Removing lock barrel

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
Yes a guide and pics would be great to solve this riddle :)!!!

Ill offer two free bumper stickers for the person who can solve it down to the least amount of keys with pics and extra bonus points with a shower toilet hatch key included :).....

Hmm I've already done mine so a guide would be difficult but I can tell you I now have:
  • 1 key for the water tank
  • 1 key for the hardtops
  • 1 key for the front door, front compartments and toilet
That's the best I could manage I'm afraid.

What do you want piccies of?

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hmm I've already done mine so a guide would be difficult but I can tell you I now have:
  • 1 key for the water tank
  • 1 key for the hardtops
  • 1 key for the front door, front compartments and toilet
That's the best I could manage I'm afraid.

What do you want piccies of?

Any chance brookes of selling your van and upgrading to a newer model with the newer latches and then swap all of your locks?
Then take your pics.
That would help a lot.
Any chance of doing all of that by this weekend?:biggrin1:

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
cant believe they don't just simplify the whole system and make them all the same!
Wow HTR, You're not a rocket scientist are you?
Any truth in rumour of keyed alike locks being offered as an option in 2015 OR 2016?
To be generous, I think Jayco reckon one key would be far too easy to lose.
I've got 8 locks with 5 different keys just for the Xpanda. Colour coded them but can never remember which colour goes where! Then 4 regularly used padlocks (TV aerial, WeberQ security chain), plus Towball and Hitch pin locks = another 6 keys. Obviously a bunch of 11 keys are much harder to lose.
I'm just the exception that proves the rule, unfortunately.:ambivalence:

Reactions: Lara

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
Any chance brookes of selling your van and upgrading to a newer model with the newer latches and then swap all of your locks?
Then take your pics.
That would help a lot.
Any chance of doing all of that by this weekend?:biggrin1:

Mate I'm all over that like a fat kid on a cupcake! Just as soon as I see the $$$ you have transferred to my bank account.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
I took 1 of each complete handles , the bed end and the hatch to Camec Today to try and get the right sort of housing for the "One lock fits all" key system and this is what the dude behind the counter told me " Oh you have a Jayco" Well the only lock on a Jayco that our one key fits all system fits is the entry door! there is an adaptor for the Thetford cassette door as well and Jayco won't come on board with trying to fit in with the Camec system! It might have been a good idea if this vital piece of info had have been passed on to me when I shelled out the $$ for the Locks, anyhoo... I have discovered the barrels are the same as my Canopy so I am going to use the barrels on my canopy and the entry door on the Van that way I will have one less key on my keyring

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
It might have been a good idea if this vital piece of info had have been passed on to me when I shelled out the $$ for the Locks,...

Mmmm. I can't even do front door! Camec certainly need to be a bit more honest in their advertising.

One Key Solution For ALL Your Locks!
Caravan and RV vehicles are equipped with a variety of doors, hatches, vents and outlets that are fitted with different locks requiring different keys to unlock each one. Camec now has a solution that allows you to upgrade each of them so you need only one key to unlock all of them.
Locks must already be Camec door locks and may require additional purchases.
Will not suit Jayco (60% of RV market) or RV's with fancier or more substantial locks.
Good Luck!!!!
Glad you found a use for some of your locks.
I'll try and pass mine on to someone with "other brand" van (although suspect their locks might already be keyed alike!).

imagardnr

Sep 27, 2018
Perth
Reviving an old thread in the hope of some help.

On the 2015 hard tops (bed ends) the barrel can be removed by pressing in the small brass lock slide on the end of the barrel when in the unlocked position

For the Coast hatches (these are meant to be non removable) a small hole needs to be drilled in the right location on the back of the barrel housing. The barrel can then be removed per the bed end barrels

Haven't got to the main door but I'm just trying to get down to 2 keys, 1 door, 1 hatches/lids

Once barrels are removed, head to your local friendly locksmith who will modify them to your preferred key for a fee, or just stick your favourite key in and use a Dremel to file off the end of the pins that still stick out.

My problem is that I have five "BXX" barrels and two "AXX" barrels and all key plates need to be the same for the above to work.

Anyone want to swap 2 Coast "AXX" short barrels (hatches with compression latches) for 2 "BXX" short barrels?

Hoping this finds someone in the same boat...or caravan.

Cheers.