Pete & Jane's Basestation

Janeymck

May 19, 2017
Sunbury
Hi all
Thanks for the fine welcome we would love to share our modifications and experiences with you
as we are on our 6 months trip this might take a while to get up to speed
but i'm sure there will be beer and wine time in front of the laptop to do this
Pete & Jane

Janeymck

May 19, 2017
Sunbury
We ordered the van in June 2015 the configuration was 23ft off road with extended draw bar, 2 bunks but support on the other wall for the extra 2 if the next owner wants to fit them
2 full length cupboards in the garage as we are using this as our traveling van and need the hanging space
Ibis air-con as we are both tall, Dometic fridge freezer with AES control and aux fan fitted for the real hot weather, table supplied but we requested it not to be fitted as we use a Dune 4x4 fold up table if we have to eat inside which just gives a great space all of the time, we also have a little fold up coffee table for the evening when we are on the couch watching TV, also outside shower to hose off the dog or Pete and an external table
2 water tanks (wish we had ordered 3) as you cant fit the originals after its built
There are probably more bits but you get the gist

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Welcome,
Your Basestation seems to have the lot.
Would be good to see some pics of your modifications and van.
Enjoy your trip.

Reactions: bigcol

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Hi all
Thanks for the fine welcome we would love to share our modifications and experiences with you
as we are on our 6 months trip this might take a while to get up to speed
but i'm sure there will be beer and wine time in front of the laptop to do this
Pete & Jane
So where a re you now? and where are you headed?

Janeymck

May 19, 2017
Sunbury
Thanks Base23 ill start with the mods when we first got it home and i undid the rear door and put it to the ground and then realised it was to steep to ride my Triumph Explorer up as it weighs 260kg, I didn't have a problem with my dirt bikes but the Triumph is the main bike to take away on the bigger trips so I went to the Local engineering shop and we put a plan together to solve the problem as per the photos Regards Pete

IMG_3991.JPG IMG_3992.JPG IMG_3994.JPG IMG_4005.JPG IMG_3997.JPG IMG_4003.JPG

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Thanks Base23 ill start with the mods when we first got it home and i undid the rear door and put it to the ground and then realised it was to steep to ride my Triumph Explorer up as it weighs 260kg, I didn't have a problem with my dirt bikes but the Triumph is the main bike to take away on the bigger trips so I went to the Local engineering shop and we put a plan together to solve the problem as per the photos Regards Pete

View attachment 49499 View attachment 49505 View attachment 49501 View attachment 49502 View attachment 49503 View attachment 49504
Ramp looks fantastic and looks like it has solved the problem.
Have you also put extra tie downs in the floor?

Janeymck

May 19, 2017
Sunbury
Ramp looks fantastic and looks like it has solved the problem.
Have you also put extra tie downs in the floor?
yes i had to fit new rear mounting points so the rear wheel tie down could pull forward, also had to get the front support spot on otherwise couldn't get the toilet cassette out
i will try and put more stuff on tomorrow Pete

Janeymck

May 19, 2017
Sunbury
while the ramp was being built we also had 2 Gerry can holders fitted (has been changed since ) and extra dolly wheel holder on the inside of the chassis so i don't have undo the Andersen hitch chain every time

IMG_4063.JPG jockey wheel holder.JPG

Reactions: bigcol and Base23

Janeymck

May 19, 2017
Sunbury
Then i saw a similar front box setup on a Basestation up at Lake Epplalock so it had to be changed
the box that fits is a Box King from Autobarn
I had the existing Gerry can and gas bottle brackets removed then refitted on the bracing and welded
I fitted the gas bottles to one side and fitted the regulator to the box, the existing copper line reached which was a bonus
on top of the box i glued a soft rubber matting from Bunnings and now the bed has a proper support not just off the straps
now all of the hoses leads and other bigger stuff have a secure place to live

IMG_5858[1].JPG IMG_5860[1].JPG IMG_5862[1].JPG

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
I like the tool big tool box.
I fitted a small one on my basestation but i need to remove it and fit a bigger one now so I can fit my new generator in it.

craggitt13

Aug 5, 2016
Ipswich QLD
Then i saw a similar front box setup on a Basestation up at Lake Epplalock so it had to be changed
the box that fits is a Box King from Autobarn
I had the existing Gerry can and gas bottle brackets removed then refitted on the bracing and welded
I fitted the gas bottles to one side and fitted the regulator to the box, the existing copper line reached which was a bonus
on top of the box i glued a soft rubber matting from Bunnings and now the bed has a proper support not just off the straps
now all of the hoses leads and other bigger stuff have a secure place to live

View attachment 49513 View attachment 49514 View attachment 49515
What are the measurements of the toolbox?

Reactions: TarmacNtrack

Janeymck

May 19, 2017
Sunbury
Hi the one thing i didn't pack on this trip was a tape measure so when i get my hands on one ill send the specs also you could drop autobarn and have a look Pete

Janeymck

May 19, 2017
Sunbury
Hi i managed to borrow a tape measure and the measurements are 1210mm wide 700 high 500 deep at the bottom 370 deep at the top Pete

Janeymck

May 19, 2017
Sunbury
Hi 1day it involved a piece of wire shelving from bunnings and a friend had a sheet metal folder so we folded it up and welded it together, painted and put a plywood base in .
I had to remove the middle shelf so i could line up and screw the slide rails into the shelf then i attached the basket to the rails with a couple of cable ties .
If you need measurements ket me know Pete

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Hi 1day it involved a piece of wire shelving from bunnings and a friend had a sheet metal folder so we folded it up and welded it together, painted and put a plywood base in .
I had to remove the middle shelf so i could line up and screw the slide rails into the shelf then i attached the basket to the rails with a couple of cable ties .
If you need measurements ket me know Pete
Ok thanks for letting me know
Stuart

Janeymck

May 19, 2017
Sunbury
The next part of the van setup was trying to give it some off road capability so i crawled underneath to survey the van and all of the pipework and electrical were all rubbing against the chassis rails.
So i bought a heap of foam pipe lagging all different sizes and spent 3 hours wrapping every piece that was exposed to the chassis.
Also the other weak point was the drain piping which is sitting right behind the wheel so i had a protective plate made to save it Pete

IMG_5967.JPG
IMG_5968.JPG
IMG_5969.JPG
IMG_5970.JPG
IMG_5971.JPG

Reactions: Base23 and bigcol