Reporting faults to Jayco

Paul Costa

Apr 15, 2012
Melbourne
:panda:Absolutely fantastic. This just proves the beauty of this forum. Put it out there and a thousand answers will come up.
I did my research before the purchase, and yes Jayco had the best service by far. It also holds its value quite well... and
i'm sure i will love every km travelled with it. It was merely a question as to whether Jayco was aware of such a forum, because... lets face it, it is about expandas and expandas only. Their own product.
Our fellow Pander's here have solved every problem that could possibly happen to those vans and in my belief Jayco would learn a lot by listening to such people. Who knows... they may even name a van with this site... " The DownUnder Panda" lol. A van with no issues at all.
Finally, i can do no more but wait anxiously for my delivery, and then i will ask our fellow members for advice on all the mods. Thank you all for putting my mind at ease. Cheers

Paul

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
We're on our 4th jayco if the minor problems were that bad and didn't get fixed we would have looked else where .
You hear all sorts of things about all make caravans but I can tell you no matter what the problem was at the end jayco fixed it where others left you high and dry

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
my only issue being the water pump when not connected to mains (i.e. when free camping) - air is getting into system somewhere - I am going to replace the clear PVC water lines with food grade ones and put on better clamps.

Bill, I had a smiliar problem and mentioned this to our dealer.

The serivice manager said straight away, that I need a one way valve on the manual hand pump, as this allows the water to slowly flow back creating an air bubble. This then creates a situation where the electric pump sucks air and does not pressurise.

We got our van back for its' service and they installed a one way valve and it now works a treat.

Something to think about when you talk to your service agen next.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
I had my van in for a service on Tuesday and found the Service staff in Caravan land here in W.A. to be very professional, very friendly, and eager to please. I have had a few minor issues with my van, but nothing that would stop me from buying another one ! Just a thought, but maybe the reason that we see a lot of problems with vans here on the forums is that people join the forum to get an answer to problem they have with their van, maybe a thread to find out why people have joined could be a plan? Probably a lot more people out there who aren't members and have had no problems, 90 vans a week (according to the Jayco video) is a lot of Vans. But in saying all that yes I do think someone needs to check the latches on their Quality control Gates

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
We are on our 2nd Jayco with the 1st being an OB Hawk and the 2nd our Expanda and I wouldn't hesitate a 3rd. We bought off two different dealers (both new) and they were both great to deal with.

Any issues I have had were fixed (only minor) no questions asked and even one item got fixed as an extra that I didn't request. As others have said the memories that created from getting out and enjoying you van will outway any problems that may arise.

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Nah, Mr Costa, I'd be very very worried if I was you... Been getting reports that expandas coming out of the factory around June time frame are going to be riddled with issues, especially the ones that have been ordered with every conceivable option.

Drizzlingje

Oct 27, 2011
We found that the only small issues we ever had with either of our two jaycos were minor and all related to additional options, they are pretty good at the cooker cutter approach and do offer exceptional value. Being told by other dealerships that they are not as good because they are mass produced I actually see as a benefit. As with most purchases in life the easiest feedback to find is the negative feedback, with such a market share the reality is that the amount of negative feedback about our vans is minimal, however the loudest ducks get the bread.

Gaz70

Banned
Sep 14, 2011
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
jim u hit the nail on the head......keep them pumping out of the factory and let the dealer fix what is wrong.......Jayco vans are built to a price, their warranty and service are second to none...i say keep up with the good work and product!!!!!

kolega

Jan 16, 2012
Nah, Mr Costa, I'd be very very worried if I was you... Been getting reports that expandas coming out of the factory around June time frame are going to be riddled with issues, especially the ones that have been ordered with every conceivable option.

So why would expanses delivered in June have more faults than normal, it does not make sense or am I missing something in your comment?

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Mr Costa and I happen to be mates outside the forum so I know that he's expecting his expanda in june'ish with every option you could get... So I just got my wooden spoon out to stir a little that's all :)

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
Hey, Dont let internet forums worry you, as mentioned it is a small handful of complaints in comparison to the large numbers they produce...

Our Panda is just about to hit 12 months old. We have only had some very small issues, fixed myself to save taking the van to Jayco, about a 2 hour drive away. That said I can fault the warranty from Jayco. Our seat backs have started to have the "peel" effect. Like a jumper gets when it gets old. Little fluff balls on the material. We sent some photos and due to the age I was expecting them to say fair ware and tear. They said thats fine, it should not do that, and it is booked in in July to get both seat backs replaced. I think that is awesome warranty...

Enjoy your new Panda...

Tailor

Jun 2, 2012
Newport Qld
I think the general comments about Jayco are correct. They are a mass produced van, built to a price and pretty good value for their cost. However they must be lacking personell in their department which deals with owners.
I recently emailed them asking if the axles on my 16.49OB can be underslung without causing any problems, and the cup numbers and seal number for my wheel bearings. So far I haven't had any response, and really don't expect one. Having only done about 3500 klms I don't really want to remove the cups and seals just to find the numbers, but I do want to carry spare bearings just in case and would hate to be out in the sticks with the incorrect cups or seals and have a problem.

I should add I got a prompt reply as to where to buy a new Sectec ST20, when I mentioned it was definitely a safety issue. So guess they must read emails, even if they don't reply to them.

