Cheap Fix for Battery/Pump/HW Switches that you keep bumping

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
Well, after our lovely experience with the gas hot water fire and sick of switching them off each time the kids get in or out of the lounge area I have found a very cheap fix.

Total cost $2.99 from FDB (cheapy shop) and also got 3 magnets or highlighters for that price anyway.
img0819dl.jpg

Just had to unscrew the switch's and cut a hole in the back of the plastic container to match the holes already in the panel
img0822fn.jpg
img0827bk.jpg
img0828nf.jpg

Cheap and simple and should work fine. Just have to unclip the bottom clips to open and then clip shut. No more bumping the silly switch's on all the time.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Good thinking 99, I mean gspy4u.....I remember someone else doing that with a cable tie box!

Cheers.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Holy crap!!
How easy is that.
Love it and look out for my 2yo. No more flicking switches for her. :thumb:
Thanks for the idea.

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
Mate, genius, I have to steal this idea and install in my van. Nice one.

Cheers
Mike

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Great idea, well done, never really had that problem though (older kids) our pump switch is different its on the tank/battery monitor.

It's got me stuffed why Jayco put the switches down low, I know its near the power supply, but are they just to damn lazy to run longer cables to place them up higher, Most other manufactures manage it.

KATO

Jan 29, 2012
Wollongong N.S.W.
Wow, what a very simple but effective solution to overcoming the kids playing with the switches, i was looking just last week about repositioning my hotwater switch after the kids were playing with it and running out of hot water.

Cheers,

Chris

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
it's a bit primitive I know, but I use a bit of electrical tape to hold our switches in position.

Works really well, white tape would look nicer but who cares.

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
I'm going to have to claim dibs on this one, :)
I did a similar thing a couple of months ago...

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/1732-Switch-Covers/page2?highlight=My+solution

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9289&d=1347520658

Latest update:
Cover has worked well but has now broken. My 3 yr old cracked it wide open with her head!
It is a cheap fix so I think I will do same again. I've noticed bunnings and others have 'storage boxes' that might suit.

:nod:
Ah but did it only cost $2.95 with spare 3 pack of markers or magnets included ? :)

Good cheap ideas hey, still if Jayco had any brains and didn't try to penny pinch with short wiring they would put it up out of the way as standard. I bought a spare as well as if and when they break it then it's an easy fix again.