Just Browsing Reversing camera plugs

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
how do people connect there reverse cameras ?

I have the curly lead with dedicated plug but tbh it's a pain screwing it in each time? I have been thinking of using a spare couple of pins in the 12pin trailer plug. I know others do it like that and it's just one less connection which is always a bonus .

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I have the "curly" lead as well (called a Wazza lead - why? I dont know)

I prefer its separate, but thats just me

Now you reminded me @bigcol yes it's a Wozza and no I don't know why either. Just that fine thread is getting on my tit . Iam putting a new bar on the Cruza and thinking can I simplfy this?

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
mine are push in type, not screw in - so mucho easier
(Polaris system ) 4 pin connectors

$_57c.JPG

IMAG0626a.jpg

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I have the curly lead with dedicated plug but tbh it's a pain screwing it in each time?
Also have the screw in plugs (Damned if I know where they got the name from????)... Haven't found them to be too much of an issue as yet! Originally they seemed to bind when screwing together but a bit of silicon spray helped that.

mine are push in type, not screw in - so mucho easier
So that's why I had problems disconnecting it in December ;)

Have also heard of others connecting them via the 12 pin plugs and one I have seen was utilising 3 pin waterproof connectors.
56293.jpg
Similar to these.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
I use 3 of the spare pins of the 12pin plug haven't had a problem with it yet. I did it that way because on less thing to plug in and it was there and didn't have to buy extra hardware for both my tow cars. Only prob if towed with a different car and wiring isn't the same could damage the camera.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
I just use the small lead ends that came with the camera set. I have one ran up along the trailer lead gaffa taped to it to the end.
The last Auto Elec wanted us to put a wazza in when we got the D4 I said happy the small pins.
They slide in and you screw up the connector we do not go offroad and between 2 vans done a few k's.

I did say to him I was thinking of doing it on 12pin he was better to keep seperate.
Although when I said I was thinking of staying with the 7 in the Disco and getting a anderson he said better to stay all on the 12 pin :)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I had the cam working thru the 12 pin like @Tone, worked well, even let me know when the 12 pin had a melt down, cam died and found 12 pin melted from fridge connection.................now using a 7 pin, no pins for cam so went to Jaycar and got a 2 pin Mic socket and use that......

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Full colour, 90 deg camera with the biggest screen, if you go for a rear mirror mount then go the one that replaces the whole mirror not just clips over, too heavy for the mounting.......
Most are the same chinese units with various labels, Safety Dave or Brash Imports are a good choice

Reactions: alexvk2 and bigcol

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Mine also goes through the 12 pin. Needs a wiggle every now and then but otherwise works well

Last edited:
Reactions: dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I forked out a small fortune 10 years ago for the Polaris system
2 4WDs
2 different Vans
still going strong

they are expensive, but damn good value in my opinion

I have one camera above the number plate on the Patrol, and one on the back bumper of the Van
7" screen next to the gear lever on the console, can have Camera A (car) or camera B (Van) running 24/7 whilst driving if I really want to
easy as

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Mine also goes through the 12 pin. Needs a wiggle every now and then but otherwise works well
Have you tried spreading the pin apart a little @Bellbirdweb ? Over time (from the wiggle to /plug/unplug the cable) the pins actually close up. Autoelec showed me - just insert a small screwdriver into the pin (they all have a split) and spread it apart slightly.

Ssil2000

Jan 27, 2017
Adelaide
i like the idea of using the 12pin plug for the camera... i wonder if you can then run the cable the car and have it discreetly positioned so i just plug the monitor in when i need it and there's no cables just hanging out of the dash?

probably a stupid question

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Have you tried spreading the pin apart a little @Bellbirdweb ? Over time (from the wiggle to /plug/unplug the cable) the pins actually close up. Autoelec showed me - just insert a small screwdriver into the pin (they all have a split) and spread it apart slightly.
No I haven't but am aware of that trick.

I never think if it until I get the fuzzy picture which is invariably as I'm reversing into a site, so a quick wiggle usually fixes it.

Will try to remember to check the pins.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
i like the idea of using the 12pin plug for the camera... i wonder if you can then run the cable the car and have it discreetly positioned so i just plug the monitor in when i need it and there's no cables just hanging out of the dash?

probably a stupid question
No reason you couldn't do that.

Reactions: Ssil2000

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just hide the cable under the dash mat I suppose, usually only an RCA plug or similar, mine is the rear view mirror shows behind van or behind the ute.....

Always a good idea to regularly check the gap of the pins on 12 or 7 pin plugs, sort of like the points, if no gap poor connection and with a fridge power possible melt down.