rear bar for bike rack

Jim and Tab

Jul 29, 2011
Bendigo Victoria
hi again
i was just reading a post about mounting bikes on the rear lid.
im not sure id like to try it out myself
has anyone welded a towbar tounge to there rear factory bar and just used the stardard folding type
bike racks or is the rear bar not strong enough
thanks heaps again
cheers jim/tab and diamond

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
G'Day Jim,
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the standard rear bar is only the powdercoated tube type. I wouldn't think it was strong enough to attach anything to.
There is a galv RHS rear bar available, maybe this would be a better option to mount something on. I am having the dealer fit this to ours but only to fit a drop down spare to.
When we take bikes we will just secure them somewhere inside the van, but then we will usually only have two.
Cheers,
Paul

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
has anyone welded a towbar tounge to there rear factory bar and just used the stardard folding type
bike racks or is the rear bar not strong enough

I'm not sure that that would be a good idea, I've seen photos where the pipe has simply peeled open due to the constant vibrations of the rack going back and forth.

Bes to get something engineered for the job.

Photo 1

photo 2

I hope this helps

grinner914

Aug 3, 2011
Bacchus Marsh VIC
There has been quite a discussion recently on caravanersforum.com about adding additional weight to the rear of you van, and apparently in the the December issue of Caravaners World magazine there is an article about it as well.

The general consensus seems to be not to add any weight to the rear of your van, unless it has been specifically designed and built to cope with it. Regardless of the strength of the rear bumper to carry the load, having the extra load at the rear may upset the towing dynamics of the van.

I have always carried my bikes either on the roof or rear of the car.

Jason

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
There has been quite a discussion recently on caravanersforum.com about adding additional weight to the rear of you van, and apparently in the the December issue of Caravaners World magazine there is an article about it as well.

The general consensus seems to be not to add any weight to the rear of your van, unless it has been specifically designed and built to cope with it. Regardless of the strength of the rear bumper to carry the load, having the extra load at the rear may upset the towing dynamics of the van.

I have always carried my bikes either on the roof or rear of the car.

Jason
I've had a read of that story you are referring to and it also mentions that there have been examples of chassis's bending and floors and walls distorting too.

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
The factory bumper is not strong enough, I made a complete new rear bumper with a swing out arm for the 4 bikes, the main problem is the bike rack moving back and forth fatigue will eventually cause damage.

I also have a centre tie down point from the top of the rack down to the bumper and this has worked well for around 40,000km.

Christian

image0053.jpg DSCN8842 (Small).JPG DSCN8679 (Small).JPG Kingfisher - Savannah Way.jpg image0060.jpg

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Reviving this thread as I found this image on Caravansales.com for an Expanda.
Interesting concept.

gc4872465843402566443.jpg

This is actually quite clever IMO, I assume what happens here is that it is pulled out as it is in the pick for setup of bed etc. and then slides back in closer to the back of the van for when in transit?

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
My original bar is under the house, I made new one from 3mm gauge steel and powder coated. Best if you buy a bike rack that has 2 points of attachment rather than one to spread the load on the bar. I have 2 pieces of RHS welded vertical which the 2 posts of the bike rack slip into and is secured with 2 pins,removal takes seconds but you can tell when the bikes are on when you tow although not a problem. Cheers.