Removing lock barrel

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hi all,

Does anyone know the trick to removing the lock barrels from the various hatches on the van?
I purchased a set of those one key fits all kits and thought this would be an easy job to swap them over. So far no good.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Thanks for that boots. I have been trying to work out what the red key really does and I think it's purpose is to sallow a small metal tag to retract. I suspect that metal tag is what keeps the barrel in place.
So I suspect that Jayco must have an equivalent red key for their brand.
Unless of course some one out there has another lock picking suggestion.

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
I replaced all mine, well all the hatches and front door. The guts of it is you unlock and open the door then you disassemble from the back. Install the replacement bits and the new barrel effectively just pushes in. Critical is the orientation of the new parts and the barrel and the doco is not real helpful there. I haven't really used the red key for jack. As I understand it you only need to use it to remove the barrel.

The instructions aren't too bad but like I said it's counter-intuitive concerning the barrel orientation.

Now the front door was a PITA because it took me a little while to find one of the screws and when I removed it I have a bunch or door bits on the ground. All turned out well in the end and I turned 4 keys into 1. I'd love it if I could get barrels for the font and rear hard lids, but alas...

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Found I need to replace lock assembly before Camec key alike barrels. On the back burner.
I have sets of keys everywhere now since I lost the originals! Have sep door keys on lanyards for each person. Hatch, water, toilet cassette, drop down table etc on individual tags in cupboard as well. Expect to receive award from Locksmiths Association any day.

Reactions: Lara

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Found I need to replace lock assembly before Camec key alike barrels. On the back burner.
I have sets of keys everywhere now since I lost the originals! Have sep door keys on lanyards for each person. Hatch, water, toilet cassette, drop down table etc on individual tags in cupboard as well. Expect to receive award from Locksmiths Association any day.

Big pat on the back for you XPandafan!
My husband started his career as a locksmith some 25 years ago and he would be impressed with your efforts.
When we were at Crescent Head at Christmas the people arrived at the site next to us. I watched as they and others from surrounding sites were trying to pry open the door with screwdrivers and hammers. I politely went over to see what they were doing. Their son had borrowed their caravan a few months earlier and forgot to put their only set of keys back in their glove box.
I told them to wait half an hour till my husband was out of the surf, as I knew he could help them. Which the wife seemed relieved to hear.
Thankfully andrew had his lock picking tools in the car and unlocked their door in about 30 seconds flat.
Like you XPandafan, everyone should always carry extra sets of keys with them because the chances of setting up next to someone with lock picking tools must be a million to one!

RidgePanda

Mar 5, 2013
Barden Ridge

I know your pain, I went from 1 key to open everything in the camper trailer to multiple keys..........I have the door keey and everything else is inside, full set in the triton, wife has door key, and just in case spare set hidden in house (so that no one else can grab them and use them) if all else fail they can post and we sleep outside for a couple of days!

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I replaced all mine, well all the hatches and front door. The guts of it is you unlock and open the door then you disassemble from the back. Install the replacement bits and the new barrel effectively just pushes in. Critical is the orientation of the new parts and the barrel and the doco is not real helpful there. I haven't really used the red key for jack. As I understand it you only need to use it to remove the barrel.

The instructions aren't too bad but like I said it's counter-intuitive concerning the barrel orientation.

Now the front door was a PITA because it took me a little while to find one of the screws and when I removed it I have a bunch or door bits on the ground. All turned out well in the end and I turned 4 keys into 1. I'd love it if I could get barrels for the font and rear hard lids, but alas...
Have you got the newer style latches brookes? Mine are the newer style.
I looked behind but the barrel seems to sit in a sealed housing.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Sheesh... when these locks came in the mail I lay them beside the door till this morning. We were going out for the day but I said to her just give me 15 minutes to install these babies. As is always the case, what seems easy to finish never is.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Yes a guide and pics would be great to solve this riddle :)!!!

Ill offer two free bumper stickers for the person who can solve it down to the least amount of keys with pics and extra bonus points with a shower toilet hatch key included :).....

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria

Ill offer two free bumper stickers for the person who can solve it down to the least amount of keys with pics and extra bonus points with a shower toilet hatch key included :).....
Luckily I purchased enough stickers!
Aaarrgh!!! Bad memories. I decided to replace the lock on the toilet hatch when I lost my keys (The locksmith was getting a bit edgy as I was keeping him from an AFL Grand Final BBQ and its the one lock I missed) It took hours to force it open without damage, then the old lock disassembled itself when I undid the screws. The new one came all in parts and had no instructions.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Luckily I purchased enough stickers!
Aaarrgh!!! Bad memories. I decided to replace the lock on the toilet hatch when I lost my keys (The locksmith was getting a bit edgy as I was keeping him from an AFL Grand Final BBQ and its the one lock I missed) It took hours to force it open without damage, then the old lock disassembled itself when I undid the screws. The new one came all in parts and had no instructions.

LOL who needs instructions :)!!!!

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle

Ok, I'll just leave everything unlocked and just lock the main door.....one key, does that count? :biggrin:

Reactions: relgate and Lara

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Spoke to Bayswater Jayco. Response was that they don't even get a master key so good luck in getting your own key.
They then directed me to their local locksmith that they use when they have a lock issue.
Seems back to front for me, but short of a quick google, looks like I am heading down the path of a locksmith to remove the barrels.