Question on dual axle suspension

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi all,

Our new van will be sitting in the driveway where our other van was which has about a 4 deg decline. With our single axle i made steel ramps and had them galvanized so they suit the angle and then the van sits level when the jockey wheel is wound right down. 4 deg doesn't sound much but from the jockey wheel to the axle is about 310mm difference in height and wanted the van to sit level mainly so the fridge would operate normally (when powered at home) and the van is less likely to roll into our house.

Anyway i have made new ramps for the dual axle van (pick up van in 3 weeks) and not being familiar with the dual axle was wondering what effect the ramps will have on the suspension when backing up and driving off. Will this stress out the centre link as the back wheels go up first and is there some sort of stop on the suspension to take the load off this link? Incase it matters it's an outback!

Cheers.

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Sale, Victoria, Australia
I presume it will be a load sharing leaf, hence shouldn't be an issue either direction. I guess it depends on the angle of the ramp and travel available on the suspension.. To be Safe first time, I'd probably back it up with as little weight as possible, I.e. water tanks drained to check suspension is fine..

Just my thoughts, but I have the simplicity suspension.

Good luck with the pickup..

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
You can borrow mine and test it out if you want. As long as you drop it in at Jayco Newcastle to get some warranty stuff done as well..... :)