Exterior Replacing camec door flyscreen with midge mesh

BigChris

Aug 22, 2021
Byron Bay
Has anyone had any experience in replacing the metal security door screen of an Outback Expanda? We are doing lots of camping along the Northern Rivers beaches resulting in a screen looking very sad with rusty spots all over it. Have done fair a bit of online searching without any luck finding instructions / replacement parts.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Has anyone had any experience in replacing the metal security door screen of an Outback Expanda? We are doing lots of camping along the Northern Rivers beaches resulting in a screen looking very sad with rusty spots all over it. Have done fair a bit of online searching without any luck finding instructions / replacement parts.
My best guess is youll have to pull the frame apart

Reactions: BigChris

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I thought they were fitted like a crimsafe mesh, sandwiched between the door panels.... If its just because of rust spots I would remove door, give it a wire brush then a spray with Killrust Galmet in colour of choice then a top coat in gloss, be better than original, dust left on mesh is a sure fire invitation for rust or mould when on coast, we live with it daily..............
I would guess to get a replacement panel would require a trip to the a window and door shop with door, cost would be horrible either that or a new door, again an arm and a leg.

Reactions: BigChris

BigChris

Aug 22, 2021
Byron Bay
I thought they were fitted like a crimsafe mesh, sandwiched between the door panels.... If its just because of rust spots I would remove door, give it a wire brush then a spray with Killrust Galmet in colour of choice then a top coat in gloss, be better than original, dust left on mesh is a sure fire invitation for rust or mould when on coast, we live with it daily..............
I would guess to get a replacement panel would require a trip to the a window and door shop with door, cost would be horrible either that or a new door, again an arm and a leg.
Yes, that's a good idea. We noticed small condensation droplets building on the mesh in various places when we were camping right on the beach. We didn't think to remove them straight away ... the salt in those droplets has caused the rust ... very quickly :oops:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Looks the goods, keeps out March Flies and Butcher Birds but the locks they use, well my horses could open it after watching me open it once or twice, even if I locked it..But it beats fly wire for sure and really if security was an issue you would stay at-home.