18' Series Reducing plated (and real world) ball weight on 18.58-2 OB for Pajero

Maximage

Jan 6, 2017
Perth
Hi all, been lurking the last few days filling up on heaps of great info here. Currently own a Swan Outback and we have just decided to jump up to an Expanda hopefully. Just 3 of us (wife, 2 year old and myself), so don't need copious amounts of room however have been keenly looking at the 18.58 with larger Ensuite and bunk over the cafe seating.

Only problem is I have just noticed on the specs that tare is 2210KG with payload of 450KG so 2660 all up and ball weight is listed as 185KG. Having a fairly new Pajero, it is rated to pull up to 3 tonne but only if ball weight is 180 KG. with ball weights between 180KG and 250KG, trailer weight drops to 2.5 Tonne.Those extra 5KG are killing the idea.

Since it is only the 3 of us, and that is unlikely to change, van would be relatively lightly loaded so could easily stay below max payload. We will be opting for ESC so having weight distribution just that slightly further back isn't such a concern, and only needs to be a slight rearwards move.

We don't want to do a tonne of mods to the van, so I suspect weight distribution would be similar to standard, so given that:

How accurate are the listed numbers on the specs sheet if staying fairly stock?
Do Jayco weight each unit on the line and list lowball weight, or stick to an average pre-calculated number for compliance plates?
Do they adjust the ball weight on the compliance plate if you go for the extended drawbar?
Do they have a factory option to move the spare wheel to the rear bumper like some aftermarket options?
I believe the battery is stored in the front boot, anyone had success in Jayco relocating that to somewhere further back like under the cafe seats?
Anyone had Jayco supply a lower load rating for their van on the plate? IE, instead of the 450 payload they allow for dual axle shower models, ask them to reduce it so plated ATM falls at 2500KG which means the 185KG is a non issue. Only issue with this could be resale later. Could always carry some gear in the back of the Pajero if necessary as there is a decent load rating there to allow for it, and it is just 3 of us, so not a full van of peoples gear to cater for.
Any other ideas that anyone can think of that may assist? Like move the fridge further back in the camper etc?

I am confident I could balance the van safely to pull behind the Paj, especially given it can pull 3 tonne and the ball weight is only JUST over the limit for 2.5T, but sticking point is the actual specs on the compliance plate. Any advice greatly appreciated. Paj is upgraded with Bilstein shocks and Heavy Duty springs with airbags, much like GVM upgrade kits.

Smaller models just don't quite appeal quite so much but may need to be looked into more.

14 is out as it is either bunk beds OR ensuite, can't have both.
16.49-3 is a possibility but has the smaller ensuite and don't have the extra seating and trifold bunk of the larger ones. Although only 3 of us the extra room would be nice given its not a huge amount of $ to go up to the 18.
17.56-2 is a possibility as it has a lower tare of 2145 and being single axle only a load rating of 350 so 2495 all up. Ironically it has a higher ball weight of 199, but all falls with the specs of the Paj, as long as any mods we do don't get added to the weight on the compliance plate as again that will make it fall just outside the magical 2500 limit given the higher ball weight on this model. If the weight each van individually then this may be an issue.

18.58 just seems a better deal given its only $3200 odd more, has a bigger fridge, and larger ensuite, just that weight is the small catch.

Appreciate any ideas or experience anyone has had.

Max

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Congratulations @Maximage ....you are obviously well up on weights, payloads etc. I'm impressed!

Re your quandry: It depends on where you see your camping/ travelling going in the future. I'd be a bit inclined to take it more in stages, with the vehicle easily able to handle each stage without stress for you ..or it.

It's also quite an expensive exercise so, keeping it within an acceptable price range, becomes important. Upgrading later is always possible and, if you look after whatever you decide to buy, the jaycos certainly keep their resale value well.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Brad77

Feb 9, 2016
Sydney
Hi mate. I have a 2015 pajero and tow a 2016 18.58-2 outback.

My weights are as followed. Tare 2232 ball 170. When loaded my ball sits on 175-180. ATM is 2707.

I have the extended draw bar and Jayco supplied the weight print out.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi @Maximage welcome.

Firstly the 17:56-2 is a dual axle and has a 475kg payload iirc.

