Rock Tamers VS Stone Stompers

Wayne2410

Jun 5, 2011
Central Coast, NSW
:attention:

I'm trying to work out whether or not to get Rock Tamers or Stone Stompers for our new van which is due for delivery in a few weeks.

I understand they about the same price (about $500 each) but we can't afford both, if in fact both would fit, but we need to get something to protect the van as we are also off around Oz in October.

Does anyone have advice/experience regarding which setup gives the most protection?

Which one is easiest to fit & unfit during travels?

Any other advice and/or pro's & con's would be appreciated from those who already have one or the other.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Wayne,
I have a Stone Stomper that I fitted on our trip last year just before we hit the gravel up north. We did approx 6000k's of offroad/gravel and by the end of the trip it was pretty trashed. Don't get me wrong, it is a fantastic product and does its' job well but there are a few bits that I feel need more attention before it lasts. I couldn't use mine again if I wanted to.

I'd never heard of the Rock Tamers before we left and saw a set fitted to a 200LC while we were away and they certainly look substantial!!!!
I feel as though some rock will still get through between them though.

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
Hi Matt,

Since your order 18 months ago we now add reinforcing vinyl inserts to the spare tyre location and brake lever handle, if you would like to send me an email with some pictures of your stone stomper I can see if it is repairable with our vinyl inserts at no charge. stonestomper@bigpond.com

We have also have some customers run the Weight Distribution chains through the vinyl/mesh to lift the mesh higher under the A frame.

Here is some footage from a one of our customers with the 17.56-2 Expanda and 76LC wagon that has just done the same trip GGR, Kalumburu and the tip of Cape York

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcx_zsmjDXY&feature=youtu.be

Regards

Christian
image0007.jpg image0009.jpg image0018.jpg

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Hi Christian,
thanks for that offer, I will endeavour to get you some.
I must say that the attached images do make it sit higher and the bulk of my problems was the lack of reinforcing where the WDH bars sit on top of the stomper, plus a few broken elastics

BTW, there's a fair bit more water in the Pentecost in that video than when we went through last year...
PentecostRiver.jpg

Cheers,
Matt

PS. Sorry for the thread hijack Wayne...

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi Matt,

Since your order 18 months ago we now add reinforcing vinyl inserts to the spare tyre location and brake lever handle, if you would like to send me an email with some pictures of your stone stomper I can see if it is repairable with our vinyl inserts at no charge. stonestomper@bigpond.com

We have also have some customers run the Weight Distribution chains through the vinyl/mesh to lift the mesh higher under the A frame.

Here is some footage from a one of our customers with the 17.56-2 Expanda and 76LC wagon that has just done the same trip GGR, Kalumburu and the tip of Cape York

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcx_zsmjDXY&feature=youtu.be

Regards

Christian
View attachment 4949 View attachment 4950 View attachment 4951

Fantastic service!!!

And love the product :)

Any chance you can get the owner of the 17 onboard to tell his story???

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I'm on my 2nd StoneStomper, "why" I hear you ask! simple when I upgraded from my Swan to the Expanda I ordered a new one. I sold my original to another Swan owner who love it.

Both are awesome bits of equipment, and with product improvements my second one is even better.

The quality of the product is :first: rate :thumb:

As is the customer service from StoneStomper (Christian).:thumb:

Wayne2410

Jun 5, 2011
Central Coast, NSW

Hey Christian,

I'm SOLD on the Stone Stompers and will contact you as soon as our van arrives at the end of the month...

I have a couple of Q's

1. How long does it take to make & deliver as we leave for our OZ trip about a month after taking delivery of the van, will that be enough time?

2. I watched the YouTube video and seemed notice that the Landcruiser also had mud flaps attached to the Stone Stomper; I assume to give extra protection, is that correct? Have you seen it before, can it be done?

Thanks

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
Hi Wayne, manufacture and delivery is about 2 weeks so no problems with your time frame, we can also use our overnight courier service. With youtube clip I think he already had the mud flaps, there is no need for extra flaps when using the stone stomper, only if you have a new Prado 150 or 200LC the factory mud flaps need to be made longer as the under side of the bumper gets stone chips.

Hi Bigman, send me an email at stonestomper@bigpond and I will send through the information on how to take the measurements and we have several bar options that fit to the tow hitch of the vehicle to choose from.

Regards

Christian

Below is some pictures of the 200LC short mud flaps and the damage and also some extension ideas, the Prado has used Hilux mud flaps

005.jpg emflap.jpg IMG_0146.jpg PRADO150MUDFLAPS002.jpg

RIMG3059.jpg