14' Series real final weight

duncandonuts

Jan 19, 2015
Eastwood
www.duncandonuts.info
Has anyone actally put their van on the scales and found out the real gvm of their van once finished (water tanks empty).

We're looking to buy a panda sometime in the next 12 months and the Kluger is due to be replaced, so would love some real weights of different vans so I could make an informed decision on both.

Quoted tare weight is pretty much useless.

DuncanDonuts

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
I had mine on a weigh bridge about 6 weeks ago. I will list the factory accessories and also what was in it and the weigh bridge weights to give you an idea
2014 14.44-4 OB Expanda
extended draw bar
HWS
2 x 9kg gas bottles, one full the other around half full
2 x 82L water tanks - both empty
ESC
independent suspension
tregg hitch
external shower
4 x camp chairs
bedding and towels
small blow mould table
drinking and waste water hoses
about 5kg or so of pantry items
9qt cast iron camp oven + other steel pots and pans
plastic and acrylic plates, cups bowls etc
misc cooking/baking items like collanders etc
cutlery for four
other items in your second kitchen drawer, tongs egg flips, sharp knives etc
shovel/lump hammer/broom/dust pan and broom
annexe matting + pegs
miniature aluminium clothes line
board games
boogie boards x 2
add another few kg for 4 x head torches, fire blanket/ toilet paper/tissues/ipod dock - you get the idea as there will be stuff I have missed

from memory the fridge was empty

I have listed some light weight stuff like boogie boards, fire blanket, torches etc as once you add up all your 0.5kg to 1.5kg items they add up to another 30kg of weight before you know it.

Basically the van just needed water, perishable food and clothes to go for a family of four.

on the ball 1620kg
off the ball 1810kg

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@MDS69 Nothing overboard there but add tucker and water and you would probably blow the plated gross I suppose, like most of us.

@duncandonuts , just look for a vehicle that has at least 3000kg tow that way you cover most bases and have a vehicle with some grunt. Your absolutely right about stated weights it's pie in the sky and with so many variations on each model none are the same.

Reactions: Smirke

duncandonuts

Jan 19, 2015
Eastwood
www.duncandonuts.info
I had mine on a weigh bridge about 6 weeks ago. I will list the factory accessories and also what was in it and the weigh bridge weights to give you an idea
2014 14.44-4 OB Expanda
extended draw bar
HWS
ESC
independent suspension
tregg hitch
external shower
4 x camp chairs
bedding and towels
small blow mould table
cutlery for four
annexe matting + pegs
board games
boogie boards x 2
add another few kg for 4 x head torches, fire blanket/ toilet paper/tissues/ipod dock - you get the idea as there will be stuff I have missed

I have listed some light weight stuff like boogie boards, fire blanket, torches etc as once you add up all your 0.5kg to 1.5kg items they add up to another 30kg of weight before you know it.

Basically the van just needed water, perishable food and clothes to go for a family of four.

on the ball 1620kg
off the ball 1810kg

Thanx MDS69,

Some great info that really gives me an idea of the true weight of the smaller panda.

I think your add on are pretty similar to most people.

Cheers

Uncan
2014 14.44-4 OB Expanda
extended draw bar
HWS
ESC
independent suspension
tregg hitch
external shower
4 x camp chairs
bedding and towels
small blow mould table
cutlery for four
annexe matting + pegs
board games
boogie boards x 2

on the ball 1620kg
off the ball 1810kg

duncandonuts

Jan 19, 2015
Eastwood
www.duncandonuts.info
@MDS69 Nothing overboard there but add tucker and water and you would probably blow the plated gross I suppose, like most of us.

@duncandonuts , just look for a vehicle that has at least 3000kg tow that way you cover most bases and have a vehicle with some grunt. Your absolutely right about stated weights it's pie in the sky and with so many variations on each model none are the same.
Thanx Drover,

I think the Kluger would cope but not much in reserve.

I must say the jeep is looking good.

Uncan

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I weighed everything that come out of our first Expanda. It's buried here somewhere, 260-280kg rings a bell that's plus water tanks. I believe jayco weigh the vans before delivery so Tare is relevant.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
[USER=4587 said:
@duncandonuts[/USER] , just look for a vehicle that has at least 3000kg tow that way you cover most bases and have a vehicle with some grunt. Your absolutely right about stated weights it's pie in the sky and with so many variations on each model none are the same.

Don't just go by the stated tow weight, our Challenger supposedly can tow 3000kg. It is flat out towing our 14.44-4 at 1800kgs! Is as gutless as anything. I have since found out though it is the auto that lets it down as apparently the manuals are a bit better.

BJ.

Reactions: Drover