Portable Solar Panel Wiring

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
I have a portable 120w folding panel, the existing wiring from the regulator joins with 2 plugs about 500mm from the reg to the main 5 mtr cable. As Im mounting this panel on the roof of the tug and also as a removable stand alone panel can I cut these 2 plugs off and replace them with Anderson plugs

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
There are a few different types of connectors in common use on solar panels. All of them have similar properties.... waterproof, can handle heavy currents and usually rated at around 1000v. All of that is needed if the panel was to be used as part of a home 240v installation but for a 12v setup it is a bit of overkill. So as Cruza has said you are fine to replace them with an anderson plug.

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
1.jpg

Sorry if im repeating myself here but this is what Im now considering and want to know if Im on the right track

I presume this is what all portable panels look like.

Ive now decided that what I would like to do is remove the regulator off the panel and mount it inside the ute canopy, I would then run cable to an external Anderson on the outside of the canopy from the deep cycle battery that runs the Engel in the back of the ute and the panel will be mounted on the roof while we are travelling via short cables and removable while stopped for any length of time. I will then have to have 2 sets of longer cable and Andersons to connect when it off the canopy.
By the looks of the setup I will have 2 sets of long cables, 1 to the regulator and 1 to the black box on the right.

Its as clear as mud to me but I guess you'll know what I mean.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Used Anderson Plugs on my portable panels with no problem at all. Nearly 10m of decent quality heavy duty dual core cable and it all worked flawlessly. I just made sure all connection sites were waterproof.

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
Anderson are fine for all things 12V. Just make sure you don't mess up your polarity. Obviously use cable that is big enough to avoid excessive voltage drop.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Thanks for all the replies

Would 4mm2 be OK over 5 or 6mtrs
Yep. Hubble80 is on the money suggesting 6mm. Won't break the bank and with any luck you've then got a wiring set up to last the life of your panels. I stored cable in cheap plastic tool box with slots cut at each so could double as waterproof case for plug connections.