The published weights are just a start Point pending options. The ball weights have been bollocks on our three!

You will be unpleasantly suprised how you accumulate payload!

but the Paj is a great tug and easily handles the 2.5-3t van and with the ball weight yep try and keep it down. I d be stringent with gvm before ball weight 8-) the Paj doesn't have a lot of overhang from the rear suspension which makes it a great tug

One thing the Paj will benefit from is rear suspension upgrade. You barely find a Paj without evidence that the rear bump stumps have been hitting if it's towed much above a box trailer. The airbags didn't really do much for me but the progressive rate springs were great.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news good luck

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi mate. I have a 2015 pajero and tow a 2016 18.58-2 outback.

My weights are as followed. Tare 2232 ball 170. When loaded my ball sits on 175-180. ATM is 2707.

I have the extended draw bar and Jayco supplied the weight print out.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers

Brad have you checked the ball weight? I've found the Jayco weigh bridge doc spot on but the ball weight crap . The extended drawbar helps with ball weight too....... till we go crazy with boxes :p

Reactions: bigcol

Maximage

Jan 6, 2017
Perth
Cheers Dobbie. It is bit of a quandary as I know the Paj will certainly be fine towing it, it can pull a lot more weight quite easily, it is merely the fine line with the down ball weight with the lower of the 2 limits. I know I can certainly get the van under that lower 180KG limit with very little effort, it is just that the placard says it is 185, and the ATM is over the 2.5T limit that means I have to be under that 180KG line. Frustrating bit is that since it is a dual axle with shower, the pay load is much higher at 475KG. In reality, we will likely be towing under that 2500KG threshold, so the 250 ball limit actually applies. It is all about technical placarded limits versus real world weights. If we were to get pulled over by an overzealous cop, then there could be issues. If, however, it was a Transport person with a portable weighing setup, I reckon we would be fine.

Brad, thanks also. I contacted a seller over east today who has a 18.58-2 and theirs says 179KG ball weight, so is under that magical line, however we also visited the Perth dealer and they had one, but it was placarded as 195KG ball weight. Both seem pretty standard without and major changes, so not sure why such a difference. If we ordered one and ended up at 195, there could be issues.

Our current Swan has some docs in it from a registered weigh bridge that the owner had done after some mods. Wonder if that would be sufficient if ever pulled over, given a placard is only theoretical numbers. May be able to make some adjustments to get the ball weight right and take it over a bridge to cover my butt.

Maximage

Jan 6, 2017
Perth
Thanks Achjimmy. Yes, found out today the 17 is dual axle while at the dealership. Not sure why I thought it was single.

I guess it comes to whether the placard would be taken as gospel if there was ever any issue, or if you had a real world weighbridge saying otherwise, whether that would be accepted.

Frustrating bit is the car can certainly do it safely. If you drew a line from the 2.5 tonne/250KG ball weight to the 3 tonne/180KG ball weight, then this would all be a non-issue, however given they only have the 2 distinct options, it could, on paperwork, be an issue, even though in real world, I may be able to balance it all out to be under the arbitrary limit.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
welcome @Maximage from another Perthite

one person to speak to would be @dagree he tows his 18" with a Playdoh - so a Paj should be sufficient (if you really really stick to weighing everything

I cannot help with your questions about
How accurate are the listed numbers on the specs sheet if staying fairly stock?
Do Jayco weight each unit on the line and list lowball weight, or stick to an average pre-calculated number for compliance plates?
Do they adjust the ball weight on the compliance plate if you go for the extended drawbar?

except to say - they are not even near reality

Reactions: KECL and dagree

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Hi @Maximage
Like others have said, ball weights are just the start.
We sold our Paj (great car) as it was exactly your issue we faced when buying the Starcraft - our ball weight is plated at less than 180kg but with gas, water and not too much gear it all rises pretty dramatically to closer to 300kg.
@Brad77 figures are interesting and it would be good to understand how the weight is balanced when fully loaded.
You're asking all the right questions though.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Not much to add to the great info above other than to say take the weights with a grain of salt, I would let them know that you want the battery moved, an extended drawbar, a certified weigh bridge ticket showing it complies to weights you spec'd on the contract etc, if they want the sale, well.

