Prado 120 Tow hitch recall

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Toyota are doing a towbar Safety check and if you have a wdh they will swap it for a new Toyota wdh free of charge. Thought this might be interesting to our Prado owners. I found this out on the www.caravanersforum.com site.

Cheers Geoff

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
If I had a Prado I would be checking bolts now behind bumper where towbar attaches. People are finding broken and missing bolts. I think it is good that Toyota are following this up. You want to see manufacturers sticking by their products, even when out of warranty.

Last edited:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Finally got time to call into our local Toyota dealer this morning to ask the question. Was told that it will soon be reclassified as a safety recall and letters are being prepared to send out.

Booked mine in for an inspection in two weeks. Was asked to bring it in with the hayman reece tongue fitted so they can test it while fitted.

Will let you know how it goes and if they swap the HR WDH for the Toyota one.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Well that was a waste of time.... Toyota had the prado for 4 hours and ring me to say all's good and come pick it up.
Checked bolts and all OK but replaced them just to make sure. He pointed out that I didn't have a standard toyota tongue (Hayman Reece) fitted and offered to swap... Asked if it was adjustable and able to use on other vehicles and he just looked at me like DUH!!!!!!

Asked to look at what they would swap it with and he came back with a standard hitch/tongue. Told him I have one and use it all the time except when towing the caravan. Asked him if the HR setup is OK to use and said "yeah don't see why not" even though they put the sticker on the towbar stating that "Toyota take no responsibility if using an aftermarket LDH bla bla bla".
Think I might call in and talk to someone else at a different dealer and see what they say. Failing a definite answer will call insurance company and ask the question. If a bit iffy I'll just go get myself a Hayman Reece towbar to cover my backside if the unfortunate happens!

Mogsaway

Jun 10, 2013
Kellyville Ridge, N.S.W.
A waste of time is when you put your prado in for a service and they say you will have to bring it back as they are going to replace the bolts but don't have any In stock( WTF)) Take it back a week later, pick it up only to be told that the hold to bar is going to need to be replaced as the holes are elongated. You guessed it no to bars in stock. Back a third time and after a brief discussion about the efficiency of the service department and the extra 2 days they had my vehicle walked away with a toyota WDH system. Does not have adjustable ball height but was happy to get something for all my time.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Would have gladly accepted the offer (not swap) of a toyota LDH/WDH even if not adjustable. Would put it in the shed and pass onto next owner of the prado. But to offer me a standard tongue to replace the HR one was an insult. And what would I do with the bars and other fittings? :barbershop_quartet_member:
I think toyota need to provide some recall update training for their service team!!!