roof leaking

craigdi

Aug 21, 2010
our expanda 16.49.1 is just over 12 months old on holidays and the roof starts leaking above the door has anyone had similar issues?

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
We had water leaking above the front bed on ours. Turns out they didn't use enough silicon up there. When i climbed a ladder to have a look there was lots of gaps. Have since fixed it myself and no leaks anymore.
Roof leak.jpg

Sorry not a good photo but hope it may help.

Gaz70

Banned
Sep 14, 2011
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
we have just returned from a week away, had water above/near the door, looks like it may have been coming through the stitching on the awning, will have to waterproof and wait until the next rainy trip to see if that fixes it...

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Heres a thing I was unaware of , I didnt know the roof was PVC plastic, not fibre glass. I was of the assumption that the whole van was fibre glass .
I got on a ladder the otherday to clean the roof , only to find out it was wavey & plastic running from the front to back. Hope mine dont leak, although there is a don't be rude load of goop up there round everything & it sat in the factory for two months. Fingers crossed. Anyone elses roofs on there expandas wavey not flat so to speak ? Wouls love to know ?
Cheers Doggy.

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
Fingers crossed. Anyone elses roofs on there expandas wavey not flat so to speak ? Wouls love to know ?
Cheers Doggy.

Mine's the same mate and it looks like there's plenty of silicone up there as it's all over everything

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
HEEEEEEEE ! You not wrong Niss, They must love that stuff in the Factory ay?
Mine not leaking thank god. I still cleaning it off the walls outside & front & Back of the van .!

bully66672

Jun 30, 2011
Melbourne
2010 17.56-2. Roof also has some waves. Plenty of silicone.
A lot of other brand vans have an equal amount of silicone on the roof section.
Mate has a full size base station and the roof section on that is also PVC.
Keep in mind that your awning assuming you have one will tend to keep the door side roof section slightly lower than the other side due to the extra weight.
Don't be scared to add silicone to the bottom section of your roof where it attaches to the van.

Cheers

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Heres a thing I was unaware of , I didnt know the roof was PVC plastic, not fibre glass. I was of the assumption that the whole van was fibre glass .
Cheers Doggy.

I did the same, got up on a ladder to wash the roof and found cracks. When the agent looked at it he said they would cut out the area with the cracks and re-fibreglass the section and then two pack the whole roof so there would be no difference over roof. He said the roof is fibreglass. He also found some ripples in the wall near the heater vent and would do the same repair on that fibreglass as well.

Ours is a pop-top, does that make a difference?

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Hey chartrock have you got your 14 back from the repair shop yet? Ours is booked in there too for the bed lid and would be keen to hear if you are happy with their work.

Not yet, Boots but expect it this week. I plan to drop into the workshop tomorrow to have a look so will let you know how it looks.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
We had water leaking above the front bed on ours. Turns out they didn't use enough silicon up there. When i climbed a ladder to have a look there was lots of gaps. Have since fixed it myself and no leaks anymore.
View attachment 6199

Sorry not a good photo but hope it may help.

That track was leaking on ours too. The thing with that track is that it leaks down in behind the cupboards etc. ours was leaking over the door . I striped back both sides and re silconed it, it was very lightly silconed IMO.

craigdi

Aug 21, 2010
Thanks all for the info I'm taking back to the dealer on Friday for them to look at. When I got on the ladder I could not see any issues hope they can find it.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I plan to drop into the workshop tomorrow to have a look so will let you know how it looks.

Called into the workshop today to have a look at the panda. Dennis was happy to take us out into the work area to see the van and it was sitting there with the tent half on, half off, the problem being Jayco had sent a 16' tent instead o f 14' and they had started to fit it without realising the wrong size. :doh: Jayco despatched the correct tent this morning so hopefully it will be sorted by the end of the week although with a public holiday on Thursday, who knows.

The van was wrapped in plastic to protect from overspray from other jobs and has yet to be detailed but I could not see where the repairs were carried out on the side, it had new decals already fitted and really looked good. Boots, I'll let you know as soon as it comes home and you can drop round for a look. :horn:

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Ours leaked after about 18 months, after many phone calls and emails Jayco agreed to re-seal, they said all the sealer was stuffed....probably bad batch!