Rear Bar, Wheel Carrier Concepts - Want One? What could be Better?

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Hi Folks, Been playing around with Cad Drawing a Little and Drawn up a Rear Bar with Swing out Spare Wheel Carrier Idea.

Will be also Drawing up and adding a Bike Carrier that will fit over the Spare Tyre in a little Bit.

Thoughts? Want One? PM Me. I heard yesterday Companies are Quoting $2000+ for something similar WOW... I can do them and less than Half that...

bar open rear.JPG bar rear view.JPG bar front view.JPG bar open front.JPG

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Someone has got a lot of spare time.:o

Does look heavy on that pivot point, but I'm no engineer. I like the swing down one as it's out of the way under the lid. I would be worried:scared: after a few drinks I would walk into it.

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Pivot piont would be a stub axle with bearings etc so it will have no problem. Far as weight gos's - not actually to bad and just aswell if you are going to add a big toolbox full of goodies up front...

I agree though i also prefere the swing down wheel, This just a variation that give you the option of adding the bike carrier and then also not having to remove the bikes if they not going to be used.. Would also have to use a nice gas strut to hold it open :). Also if not taking bikes then you can leave the bike carrier.

I have actually made myself the same bike carrier that fits to the spare wheel on the back of the prado, just a nice snug fit over the tyre and a couple of straps for extra surety.

So thats the point of this thread guys - open to criticism so that i can tweak the designs :)

Btw - there is a company in melbourne that quotes over two grand for rear bar and bike carrier

hornet

Apr 9, 2012
i built a few of these a coupla years ago very succesfull on the larger tandem axle expandas and also the the campers ,built one for my 16/49/3 ,mine didnt have the spare on the back(left it up front) and the amount of weight it took off the ball was scarey, took my van for a test tow ,slightly damp roads,with van on wheel-spin 1st,2nd and third gear ,very unstable couldnt get over 80 without bad sways,since removed and built a drop down carrier.
like i said works great on other vans ,but the single axle pandas must be right on the limit with there weights,dont want to scare anyone off just watch your weights ,and i dont beleive counteracting weight with more weight is a good idea (more on front to balance rear) just my experience
DSC01283.jpg
DSC01286.jpg
DSC01288.jpg

DSC01276.jpg
DSC01615.jpg

hornet

Apr 9, 2012
2009 dual cab triton, still had spare wheel , 2 x 9 kg gas bottles on drawbar and full tunnel boot, I'm not saying there a bad idea , just need to let people know what sort of extra weight they're putting on their vans .
If someone wants one for a single axle I won't build one , couldn't bare the thought of someone having a stack because of something I built.
Build them , sell them , have fun, I don't know if I did it all wrong but now the bare minimum goes on the back of our van, just putting it out there

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
I dont know mate, From the posts above, I think you may be in trouble putting a rear bar and spare wheel on the back of your single axle expanda... sounds like you may need to hook your van up to your vehicle and get three or four of your mates to sit on the draw bar before fitting it, in case it lifts the back of your car up that is :) May be a good idea to drop the rear stabiliser legs of the van as well just in case...

hornet

Apr 9, 2012
i know this goes against what ive been saying but yes,we have a rear bar with a spare wheel mounted on the rear of our single axle and a large box on the front with a heap of gear in it (genie,webber ,fuel,gas other crap) and i know the van is overweight,its more of an education thing ,yeah no worries putting the bar and spare on the rear,but what next ,more bikes,maybe a couple jerrys,oh and a dish,theres still room why not whack another tool box on there full off crap,then load the under bed storage up ,wont be long before its getting heavey in the rear(might have to wind those rear jacks down:biggrin:).all im saying is watch your weight ,not having a go at anyones idea,all that gear you want to carry adds up to 140kgs not sure what expanda you have AJC dont qoute me on this but i think the single axle is allowed 300kgs and 400 for the tandem ,140kgs + model depending 170lts of water ,beer food clothes ,spare wheel ,you do the math but its up there ,once again going agaist what i said our van fully loaded is a tad under 2t ,and i dont think theres many out there that would be to different, just be prepared to to take it on the chin if things go pear shaped,so unless you do have a barina i think youll be right
DSC01615.jpg
DSC01612.jpg

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Agree with everything youve said so far hornet, At the end of the day it all comes down to moderation and not being a chop when it comes to loading up the van with a she'll be right attitude.

hornet

Apr 9, 2012
Just to let you know I was selling these for 1500 , people couldn't get there wallets out quick enough, it's a good idea best of luck

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Yip, and folks here in mexico are quoting upwards of 2G's. Im coming in with the introductory price and once i have a few out the door we'll tune it up a little :). So for those of you skimming on the outskirts dont skim for to long :)

I did the same thing with the stone guards i was making and they did really well but to time consuming without knocking the price up significantly which is something i didnt really want to do.

Hornet, if you want to advertise you bars\services on here as well then please feel free - i wont take offence or anything like that.

hornet

Apr 9, 2012
If there was still a thanks button I'd use it , I don't build a lot of stuff for the public anymore missus reckons I spend to long in the shed , so I just do stuff for myself and the odd cashie on the side for mates, got more pics of the bars if your interested

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Good advice Hornet, I mentioned it once before, I added 25-35 kg on my drawbar last trip and I thought the Expanda towed better. So I would be reluctant to add anything to the arse without countering it on the front and some. And do watch your overall weight, if the expandas are let down anywhere it is in there payload, I made my order (written) conditional on recieving 375kg payload and they even had to replace the compliance plate as i noted looking around the yards there was a lot of Expandas with payloads that were way too low to be resonable imo?