Picked up the new van..

Krisjer

Dec 27, 2011
Perth, WA
We picked up our new 1756.2 yesterday :thumb:and while at the yard going thru the run down with everything with the salesman, my husband was told that the walls in the shower were bubbling and the laminating peeling off...what the?? Fair enough it's a demo model which has sat in the yard for a couple of months while people have been shown through it, but you don't expect this on a pretty much brand new van!
We still had to pay top dollar for this van. Hubby jumped up and down as he does so well:censored: and the salesman said as everything is closed over xmas/new years, we could bring it back and it could be repaired after our holiday. Hmmm, I think they're hoping we will just go away quietly, but it's disheartening to already have a problem before you've driven it off the lot. The lino is bubbling up under the main seating area, there is already rust spots on the bed ends when you lift up the solid hatch, I just hope we don't have a lemon on our hands. We didn't crawl under the table when firstly inspecting the van before buying it and certainly didn't notice the bubbling of the shower wall. The salesman said it had happened in the last couple of days as we have had high 30's weather and it had done it in the heat??? I foresee a few trips back to get these things repaired. Did any of you buy off the lot or did you have your vans built?

Also hubby spoke to the salesman about the leaking some of you have experienced when it rains and the water leaks thru the canvas onto your bedding. The salesman said we have to wet and rewet and rewet the canvas and let it dry out inbetween times. Silly q, but if we hose directly at the canvas on the bed ends, will it wet the mattresses inside? Did those of you who experienced leaking already do this and it still leaked through the canvas?

For the van on this forum that I saw that had the side cupboard next to the stove top converted to a pantry, where did you get the insert to do that please?

So, we leave in a couple of days for a two week trip down south and we're all excited, just hope the shower doesn't prove to provide problems. Apparently we can still use it, but I'm dubious about causing further damage. Anyway, we will make the best of it and enjoy all the other wonderful things that are just fine!

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
havent heard of watering done the stitching,hopefully someone else could answer that for you.hard luck about the shower blistering, has been widely reported in the past with jayco shower/toilet setup of this happening. we are watching out for ours to do the slightest and will be on it for correction. i too am interested on seeing this converted pantry you mention krisjer, any one out there with a solution? just enjoy the van for trip away and make a list for anything to get rectified or ask a freindly fellow caravanner for assistance if you think your something incorrect

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
If your taking about this it's standard
van12.jpg

Doogle

Mar 18, 2011
Melbourne, Victoria
If your taking about this it's standard
It might be standard on your 16' but it's not standard on the 17.56-1 or -2.

Also, in regards to the wetting of the canvas stitching, the theory is that when the stitching becomes wet and then dries it shrinks and pulls tighter so it's less likely to leak. This will happen on any canvas that is stitched together (tents, annexes etc).
As for the mattress getting wet, this can happen when it rains and something touches the inside of the canvas bed end walls....just like it will happen to any canvas tent. Anything touching the canvas on the inside will force the water from the outside to soak through to the inside.....so if your doona or mattress is touching the canvas bed end walls when it's raining then there is the chance water will soak through and your Donna or mattress will get wet.

On the inside of the canvas bed ends there is like a plastic skirt that runs around the lower part, roughly the same height as the mattress...I assume to counteract t
His occurring.....but your Doona, arm, feet, pillow etc can still touch he canvas walls and cause this problem.

You can purchase bed end flys that sit on the outside so they will get wet and not the canvas on your bed ends...but they are pricey. The black privacy mesh also goes some way in stopping this....and one or two members here have even had clear PVC bed ends made (similar to the black privacy mesh screens), to completely stop the canvas from getting wet.

I guess it depends on how much of an issue this is to you as to what you can do about it.

Hope this helps...
Dave

Reactions: Krisjer

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day Krisjer. It sure is disappointing to find problems on a new van but rest assured all will be fixed by Jayco. My air-con didn't work on pick up day and as I was picking up from Newcastle and had to get back to Gold Coast, arrangements were made for the local dealer to sort out the problems at MY convenience. Problems found with my roof were discovered just before a 3 months trip away, I was just told to contact them and make a time for repair when we returned. Our warranty was up within a day or two of our return and the repair shop could not fit us in for a couple of weeks. But Jayco have still agreed to fix a list of problems presented to the repair shop after warranty date, one of which was the shower wall bubbling out.

Enjoy your holiday, use it as a shakedown trip and look closely at the van then and later, when back at home. All will be fixed. :high5:

Paul

goanna

Jul 8, 2011
Perth WA
Hi Krisjer, sorry to hear you are having the same problem we have with the shower, ours is going to be repaired under warranty by Ken Peachey caravan repairers Caravanland so we have been told by Jayco over east were unable to replace the shower but I believe they are trying to get a maintenance section started. We have been waiting for the screens for just over 7 weeks so hopefully will be in Perth early in the new year

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Things that I have found with Jayco is they make parts when they run that model van and dont normaly carry spare doors etc so you'll need to wait till the van run is on
also they will fix the problem and if you arent happy contact HQ and let them know and stay on their case and it WILL be fixed. I have heard of people getting things fixed even out of warrenty

Krisjer

Dec 27, 2011
Perth, WA
Thanks all. We've spent the day hosing down the canvas ends and letting them dry a few times..theory of letting the canvas shrink around the stitching of the zips. Seems to doing well so far. WE also have some sort of black netting privacy screens attached to the ends so I wonder if they will also act as a rain deterrent. Anyone else have these privacy screens?

Oakesy

Dec 30, 2011
Newcastle NSW
I have ordered these for my new 18.57.9 - they work a treat. When I went to Jayco the other day it was teeming down and the canvas was relatively dry - even with a cross wind the canvas would stay drier than without them - they are a no see me mesh meaning you can see out, but noone can see in.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
We have the black privacy screens and so far they work well in keeping the canvas dry. We have encounted rain a few times on our travels with the worst being at Yulara.

There are a few different manufactures of the screens depending where you buy your van from so the weave may be a variable.

If you do a search Moto Moto, Chartrock and Triton (sorry if I missed someone :spy:) have had full screens made up out of either canvas or pvc

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Yep standard privacy screens, does bugger all in a heavy cross wind rain :) but does help in most other circumstances.

Liking that rear bar though what is that?

Threw out 5 pillows and a doona last season as I can't help but touch the side of the canvas :)

Don't worry to much about the shower, its a common problem it just has not sealed from installation properly and is a common problem. Its probably good to have it replaced now as the person replacing it will do a much better job of it!!!!

Enjoy the trip, make a list and get them to fix everything and anything.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Wish i knew about the heavier weave privacy screen before getting one made out of canvas. Bugger all breeze gets through canvas when its wet and still hot/hummid outside.
Stays dry, just no airflow at all!