17' Series PopTop Roof Misaligned

Just the two of us

Mar 19, 2023
Umina Beach, NSW
Has anyone made and successfully installed "locators" as per toadskins post with pics way back in October 2016?
I made similar by shaping a 20mm thick shim, but success was short lived as the adhesive was not strong enough and the weight of the lowering roof knocked the locators out.
The roof won!
Before taking it to the next level with side bracing or like, wanted to see if anyone else had successfully enhanced this great idea.

https://expandasdownunder.com/threads/poptop-roof-misaligned.8439/page-2

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Way back I checked my struts , wiped the shafts clean, lubed the knuckle joint and other moving parts , one strut was a bit weak so it got replaced and then it all closed very well ............. If a strut is lazy or a gummed up knuckle joint the roof wont close evenly.............

Just the two of us

Mar 19, 2023
Umina Beach, NSW
Thanks Drover. Alignment was never great and worsened when all 4 struts were upgraded to new 650n struts (up from 450). I also cleaned up the fixed ball joints when changing the struts and used new C clips.
The higher rated new structs has made lifting the roof easier but accentuated the misalignment. Also, nothing changed on the roof; that is, we don't have roof mounted solar panels and the a/c is OEM as too is the rollout awning. The DIY locators seem like a sterling idea, just have to get them to stay fixed under considerable down-force of a lowering roof.
It is interesting that, in the main, owners are reporting misalignment issues with the off-side and explore whether the awning is pulling the roof towards the kerb. As misalignment seems to be a problem with a lot of pop-tops brands it leaves me ponder as to why guides/locators have not been adopted as a standard bit of kit.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I know its something that can drive one mad, I must have been lucky to get mine sorted............. after revisiting the thread it does seem there could be a number of causes all related to tension on the roof, I'm pretty sure I had the awning on open so no tension but I like that locating block that toadskin did, it should work well made of plastic like those breadboards to give a smooth durable finish, at least 50mm wide so it has a good base for adhesion and support when roof slides over it, not a tight fit to roof as some movement of roof is needed when down, I would use Sikaflez Marine adhesive as it seems to hold like the proverbial.... If you used timber then a hard wood, certainly not pine would be needed................... You would need to do some decent measuring as it may not be a case as one size block fits all with the block being to guide the roof but not hold it once down or it could get jammed.
Be a most interesting project for sure, not having a pop top now I can't do some experimenting....

Just the two of us

Mar 19, 2023
Umina Beach, NSW
Sure is Drover. I shaped 2 x 20mm thick shims https://www.bunnings.com.au/macsim-72-x-100-x-20mm-white-shim_p1044806 ensuring that the diagonal edge is smooth and attached them using Sika Marine 291. Left the roof up for 3 days to allow the 291 to fully harden.

The first two times the roof came down in near perfect alignment. Success was short lived as on the third open/closing test the shims and the 291 surrendered.

Remain interested in hearing from anyone who can has been successful and/or can provide intel.

Grandpa Gunna

Dec 29, 2020
Northern Tablelands NSW
Hi @Just the two of us
I had this problem back in Feb 2022 also followed @toadskin instructions but made them out of pallet timber.
They are not fixed just seat there. Sometimes find need to give a slight pull down on roof at rear. (may need to do more sanding.)
They are slightly different in size to each other.
We don't have roof top A/C and only one solar panel however certain that awning is the culprit
IMG_20220217_130652_2.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Since the cause of the problem isn't addressed it will always try to go its own way, the blocks need to be hard, smooth and made so its not possible for the roof section to catch when released, possibly a slip panel on the roof so block and roof panel move over each other into position and don't catch.........if a good bit of hardwood used, dried iron bark etc once shaped go over it with a torch to harden up the working surface...... if the block wont stay in place maybe rivet to the roof some angle on either side of the block but not fixed to the block, then glue the block in postition, this should stop any lateral force from breaking the bond.....

Last edited:

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
Interesting thread, had read it before, but now find the top on ours doing the same. The roof comes down skewiff to one side by maybe 5 - 6mm. I do know though that having the awning tear itself off while driving at 100kmh in cyclonic winds did twist the roof a bit and did absolutely contribute to the problem as one of the holding clamps failed at the same time and the roof lifted on one side.
All ok, but will work on getting the roof to close nice and neat going forward.

Reactions: Just the two of us

Just the two of us

Mar 19, 2023
Umina Beach, NSW
Thanks to everyone for the invaluable contribution that has solved my misaligned roof problem. Added bonus is that the roof is now considerably easier to lift. Yep my wedges/guides are maxi-sized but they work a treat. Made them from left-over stress laminated timber.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 90
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 90
  • Wedges in position.jpg
    Wedges in position.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Wedges.jpg
    Wedges.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 86

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
thanks. was wondering if locator blocks would work. Carac in Dandenong suggested installing scissor struts as the 'only' option (and said the awning is not strong enough to pull it off-centre)
....i really need to log in here a bit more often