NT Planning a lap on Highway 1 - Including the Savannah way

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
I would have bought better tyres and suspension before those other things! Given the van is on for so long, suspension and tyres become more relevant. I'm on my second set of Bridgestone Duellers 697s after the first set got me 70k including the entire lap around the country with the van. Not one puncture or issue and we did test it out. Picked them up locally for ~$220 a tyre, which is very reasonable I think. I would put tyres above all else in terms of vehicle upgrades. They are after all, the only part that touches the ground.

Suspension is vital too I think for long touring with a van. Not just for the springs themselves, but everything else attached to the undercarriage that is supposed to work in certain directions. Think CVs, control arms, bolts, braces etc... We upgraded to heavy constant load springs to try and keep everything square. You don't need top of the line stuff... Many reputable brands out there across different price ranges. For the reference, we went with EFS.

But as Drover said, everything has its breaking/wearing out point. But think of tyre and suspension upgrades as stress relief for the car. Improving them keeps the pressure of the other points of the running train.
Just my opinion.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well said @Smergen , my nephew has fitted Ironman suspension in his BT and has found them as good as his ARB gear on his previous rig, just saved heaps of $$$$..... Of course if it has the original gear chuck it and upgrade.

Luke.sleeman

Jan 14, 2019
Victoria
I'm doing a bunch of research and it looks like I'll definitely change my tires and upgraded suspension is looking very likely. I'll probably go for relatively light rear springs with no airbags and use my load leveler to ensure that plenty of weight gets put on the front axel. I'm wary of having all the load lifted off the front two tires.

@Crusty181 and @megcam - when you did the savannah way what kind of hitch did you have? At the moment we just have the standard 50mm ball hitch, but I'm pondering upgrading to one of the AL-KO 50mm ball off-road couplings.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I'm doing a bunch of research and it looks like I'll definitely change my tires and upgraded suspension is looking very likely. I'll probably go for relatively light rear springs with no airbags and use my load leveler to ensure that plenty of weight gets put on the front axel. I'm wary of having all the load lifted off the front two tires.

@Crusty181 and @megcam - when you did the savannah way what kind of hitch did you have? At the moment we just have the standard 50mm ball hitch, but I'm pondering upgrading to one of the AL-KO 50mm ball off-road couplings.
I have a V5 WDH and std 50mm ball, no issues.

Reactions: Luke.sleeman

megcam

I have the AL-KO 50mm ball offroad coupling but only because it came with the van. It was very good but if it came down to a budget decision it would be below the other items talked about eg tyres, suspension, air compressor. You'd be surprised the articulation you can get out of the standard coupling and for the $250 I'd rather shout the family dinner at the Daly Waters Hotel to celebrate getting to the other end:amen: