Regulator/Hose from a Camp Stove to a LCC27 Gas bottle

Just the two of us

Mar 19, 2023
Umina Beach, NSW
Most are aware that the gas industry is in a transition to LCC27 valves on gas bottles, that will result in industry-standard universal valves becoming obsolete in the short-term. From a safety perspective, this makes sense.
We use a traditional 2-burner camp stove due to its light weight, small footprint, transportability and relative low price after assessing that the Webber Q type BBQs would be overkill for 2 adults.
After our 4kg LPG bottle reached end-of-life, we have endeavored to embrace the future and purchase a 4kg (or thereabouts) cylinder with LCC27 fittings.
Good in theory, less-so in practice.
Have been unable to find a compatible LC227 to stove hose/regulator. Have even failed to find an adaptor, which is technically a "no-no" as the new standard disallows adaptors as they may allow gas to escape which is the big safety feature of LCC27.
Have even emailed a number of gas stove manufacturers (names withheld but pretty obvious) for a solution, but to-date have not had a response.
So, am reaching out to the Expander brains-trust to see if anyone has a solution or experience.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Let me get this right, you want to connect your old stove with a POL fitting into a new gas bottle with a LC227 valve ?? If thats the case its not a problem as the old POL will fit into the new valve so oyur stove is good to go, a new stove with aLC227 fitting won't fit into a bottle with a POL fitting though....

Did a thread on it last year somewhere, stand by........................... scroll down the page here to technical and a pdf file will cover it, even has pics to show whats right and whats not ....https://www.gasenergyaus.au/policies.html

I would have just taken the old bottle to Bunnings and swapped it, you can tell them you don't want some old daggy one and get one thats even new, a couple of mine are brand new jobs.

Reactions: Boots in Action

Just the two of us

Mar 19, 2023
Umina Beach, NSW
HI Drover.
While do get befuddled with all the fitting options, it's my understanding the camp stove has a 3/8 female BSP fitting.

We actually did do the Bunnings swap selecting a unmarked -likely new- 3.8kg bottle with LC224 fittings. All the bottles with the 3/8 male BSP fitting were in a pretty ordinary condition and the "gas-guy" at Bunnings told me that they will be returning all the 3/8 fitting gas bottles "in the next few weeks".

Just the two of us

Mar 19, 2023
Umina Beach, NSW

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Oh I get you your bottle didn't have a POL fitting, now I'm with you ............. I have a BSP to POL but its a female POL...................... I would be looking for a stand alone regulator either POL or LC227 and then look for a hose to fit with possibly a small joiner adaptor, finding one complete would be difficult, I know its a confusing situation, I chucked my stove and lights that ran that style a long time ago though have a selection of adapters, nice brass jobs too good throw out .... try Barbeques Galore they often have a wider range of fittings but I know for certain brands its problematic, I had Primus gear so of course other brands never wanted to fit...

Last edited:
Reactions: KECL

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Is this what you might want ??

1680501139156.png
...3/8 lH thread to POL ?? the POL will screw into the LC227.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
If you get a 3/8 to POL adapter, will that not fit a cylinder with an LC224 Valve?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/gasmate-3-8-straight-brass-gas-adaptor_p3170716

Mike
Yes Mike @mikerezny, I had to purchase that type of adaptor/connector to connect my 8.5 kg and my 4.0kg gas bottles to my 3-way external fridges which had male 3/8lh thread input connector . And yes @Drover , I purchased one of the R/A type as well. Very cheap at Bunnings and once on gas bottle fits fine. But I must remember to remove same when exchanging bottles.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
As far as I can tell, this is the same connections as the one I posted but without the right-angle bend.
Here is the straight one from BCF:
https://www.bcf.com.au/p/companion-pol-to-3/8-lh-adaptor/310509.html?cgid=BCF024010#start=11
Correct Mike @mikerezny , but at twice the price that Bunnings charges. I went through that routine when looking for adaptors and told them that their price was twice the price of another store, and they said they would "price match". Too late I told them!!! Will always try the Bunnings store for non specific camping parts BEFORE I have to resort to a camping store, although a good gas store will often have more choice.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
As far as I can tell, this is the same connections as the one I posted but without the right-angle bend.
Here is the straight one from BCF:
https://www.bcf.com.au/p/companion-pol-to-3/8-lh-adaptor/310509.html?cgid=BCF024010#start=11
Yep, I must admit I didnt click your link, I was on coffee break from lawn mowing, so was not in good frame of mind. I think I have one in my gas box bits actually, just have to have a dig around..Mate turned up with a dicky Fiat, another victory but threw my days plan out the window....... I hate Fiats now.

• Sad

Just the two of us

Mar 19, 2023
Umina Beach, NSW
Hi everyone. Thanks for the spirited interest. The pic below shows the old gas bottle (that is 13 years old) with a 3/8 male fitting while the stove has a 3/8 female fitting. The other pic is of the old hose shows the 3/8 female fitting that connects to the bottle, while the 3/8 male fitting goes into the stove.

Interestingly, surfed the camp stove range of the 5 leading brands. While all stoves come with a hose, none of the hoses have LCC27 fittings, instead the hoses have the traditional 3/8 male & female fitting or a POL & 3/8 male fitting hose. In fact there is no mention at all of LSC27! It may well be that the humble camp stove has been overlooked and may well end up as a relic destined for the Powerhouse Museum (or tip).