I wouldn't try to drop any weights, remember they are max weights, you can tow a van with 3.5t gvm so long as you don't max the tug your all good, it's what the scales say that counts not what the plate says.................................... tow ball is guess work ..........moving the spare to the rear will take a good bit off the draw bar and gets it out of the way....................Upgrading suspension from OE is always a wise move and can even up your tow caps sometimes...........

Welcome to the mob and don't be shy with any more questions, rarely a stupid question but quite possible answers.

Brad77

Feb 9, 2016
Sydney
Brad have you checked the ball weight? I've found the Jayco weigh bridge doc spot on but the ball weight crap . The extended drawbar helps with ball weight too....... till we go crazy with boxes :p
Sure have mate. I have resisted the urge to put a box on so far!!

Reactions: achjimmy

Brad77

Feb 9, 2016
Sydney
Hi @Maximage
Like others have said, ball weights are just the start.
We sold our Paj (great car) as it was exactly your issue we faced when buying the Starcraft - our ball weight is plated at less than 180kg but with gas, water and not too much gear it all rises pretty dramatically to closer to 300kg.
@Brad77 figures are interesting and it would be good to understand how the weight is balanced when fully loaded.
You're asking all the right questions though.
Hi mate. To be honest, I am not overly particular when loading. I put things in the van where they are desinged to go etc. I dont have a box on front......but do have a stone guard. My font boot is not overloaded with stuff, just light things like levelers ground mat and a few small items. I keep the weber is the car boot.

Rendaz

Nov 15, 2016
Sydney
This is my 2016 18.58-2 Outback ball weight fully loaded.

Attachments

• 20161220_103925.jpg
    20161220_103925.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 450

Maximage

Jan 6, 2017
Perth
Hmmm, cheers all. Rendaz, I have a ball scale too so would likely us that the first few times i load up just to be safe. Appreciate the pic, makes me think I may need to go at it another way.

I actually reached out to a handful of Engineers today in WA to see who can assist in suspension/towing matters, and a couple actually responded. There are several dealers selling ball weight upgrades over east that consist of uprated springs, Bilstein shocks, airbags and a cert to get the ball weight upgraded to 250kg at all weights up to 3 tonne on the Pajero, rather than having it drop to 180 once you hit 2.5 tonne. Theres no change of GVM or GCM or anything, purely ball weight. This would solve our problem, however there is no-one I know of that does this in WA on a mass basis.

One responded pointing out he believes the Hayman Reese Heavy Duty Tow Bar is rated at a flat 3 tonne/250 ball weight. Their website seems to indicate this as well, but also states to check the cars owners manual. Upon reading that it also reiterates the 2.5 tonne/250 ball and 3 tonne/180 ball, however says in fine print that this only relates to the Mitsubishi hitch.

I have emailed HR for clarification. If so, that solves all issues!

(Also means I can look at doing stuff like a tool box on the front draw bar!!)

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
Hi @Maximage,
I bought a 17.56.2 OB in 2015 which I tow behind a Pajero. Had the same issue as you, with the 17 footer the ATM was over by about 75 kgs. Jayco agreed to stamp the plate with an ATM of 2500. We then weighed everything when we first packed the van. We thought about the 18.58.2 OB but couldn't see how we could make the weights work with the Pajero's tow ball weight limits. Having owned the van for a bit over a year, I'm glad we didn't go for the extra weight.

BTW, we also installed a DP Chip, makes a significant improvement to the Pajero's already good towing capability.

Reactions: Drover

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi @Maximage,
I bought a 17.56.2 OB in 2015 which I tow behind a Pajero. Had the same issue as you, with the 17 footer the ATM was over by about 75 kgs. Jayco agreed to stamp the plate with an ATM of 2500. We then weighed everything when we first packed the van. We thought about the 18.58.2 OB but couldn't see how we could make the weights work with the Pajero's tow ball weight limits. Having owned the van for a bit over a year, I'm glad we didn't go for the extra weight.

BTW, we also installed a DP Chip, makes a significant improvement to the Pajero's already good towing capability.

Hey peter just for people reading this for the future . The stamped gvm has no relevance on what the tug can tow! You didn't need to get the plate restamped at 2500kg. The Paj can tow a van with 3500kg or more as long as you don't load it past 2500kg or 3000kg (with approximate ball weight)