portable solar panel - which one?

john hayward

Dec 31, 2012
got to buy a solar panel for the new van.
looking for one about 180w.
there seems to be a significant difference in price between all the different brands.

i am considering a "hurricane solar" 180w folding panel and accessories for $339.
does anyone out there have one of these and are they reasonable or rubbish.

what do you recommend need to know asap!

thanks

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
John,

Like Jason, I purchased a folding 200w from low energy developments via ebay - easy to deal with and works well. They weigh about 23kg.

When we do the big trip, I will be ditching the folding panels for light weight flexible ones. 200w flexible mono (2 x 100W) are about $550, 3mm thick and only 4kg. If space permits, I might put 3 or 4 panels on the roof. If only 3 fit, then keep the 4th for a portable in case we par under shade.

Cheers,

Rohan

Grover

Jul 20, 2012
120 watts will do the job I also brought a 240 w from eBay works a treat charges battery higher so if rain next day battery still full I also got 120 w first time round just doesn't charge battery high enough I think they all do the job I brought two of eBay different brands no problems but I would reckon mend hard wire straight to battery

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
Hi, I belong to the myswag forum an there is a guy on there who sells to a lot of he forum members, I've also bought gear from him

http://www.mandrakessolar.com.au/

He tests all his panels before shipping to customers, price is similar to eBay, he has a good reputation for selling great panels that work. Also good with returns if there should be a problem

Cheers
Mike