Perth to Perth in 18(ish) months

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
Two weeks to go before we start another lap (sort of) around Australia again. This time I want to visit a few more bucket list places like Oodnadatta via Flinders Ranges, Cape York, and Brisbane to Sydney coastline. I've given the Starcraft and tug a pretty decent check over and added a few more comfort & rough road mods so there is just the packing to do.

We don't have a fixed time constraint so 18 months is as good a guess as any!

My last 2 things on the go are a new xgody (very cheap) gps that I'm just now updating with new maps and figuring out how to use it. I mostly use my phone as a gps because it is real easy to link from wikicamps but my wife prefers a dedicated gps.

And I bought 2 sets of 4 wheel TPMS units (again very cheap) to monitor my tyres which are not as new as the could be for corrugations etc. The down side is the sensors leak...so I'm sorting that out with the supplier. 6 out of the 8 leak but I have searched high and low on google but can't find anyone complaining about leaking external sensors so what are the odds I get 2 leaking sets?. The problem as far as I can see is caused by the circuit board (which houses the pressure sensor chip) not pressing down hard enough on a rubber washer which could be remedied by filing down the circuit board mounting posts.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Sounds like an interesting sojourn, might be the last chance you get for the Cape before they tar it, its not the adventure it once was since they put a bridge over the Wenlock but the dirt is still the same, just take care with the lunatics who think they are the only ones on the road.......................when they tar it I will return.
Even with TPMS still get out and look at your tyres every morning as the TPMS won't show the chunk missing or the echinda spine in the sidewall until its too late.
Don't forget the pics ..........................

Reactions: Bluey

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Should plan some group meets along the way like @1DayIll i hate you whoed want to do that ahhhhhhhhh all of us
Have a great trip enjoy and stay safe

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
First stop (well after a few rest areas) is Stokes NP near Esperance WA. First time visiting and really liking the setup. Big, well spaced sites, quality toilets and camp kitchens.
IMG_20200221_111549.jpgIMG_20200221_120059.jpg

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
Now camped out in the Lincoln National Park. Feeling lazy so booked a spot in the Surfleet Cove camp ground which has sealed access and toilets.
Disappointed to read my plan to visit Cape York may be disrupted as everything north of the Jardine ferry is closed until further notice due to virus quarantine.

Oh well, plenty of other places to see

IMG_20200317_124613.jpg

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My mate in Wait Awhile just mentioned to me that there are stirrings that WA should close the gate to keep the Eastern Staters out.. You might be locked out, Tassie might unhook the chain as well..

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
So far I have heard about closures impacting the CSR, GCR, Cape York.
Maybe we should start a thread on impacted areas as we hear?
We're now planning to speed up our start of the Northern leg and head towards Leigh Creek next week

Reactions: 1DayIll and Drover

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
A short overnight at Port Neill and a long (for me) drive to just outside Ceduna. A few groceries tomorrow and then a push to the WA border before Tuesday. Goodness knows where they will put (and feed) any returning vans and cars for 14 days in Eucla

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
We have made it to 10k East of the WA border and will cross tomorrow. Plan is now to head to somewhere like Carnarvon or Exmouth and see how things unfold.

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
BTW the caravan association Web page is worth a look as they seem to be making some headway on the status of those living on the road, caravan parks, and self isolation rules.
Also hear that Robe has become a nomad self isolation hotspot much to the concern of the 1 doctor and volunteer ambo

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
Robe, looks like they are trying to isolate the town. On SA news last night 23rd. May try to only serve locals.