Perth to Brisbane in 12 days

Treesyg

Jun 28, 2021
Wellard
Greetings ….

We are embarking on a trip to visit family for Christmas. The plan is to leave early December (around the 10th) and take 12 days to get there. It’s challenging to work out the best route and places we should stop along the way. And we probably needed to have booked a month or four ago! Thinking Esperence first and then we would stay a day. But from there … that’s more of a challenge, especially given we are unfamiliar with great spots to definitely include and the numerous options before us. It’s also a little concerning with the whole COVID thing and possible issues with traveling given the current crazy we are all dealing with.

So, for experienced travelers … what itenary would you recommend on our speedy trip to get to family whilst seeing sights along the way? Recommended sites to lay over also very welcome. I will continue to puzzle over the options in the meantime. I thought for the experienced, you would have a definitive road plan if it were you so thought I should definitely throw it out there:)

And the family and I will really appreciate your feedback and tips. My limited knowledge could really scar my kids memories of a classic trip across the country!! Please do help;-)

Thanks a ton! Teresa
We will then need to come back but first we need to get there:)

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Greetings ….

We are embarking on a trip to visit family for Christmas. The plan is to leave early December (around the 10th) and take 12 days to get there. It’s challenging to work out the best route and places we should stop along the way. And we probably needed to have booked a month or four ago! Thinking Esperence first and then we would stay a day. But from there … that’s more of a challenge, especially given we are unfamiliar with great spots to definitely include and the numerous options before us. It’s also a little concerning with the whole COVID thing and possible issues with traveling given the current crazy we are all dealing with.

So, for experienced travelers … what itenary would you recommend on our speedy trip to get to family whilst seeing sights along the way? Recommended sites to lay over also very welcome. I will continue to puzzle over the options in the meantime. I thought for the experienced, you would have a definitive road plan if it were you so thought I should definitely throw it out there:)

And the family and I will really appreciate your feedback and tips. My limited knowledge could really scar my kids memories of a classic trip across the country!! Please do help;-)

Thanks a ton! Teresa
We will then need to come back but first we need to get there:)
Hi Teresa @Treesyg. Great trip you have lined up to travel Perth to Brisbane. I have not done any of that trip myself, but others will no doubt soon supply options for you.
Before embarking on such an adventure, I STRONGLY advise that you do several local journeys of overnight and longer (if possible) to test out not only your own skills, but the operation of all facilities in your newly purchased van. This includes van suspension and wheels/tyres, actual towing practice, load distribution and setting up under different conditions, internal operation of lights, battery charging/operation, stove, and water heater etc. One very important item is your 3 way fridge as it will probably get a hammering. Make sure the freeze door closes properly, the door seals are in good condition and that the fridge does operate properly and that you know how you use it. Remember, it is a heat absorption type (operates differently to a compressor electric type). Fridge MUST be level to operate efficiently - within 3 degrees (drawbar to rear) and within 6 degrees (across van wheel to wheel). The closer to that, the better the operation! A lot of newbie vanners don't realise this or forget and don't get the best out of the fridge. There are a lot of posts on this subject and attached is the best explanation on the operation of 3 way absorption fridge to assist you . Any further questions, just put it to the forum!

Reactions: Drover and Treesyg

Treesyg

Jun 28, 2021
Wellard
Fa
Hi Teresa @Treesyg. Great trip you have lined up to travel Perth to Brisbane. I have not done any of that trip myself, but others will no doubt soon supply options for you.
Before embarking on such an adventure, I STRONGLY advise that you do several local journeys of overnight and longer (if possible) to test out not only your own skills, but the operation of all facilities in your newly purchased van. This includes van suspension and wheels/tyres, actual towing practice, load distribution and setting up under different conditions, internal operation of lights, battery charging/operation, stove, and water heater etc. One very important item is your 3 way fridge as it will probably get a hammering. Make sure the freeze door closes properly, the door seals are in good condition and that the fridge does operate properly and that you know how you use it. Remember, it is a heat absorption type (operates differently to a compressor electric type). Fridge MUST be level to operate efficiently - within 3 degrees (drawbar to rear) and within 6 degrees (across van wheel to wheel). The closer to that, the better the operation! A lot of newbie vanners don't realise this or forget and don't get the best out of the fridge. There are a lot of posts on this subject and attached is the best explanation on the operation of 3 way absorption fridge to assist you . Any further questions, just put it to the forum!

Fantastic advice!!! Thanks so much. We have so much to learn and it’s just wonderful to learn from those who have gone before us;-)

We are definitely planning on doing a number of short and shortish trip leading up to the big one to work out the nuances of setting up, operation and pack up. And we also have the van now booked into get a full check over so we can be sure the van is good to make the trip etc.

Will get to watching the video on the refrigerator.

Thanks again! Much appreciated!

Reactions: Boots in Action

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
At that time of year you certainly will find it hot if your coming over here not sure I would do it via the Top End in summer, most of the great places in Western QLD to visit shut up shop from October to March or at least run at a minimum level, once past Emerald things are as normal, the coast would need bookings but I wouldn't be paying a deposit..........

Reactions: Boots in Action

Treesyg

Jun 28, 2021
Wellard
At that time of year you certainly will find it hot if your coming over here not sure I would do it via the Top End in summer, most of the great places in Western QLD to visit shut up shop from October to March or at least run at a minimum level, once past Emerald things are as normal, the coast would need bookings but I wouldn't be paying a deposit..........
We were thinking of traveling across the bottom end for that reason. And probably will just stick to Sunshine Coast area where family are when we head to QLD. It’s a tricky one with COVID but hopefully by the end of the year, we should be good! Thanks for your input!

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
Esperence is very nice but can be busy in December. How many days from there to Perth? In a hurry I would go Norseman, Coolgardie, Southern Cross, Perth.
I like route 40 ravensthorpe, hyden, plus many farming towns. Ravensthorpe, Hopetoun, Fitzgerald NP, Bremer Bay, Albany, Perth is a nice coastal route but lots of side trips required.

Many free camp options on all those routes but wikicamps is a great help in finding the best ones.

Reactions: Treesyg