So... what I need in the "new safe gas world" is a hose/regulator with a 3/8 BSP male at one end (that fits into the stove) with a LCC27 fitting at the other end that attaches to the bottle. And sourcing this appears to be more challenging than comprehending the Matrix trilogy. Perhaps I need to take the blue pill...

Roger

Attachments

• Gas bottle and fitting.jpg
    Gas bottle and fitting.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 105
  • Hose.jpg
    Hose.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 94

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Correct Mike @mikerezny , but at twice the price that Bunnings charges. I went through that routine when looking for adaptors and told them that their price was twice the price of another store, and they said they would "price match". Too late I told them!!! Will always try the Bunnings store for non specific camping parts BEFORE I have to resort to a camping store, although a good gas store will often have more choice.
Yes, I knew that, the Bunnings site does not specifically state that the 3/8 thread is LH, although it is obvious from the photo. So I searched other sites to find one that specifically stated 3/8" LH thread.
I had one of these to connect our portable gas stove to our spare 9kg bottle but couldn't be bothered carrying an external stove.

take care
Mike

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi everyone. Thanks for the spirited interest. The pic below shows the old gas bottle (that is 13 years old) with a 3/8 male fitting while the stove has a 3/8 female fitting. The other pic is of the old hose shows the 3/8 female fitting that connects to the bottle, while the 3/8 male fitting goes into the stove.

Interestingly, surfed the camp stove range of the 5 leading brands. While all stoves come with a hose, none of the hoses have LCC27 fittings, instead the hoses have the traditional 3/8 male & female fitting or a POL & 3/8 male fitting hose. In fact there is no mention at all of LSC27! It may well be that the humble camp stove has been overlooked and may well end up as a relic destined for the Powerhouse Museum (or tip).

So... what I need in the "new safe gas world" is a hose/regulator with a 3/8 BSP male at one end (that fits into the stove) with a LCC27 fitting at the other end that attaches to the bottle. And sourcing this appears to be more challenging than comprehending the Matrix trilogy. Perhaps I need to take the blue pill...

Roger
The connection that goes into the stove is not usually the same thread as the bottle it is a special connector with a small rubber seal.
Like this:
HP1200F.jpg

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Yep, I must admit I didnt click your link, I was on coffee break from lawn mowing, so was not in good frame of mind. I think I have one in my gas box bits actually, just have to have a dig around..Mate turned up with a dicky Fiat, another victory but threw my days plan out the window....... I hate Fiats now.
@Drover , when are you in a good mood after mowing lawns, thirsting for a cold one to enjoy, and someone disrupts your own scheduled plans to fix their car??

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
The connection that goes into the stove is not usually the same thread as the bottle it is a special connector with a small rubber seal.
Like this:
View attachment 69042
Mike @mikerezny , the picture of the hose is for a PRESSURISED cable fitting like I had for my 3 burner Nomad gas stove high pressure delivery with no regulator. The ones shown earlier are for low pressure delivery via a gas regulator in line which reduces the gas pressure to 2.8kpa for fridges and stoves. I bought myself a 4kg gas bottle with a 3/8 male inlet which enabled connection to both male connections - one for the gas bottle outlet and one for the stove inlet. That sort of cable was never designed to fit a POL outlet on large gas bottles, unless you used an adapter as mentioned earlier. Now sold to a fellow camper.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland

Roger
Not so @Just the two of us !! Your stove is designed for a high pressure delivery, hence the Schroder valve type connector to stove. If you were to put a gas reg in line between gas bottle and stove, there will not be enough gas pressure at the fine jets to operate. Just get an adapter from Bunnings with a POL male connector ( which will fit even the latest gas bottle outlets) and a 3/8 LH female thread on other end and you are in business. The ones referred to by @Drover or the R/A one mentioned by @mikerezny is all that you need if existing cable is functioning properly.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Mike @mikerezny , the picture of the hose is for a PRESSURISED cable fitting like I had for my 3 burner Nomad gas stove high pressure delivery with no regulator. The ones shown earlier are for low pressure delivery via a gas regulator in line which reduces the gas pressure to 2.8kpa for fridges and stoves. I bought myself a 4kg gas bottle with a 3/8 male inlet which enabled connection to both male connections - one for the gas bottle outlet and one for the stove inlet. That sort of cable was never designed to fit a POL outlet on large gas bottles, unless you used an adapter as mentioned earlier. Now sold to a fellow camper.
These hoses have been designed to work without a regulator. There is a gas nipple in line screwed into the connector that goes to the cylinder. This reduces the pressure and going to the stove.

This nipple used to regularly clog up because I left it lying around collecting dust and didn't put the cap over the cylinder outlet to keep it free of crap.

As far as I am aware, The gas pressure in a cylinder is the same regardless of the size of the cylinder. The pressure will be dependent on the temperature of the gas and the ambient atmospheric pressure.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That about covers it I reckon @mikerezny .......................................

Our Weber gave me such trials when I was shopping for a hose, one that wasn't the price of a small countries GDP that is and now it stays at home and we travel with a possibly dangerous disposable gas can stove, about all we need nowadays.