RG Colorado - owners check .

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My RG Colorado is a DEC 2012 model, it has 110,000kms on it and today while giving it a service I happened to notice that the air box is starting to fall apart, the fittings for the 3 bolts which hold the lid on , one has a split and another has broken away from the housing..............whether heat and stress has taken it's toll I don't know but I'm not impressed, Zip Tie to rescue and all is good until I can source another or a totally differn't air box.

So if you have a Colorado which has a few miles on it give the bolts on the cover a look see, the lower one on mine was the one that broke away.............super glue doesn't work either...

Off to find a wreckers soon I think............for an air box not another vehicle, okay.........

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yes, I can't afford the vehicle I would really like ( and it's not a Nissan or a Cruiser but a Landy Dual cab/tray would be nice but not even one of them ) so the Holden is the next best thing, though they have a couple in a showroom in Gympie, big donk, so noice and terribly bogan.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Must be a one off, if so why me ?????????.................$164 will see me with a replacement airbox on Thursday, at that price it better not have so much as a scratch on it, small price to pay to stop dust or sand getting inside I suppose...............might even put some pics up after.

Can only agree with you @Smergen , it is a mongrel design, blocks the oil filter, bend hose to change oil or air filters, just like a Jayco,lack of thought in design.......

Reactions: skippy and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Here's some pics of the operation.........................all went well except there was one bolt, as usual, the design for the airbox was by a relative of the fella who designed the Mini I think......................a ratchet spanner was all that could do it, just......otherwise I needed to remove the header tank and the steel mounting frame for it............

airbox01.jpg

Showing the missing mounting lug, it had snapped clean off, once I had cleaned up the thing I noticed that the box had some grinding marks on it where the lid fitted and I believe it may have been a bad mould, since it would be out of sight no problem I suppose....The lid on the new unit fitted way easier than the old one also. The section with the grind marks is just above the word old in the pic.

Airbox02.jpg

All back together, no spare parts left, all good, also pointed out where the oil filter is hidden...
airbox03.jpg

PS: Also found the power steering return hose which runs under the air box was giving the inner guard a good polish, while it has a sleeve over it I fitted some thin rubber between it and the guard just to be safe....I do not want to remove the airbox again.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol and Smergen

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
and No Air Bag Recall on Colorado's...............................................................

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Fuel Filter Changing ................. the RG has dual filters with the pump combined in the unit and its slung under the vehicle, pax side on the chassis rail, steel bracket, alloy housing so the filters have a screw on cap made of plastic with a 27mm socket needed to remove the damn things, so today one decides to break, the bolt shaped bit of plastic just went , cursing as the first filter I changed was a bit yucky after 20K so must have picked some crap fuel last trip, luckily the screw on end caps are available, so have 2 with filters in the mail, $41, next week I can get viscous as I try to remove the broken one, probably have to take the pump off but at least its still running as I didn't get over enthusiastic.................... 170,000km so the plastic bit has had a good run I suppose................... My sump plug (not plastic) is still the original as well so cant see why they are supposed to be changed each service.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Replaced the damaged fuel filter with these https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/233250676929?ViewItem=&item=233250676929

unlike my normal filters these come with the end cap and found them to be a lot less brittle than the old units, will buy the whole unit in future I think.

To remove the damaged one I welded 2 x 6mm lugs of reo rod 20 mm apart onto a big heavy old 12" spanner, drilled 2 holes in the plastic filter housing and tapped the special tool into place and with a bit of heave hoing it unscrewed, thankfully..........

Pic showing the two filters.........fuel02.jpg

Johnanbev

Jul 7, 2013
Sunbury VIC.
Changed my 2012 Rg for a MY2018 last year, love it! it's got all the bells and wistles that others don't have and costs a darn sight less.
P.S. Don't know how to update my profile to reflect the new truck

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I'll go the Isuzu next time as it has the old style cup holders in front of the vents, keeps the drinks nice and cool.

Click on your Avatar on top right of page, then click on signature, change what you want then click on save, all done ....well should be.