17' Series Poptop canvas leak

Reguez 78

Apr 21, 2019
Brisbane
Hi team
Have just camped for 10 nights where it rain 50 % of the time
We’re getting moisture forming on the inside of the pop top expanda on the white metal frame around the whole perimeter except where the awning is
It seems the seal at the canvas to fibreglass junction is perishing and needs replacement

Is this a job that anyone has attempted themselves or is this a job for the professionals ?

Any ideas or recommendations for a sealant I should use if attempting this myself ?

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi team
Have just camped for 10 nights where it rain 50 % of the time
We’re getting moisture forming on the inside of the pop top expanda on the white metal frame around the whole perimeter except where the awning is
It seems the seal at the canvas to fibreglass junction is perishing and needs replacement

Is this a job that anyone has attempted themselves or is this a job for the professionals ?

Any ideas or recommendations for a sealant I should use if attempting this myself ?

Hi @Reguez 78, you may not have any problem at all. In warm HUMID conditions with regular or constant rainfall, condensation will build up INSIDE van at the highest points - just at your breather areas in pop tops - especially on metal parts, your white metal frame on perimeter. The moisture and warmth from cooking and human and humid bodies will condense on the INSIDE as it meets the colder damp canvas/metal/air on the OUTSIDE. It is necessary to get some airflow through the van to remove the heat at the highest points. Try opening the vents wider and more often when you can, even if it means putting a temporary cover to protect the opening from rain, but still lets hot humid air out. Closed up vans will certainly cause condensation to build up inside in humid conditions.

Reactions: BJM and Drover

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Had it dripping really bad from the interior alloy frame 2 months ago.. Just in case it was a roof leak I got up and resealed the exterior frame to fibre glass roof panel .plus fitted new corner strips which had biodegraded. Jayco reckon this should be done every 4 years.!! Still heaps of condensation around lip of alloy frame inside.As the others have said hot air rising hits cold alloy = condensation/water = panic.!!

Duncanblake36

Nov 17, 2016
Doreen
We had a leak in ours. Did my head in. Siliconed up every join I could until I found it. It was taking water where the bottom join of the canvas is on the bottom of the frame. Siliconed up the join of the canvas to the van no more leaks.... That took 2-3 rainy trips to work out. Now its good as gold.