Chassis Rear bumper mod to add bike rack

Jimbo

Sep 29, 2015
Perth
I want to remove the stock round tube rear bumper of my 16.49.4 to make a new heavier duty version that I can mount a 50mm receiver to take a bike rack. This seems like an easier way then leaving the existing bumper there as I can't see anywhere structural at the rear to mount a hitch receiver.
Is there anything I should be aware of before I undertake this mod? As in is this legal? Or could it cause a problem with something else on the van?
Only thing I can think of is the weight issue - adding more weight at the extreme rear affecting the ball weight.
Or if anyone else has done this mod, can you give me some ideas or advice? Or send me a pic?
Cheers

Reactions: Delano

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@Jimbo
yes its legal - most of the Outback ones have the rectangular rear bumper
no it wont cause a problem with anything else on the Van (well in theory and according to Hoyle)
yes it does effect the ball weight - lowering it
your tube bar will bolt into the rear of the Van chassis(which is rectangular) just get some SHS to suit the size, and make your rear bar
easy as
if you have a welder, and know how to use it
make sure you brace the receiver well, you dont want it twisting over while your driving down a road, and only find out when you stop..............

if you DONT have a welder & know how to use it, you could try a Caravan repair place to get them to fit the style of bumper you want - (and do the welding if you ask pretty please............)

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
I did the same to mine Jimbo also making the bike rack swing out so we could drop the bed ends without removing the bikes.

Christian

Swing out bike rack.JPG
DSCN8842 (Small).JPG
image0096.jpg

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Just for some ideas, the attached photo is the bike rack on my previous Swan. Removed the factory fitted bumper and used the chassis mounts to bolt 50mm square galv posts; then bolted slotted right angle across that were used to sit the bikes on. The main design requirement on the Swan was to have the bikes low enough that I could leave them in place and pull out the rear bed.
No welding at all, and when I traded the camper, I could dismantle in about 1 hour with no trace of it having been fitted.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 2,561

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Having to remove the front wheels was the compromise to keeping total height below the pull out beds.
Also forgot to mention that I removed the spare wheel so the extra weight of the bikes was cancelled out by the removal of the wheel. Initially planned to mount the wheel under the camper but never got round to it. Just carried it in the back of the ute. Bolted a bar to the spare wheel carrier to help stabilise the bikes against.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Roosterman

Jul 18, 2015
Hunter Valley
That swing arm has me thinking!!!

If ya haven't mate, do a quick search regarding bike rack, and you will find that there is a few designs to work from, one which is similar to the swing away, but with a great description on how it was done, this is the one im going to use...love the idea of leaving the bikes on, just swinging it out of the way.....

Reactions: bigcol