It's really a shame. The reason I buy some stuff for my van on the internet is the convenience and the service. Price is a secondary consideration most times.

Feldty

May 31, 2012
Wangaratta, Vic
Firstly, I apologize for being a little long winded... lol

Most comments in my opinion are spot on oin this thread.
Might as well have a crack at adding my 2 cents worth I guess.

We bought a Jayco Camper 18 months ago, from a local dealer, brand new without a lot of research. Our camper was one of the first of the line in the 2011 version and we had our fair share of teething problems. I could list the faults we had but it would be a long list. If any one is interested I am happy to PM them on it.

After things started to go wrong, I started to do a fair amount of research on forums like this one and honestly, I was shocked at the negative feedback. I initially thought what the heck have we gotten our selves into here. Well after several trips back to the dealer, and lots of complaining, we eventually decided to trade it in, as we were fed up well and truly. It seemed that every time we took it away, it would come back with more problems than we left with. To a certain extent, every time it come back from the dealer it would come back with more problems that it went in with. We said, never again would we buy a Jayco.

So then come the big question, what do we buy now. We decided that we would upgrade to an expanda style van due to the kids and the extra room etc, so I spent several months researching, talking to dealers, and reading forums / articles. Firstly we really liked the Paramount duet and the Windsor Rapid. So off we went to look over the vans of choice. After hours of opening drawings closing doors and setting up packing up, we were far from impressed with either model. It just so happened that there was a Jayco dealer directly across the road, so I said to the wife (Bec), lets just go and have a look to compare quality.

After owning the Camper, we had a fair idea of what to look for, and honestly, the Jayco in our opinion beat both the other vans easily in quality. The chassis on the Jayco's is near on twice the size of the other vans just for a start, and honestly most internal features were just as good if not better. Reading forums, both the Windsor and the Paramount had there issues as well, and if you look hard enough, just as many as the Jayco's. So we walked away and started researching prices. We found that the Jayco was in excess of 15K less in purchase price than both the Paramount and the Windsor, so there we were, back to the Jayco. The question I asked myself was how much can I fix for 15K, and the answer was a lot.

We had a fairly bad run with the dealer from Albury, so we decided to give Bendigo a go this time round even though they were slightly more expensive.

What I think it comes down to is attitude. When we bought the camper brand new, we expected it be like a new car, no problems and just use it, take it back for a service and all would be sorted out. This as we all no is far from the fact and second time around, we have our eyes wide open. This time we expect some issues, we know some of what to look for (thanks to this site) and plan to fix most things that we can our self, rather than complaining to the dealer and waiting weeks for them to fix. All the negativity simply puts a sour taste on our holidays that we may as well avoid if possible. I will travel with a tool box, like others have mentioned on here and will expect to use it from time to time.

One suggestion is that perhaps we should put together a toolbox kit on this site, of suggestions of what is needed. Given all the experiences on this site, it may help out everyone with having just the right tools for the right job.

Looking back now at the camper, we probably had most of the issues sorted out, and the person buying the van has probably got a great camper with everything that could be fixed now fixed. The new van may have a few months of Pain, but we expect to keep this one for years of enjoyment.

Kevin & Bec.

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
Well said,

To carry on from the last post.......

My Uncle proudly bought a Rapid, not even two years old he wants a full van with an ensuite but the clincher is he paid 55k for the Rapid & he is advertising it for 35k it is in immaculate condition like all his stuff is but..... sit it next to my 17.56-2 and compare what you get as far as value for mney goes & its no wonder why he has not even had a phone call or email about his van.

the other issue he has that us Joyco owners dont seem to have is that although the Rapid my uncle has was worth 55k when new Windsor dropped 10k off the price only a few months later and now they also chuck in the S pack which only includes things that Jayco owners get as standard!

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Good post, Feldty. I think you have said what most on this forum believe. Jayco build to a price and what is not right after purchase will be fixed under warranty and we end up with a van we can enjoy.

Ozwitch

May 15, 2012
Melbourne
Jayco's model seems to be purely production-line based a la the Model T ford. It's all about keeping the line going and getting the volume through. Any issues get fixed up after delivery by the dealer. Which is fine if that is what everybody understands, and how they keep the prices down.

I think a lot of people have a misconception about Jayco because they expect their van to be perfect on delivery without realising that this would make their van much more expensive. It's a difficult model to understand, but it makes perfect sense once you actually know about it, and as long as your dealer comes through with the goods.

Problems arise when the dealers try and stiff the customers on service and warranty items, or the customer has expectations that don't line up with the particular model that Jayco use. I for one am happy to pay less and have the problems fixed than to pay a very large amount, upwards of $80k, to STILL have problems, without the support that Jayco provide.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
My roof has moved towards the Awning side 20-30mm, I have shown the dealer. Jayco are trying to work out how it has happened, and they are pointing the finger square at me. Because the roof has shifted, there are some screws that have rubbed holes in the pop top skirt, it would be a big job to replace. I hope jayco realise that I want to turn this van over in a couple of years, and If i have dramas now I might have to consider what van I am going to upgrade to.... I will keep you informed.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Good luck bigman, stick it too em. I personally think this happens because of the weight of the awning when out especially when roped down. I use roof supports on the awning side but don't know if it makes allot of difference. Just don't take no for an answer, speaking from experience if you keep on em they will give!

Cheers.