Electrical Rabbit Ears How come they work?

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
I found an old rabbit ears antenna in the shed. It would be at least 20 years old. Thought I'd plug it into the van and give it a try. Surprisingly I was able to get every Digital Channel except 7.
I thought these would not work. I thought antennas had to be upgraded to 'Digital', we've obviously been sold a lie. Reminds me of Y2K.
20140724_105611.jpg

Reactions: Pace

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
I found an old rabbit ears antenna in the shed. It would be at least 20 years old. Thought I'd plug it into the van and give it a try. Surprisingly I was able to get every Digital Channel except 7.
I thought these would not work. I thought antennas had to be upgraded to 'Digital', we've obviously been sold a lie. Reminds me of Y2K.
View attachment 24126

Did the TV you plugged it into have a digital tuner? From my (limited) understanding, you don't neccesarily need a "digital" antenna, but more the tuner within the box to translate the 1's and 0's into a pic. Happy to be corrected though.

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Did the TV you plugged it into have a digital tuner? From my (limited) understanding, you don't neccesarily need a "digital" antenna, but more the tuner within the box to translate the 1's and 0's into a pic. Happy to be corrected though.

Yes TV has a digital tuner.

its in the TV aerial stayed the same.. I can pickup all channels at home just with aerial wire moving around.. which made it hard to see van Aerial stuffed
Sorry @davemc you might need to retype that one.

I'm heading back to the snow in two weeks, see how it performs then.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Rabbits ears still worked and most old antennas are able to receive digital. Note MOST not all. The people that may have had to change is those in fringe areas or areas where the frequency shift was significant. That is my (very) limited understanding. You will find the rabbits ears will work only if you have a very strong signal in the area.

BJ

Reactions: BigSkiddy

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Sorry @BigSkiddy Was typing while working
The aerial should be fine if as said above strong signal. This is why you did not have to change the house one. There are some types of aerials which had problems and in only some areas.
You do need a TV with digital or set top box to get digital.
Where we live its on the top of a hill almost.. I can pickup signal for all channels just putting the coxial TV cable in the back to act like rabbit ears.. I do not need a aerial connected and can normally pick up most if not all channels.
Which made it hard when my Jayco aerial in the new van did not work.. I did not notice until I got out of town on a trip and picked up no channels at all.

Reactions: Bmhdg76