Places?

Do you use the places option on the site?

• Yes

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
I think it would be used more if it was continually updated..

@expanda has done a Stirling job, some have added more but maybe Wiki camps etc does the same job without relying on a few people to keep it up to date.

o_O

Wiki camps has its place it also has its limitations which I won't go into.

The reason I want to know if people want to use it is so we can build something of our own.

I think the consensus is people like the idea but it needs to be more accessible and customisable which is enough evidence for me to continue development.

I have some big ideas for it which I'll share later in the year.

Any feedback you have I would love to here it so keep it coming.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
For what it's worth... I tried the one from Caravanners forum earlier in the year. The info for caravan parks and free camps was barely adequate but I was interested as it gave the option to plan a possible route, with maps and some info and also to record ....with connecting lines...where you'd been. I know some others do this but I wanted something simple to use that didn't challenge the iPad storage.

The other extras were journals..I didn't bother...and the option to access the journals and routes of friends or fellow travellers. That was was the first thing I disabled as I find that a bit intrusive. No doubt it has a place but not for me.

I had too many technical problems with the app as it had difficulty loading on the iPad, then tended to crash. I spent a fair bit of time in contact with the developer as I felt they needed feedback and some debugging testing.

We tried a few things then I gave up!

So....I think an app that allows you to plan and then to track your travels as well as accessing up to date info on conditions, facilities, etc along that route has potential. I know I like to have some idea of distances, potential geographical challenges such as road conditions, climbing etc and the real biggie....when you can fuel up, do the washing and find a supermarket, service centre or such would be useful.

Dump points?

The option to make notes could also be useful.

Have fun developing the ideal travel app!

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Slower than a speeding @Dobbie, I've found this thread and the "Places" tab.......................................looks good, will have a play and see, might be a pain on my phone though.................Wiki Camps works for me without any drama.

Reactions: bigcol