Just Browsing Problems with Lithium Batteries in Van

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My GELS work well, we go for months off grid and use our genny for the washing machine mostly and the odd soldering iron job, if stuck in the clouds for days then it will get a run but thats rarely, just couldn't justify the cost myself ......... my mate spent $8K on his lithium set up, we all looked gobsmacked at him when he told us, he does travel for months and months each year but crap thats a lot............. but then he's not skint either.

Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
i don’t disagree, my point is if you have the means lithium systems are fantastic. We consume power heavily also and I had the means to install the system I have. Is it for everybody no, it’s a large investment and requires good technical knowledge or you will pay even more for a good reliable system.

My point about about solar input is we can stay in bulk until the battery is full, it’s doesn’t take hours of absorption of reach 100%. My previous AGM batteries would take all day to reach 100% due to the charging nature of that chemistry.

My setup never gets below 70% state of charge, so it’s overkill off course, but why not it’s the Australian way!
I just wanted to clarify one point, i dont really like BMWs ... i have a Troopy, so im clearly not up for a performance vehicle debate, i just used bluff with that angle :) I suspect we'll all likely transition to lithium eventually. I agree partly with @Boots in Action in thats its generally a relatively low percentage cost, but only if it came packaged in the van purchase. $6000 or $4000 for "anything" stand alone is significant to me, and requires lots and lots of thought, procrastination and justification

Like all new tech, its the pioneers like yourself, that jump on it in its infancy, that ultimately will help to make it affordable and maintream for the reluctant peasants like me.

I can see the fantastic benefits such as induction cookers, running the aircon for short periods and of course compressor fridges ....

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Very interesting read all of the above....looking forward this year to testing out our setup in the hybrid camper that we bought last year. Unfortunately we had to cancel our 6 week trip to WA last year as my wife’s mother deteriorated and passed away in September.
Our setup consists of an Enerdrive system - 320 watts of solar, 120 amp charger 3000 watt inverter and 300 amp hour lithium battery.
This runs 2 drawer fridges and a Waeco 95 litre fridge.
Hopefully this set up will take us long into the future as I have been reliably informed that there will be no more van purchases....
Thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences/opinions...

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Very interesting read all of the above....looking forward this year to testing out our setup in the hybrid camper that we bought last year. Unfortunately we had to cancel our 6 week trip to WA last year as my wife’s mother deteriorated and passed away in September.
Our setup consists of an Enerdrive system - 320 watts of solar, 120 amp charger 3000 watt inverter and 300 amp hour lithium battery.
This runs 2 drawer fridges and a Waeco 95 litre fridge.
Hopefully this set up will take us long into the future as I have been reliably informed that there will be no more van purchases....
Thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences/opinions...

Bugga me Bill, you better cut back the Beer and go to spirits thats one hell of a lot of fridge space, I would need 2 trolleys at Dans to fill it...............

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Just to throw a spanner in the works for all those on the Lithium journey (I wish I could afford to join you - maybe in the next van I'll get whatever is the latest and greatest).

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Just to throw a spanner in the works for all those on the Lithium journey (I wish I could afford to join you - maybe in the next van I'll get whatever is the latest and greatest).

Cool ... i just walked to the beach and grabbed me a bucket of source material ... now what

Reactions: Drover