son................ she just kicked the ice cream container.

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
the guy who lives next to me bought a roof top camper 3 years ago, since then his fj cruiser has sat on the driveway because he can no longer get into his carport,he changed tack a little and has bought two yaks that fit on a trailer, he and the missus went yakking a few weeks ago and realised the limitations of having a camper on the roof because whenever he wanted the yaks in and out of the water he had to fold up the camper,she is not happy as she cant go to the shops while he is drowning bait,things went bad when the weather changed and they had to pack up wet, a few days sitting in the sun when he opened it up he had the start of a mushroom farm,the roof top mould farm is now propped beside his garden shed and they now take swags ,each to their own,nothing can suit everyone

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Why wouldn't you stick the roof top on the trailer something they are brilliant at, and the Yaks on the roof rack ?????
I have thought for years that was a far better combination than stuck on a roof, mount roof top just above the trailer allowing heaps of room for all the camping rubbish, table, chairs, porta potty............... Roof tops are for one night stands or camping in the middle of town or in Dan Murphys car park.

Reactions: poor but proud

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
he has one of them (camper trailer) then he went to an old kombi , so in the yard now is fj cruiser, camper trailer, the big boat, the small boat the trailer with two yaks,two vintage motor bikes (noisey, the more noise the smaller the di.. ) plus her and the boys cars and a collection of steptoe junk ,i love looking over the fence and i have rat bait stations on my boundary

Reactions: Drover and DRW

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Jesus, youd think i was making you guys buy and use one ... theyre not compulsory as far as i know. Im still young enough to have a bit of fuel for adventure left in the tank.

Pic to remind you of the fun days
20200602_143758.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: mfexpanda

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Back in the days when laying on the ground was fun we did the sleep with the grubs and crawlies, now prefer to be well above ground ............... laying on the ground was never fun okay.

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
i have plenty of adventure fuel in the tank but the body is starting to complain when i forget i can no longer climb like Tarzan, the main reason i stopped camping and doing remote adventures and bought a van is that :she who must be obeyed: started jacking up about sleeping on the ground and going behind bushes, when the tribe was younger we had some magic trips out to different islands in the coral sea and reef,in the days before solar panels and freezers, find a few of these on your maps, Middle Percy Island,Masthead Island, Northwest island,Watumba Inlet,Zoe Bay, Haggelstone Island Nara inlet Whitehaven Beach ,the pick for me is Middle Percy Island staying in the Percy Hilton ,yes crusty i can actually see the attraction of RTT but these days its not just comfort but the physical limitations and keeping the missus happy and safe