17' Series Relocating Battery Switch

BTS

Mar 1, 2013
Sydney
Apologies if this has been covered in another thread, as was unable to locate one. However we are looking at relocating the battery switch in our 2013 17.56-1 as it is located at the bottom of the dinette seat and constantly gets turned off when someone is sitting in the seat.
Just wondering what others have done to overcome this and the position others have moved it to.

Thanks
Brett

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
From memory I'm sure someone here has posted pics of a clear plastic cover they fitted due to the same reason?

daznmel

Oct 21, 2013
I am convinced that there is no blueprint Jayco follow when it comes to installing battery switches.. They seem to turn up in all sorts of different places..
My switch is located at the bottom of the cabinet for the Microwave. I mean right at the bottom same level as the the sink. I am worried it will get covered in water from the dishes.
My mates 17.56.2 has it located at the end of the sink cupboard opposite the fridge. Great for the kids to turn it off as they go pass.
I have seen them also located in the recess under the microwave, my preferred location.

I too have seen the clear plastic cover fitted in this site somewhere.. It was someone with the same problem as my mate with it located at end of cupboard, and people turning switches off accidentally.

Darren

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
  • Supercheap have toggle switch safety guards like Aircraft armament switche, just the shot. 325143.jpg

Last edited:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Ages ago I made Perspex covers up for ours. Worked a treat. I think Burnsy was going to make them and offer them up for sale?

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Apologies if this has been covered in another thread, as was unable to locate one. However we are looking at relocating the battery switch in our 2013 17.56-1 as it is located at the bottom of the dinette seat and constantly gets turned off when someone is sitting in the seat.
Just wondering what others have done to overcome this and the position others have moved it to.

Thanks
Brett
Thank goodness ours has been placed above head height behind the settee on the fridge wall cabinet, right next to the solar panel indicators. Best place as can see at a glance status of solar and 12V battery switch position.
This is where they should be positioned.
In our Penguin, the switch was at floor level, under the smaller fridge next to the hot water switch and fuse panel.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
It always seemed logical to me that the battery switch should be near the door. So it's the last thing you isolate leaving and first to turn on coming in. On the 16:49-3 it was a proverbial pain under the lounge. I used like using the a frame tap to wash up after pack up then you had to get into the van and root through tables etc to isolate it, same for a dunny break.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
I leave the battery switch on all the time. Why turn it off?
Now the water pump is a different question altogether.
What do others do?
Yes, I have a roof solar panel

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Water pump OFF, battery switch OFF mainly in case a cupboard door opens or comes ajar the cupboard lights will come on or toilet pump starts up by itself as has happened to some.