Patrol Out - 2010 NT Pajero Activ in.....

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
Well I finally did it,

I do love the Patrol It's been faultless for the past 5 years & taken us all over this country of ours. We will be sad to see it go but after putting up with it's struggle up long hills since we bought the Expanda we finally had to say goodbye to it. :frown:
It's been traded in on a 2010 NT Pajero Activ DID which we pick up next weekend....... Can't wait.:biggrin: If the test drive it any indication it's gonna be great. And after reading the reports on different forums it sounds like it's the perfect tow vehicle (at least in our price range) I guess we'll find out soon enough..... It was time for an upgrade anyway. The wife is pleased also as between trips it becomes her daily drive.
I'll post some picks when we get it. It's just stock at the moment but I already have plans for it........:bounce:

Cheers,

Paul.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Well I finally did it,

I do love the Patrol It's been faultless for the past 5 years & taken us all over this country of ours. We will be sad to see it go but after putting up with it's struggle up long hills since we bought the Expanda we finally had to say goodbye to it. :frown:
It's been traded in on a 2010 NT Pajero Activ DID which we pick up next weekend....... Can't wait.:biggrin: If the test drive it any indication it's gonna be great. And after reading the reports on different forums it sounds like it's the perfect tow vehicle (at least in our price range) I guess we'll find out soon enough..... It was time for an upgrade anyway. The wife is pleased also as between trips it becomes her daily drive.
I'll post some picks when we get it. It's just stock at the moment but I already have plans for it........:bounce:

Cheers,

Paul.

Hi Paul

The Pajero certainly tows our expanda well and you will notice the difference given the Pajero does 0-100km in 11 secs verus the Patrols 18 secs. Pretty capable of road as well. Look forward to pics.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
It sure is tough letting go of the Patrol, i have been through that lately. So many great memories for us with our one. I'm sure you are the same.

BUT, I hear nothing but great things about the Paj (mainly from Cruza and Bushy crapping on:cell:) so hopefully you will have many great trips ahead with it.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Bloody hell!!!...
Someone better get on here and rename this forum ExpandasandPajerosDownunder....

Hehe..

Congrats BTW......a Pajero was 2nd on my list if I didn't go the Jeep, I loved the NP I used to have.

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
Hi Paul

The Pajero certainly tows our expanda well and you will notice the difference given the Pajero does 0-100km in 11 secs verus the Patrols 18 secs. Pretty capable of road as well. Look forward to pics.

Thanks Jim,

The pics will come....... I haven't picked it up yet..

I noticed a certian Jim on a certain forum about Pajeros too ! Good to see...

Cheers,

Paul

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
Thank Guys for the comments,
Can't wait to pick it up, Why do these things take so long to organise? I have already made enquiries for a suspension upgrade, battery tray & snorkel...... So it'll all start happening once I take delivery.
Cheers,

Paul

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
You'll love it Paul, and so will your wife....it's my wifes drive car between towing too!

Cheers.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Bloody hell!!!...
Someone better get on here and rename this forum ExpandasandPajerosDownunder....

Hehe..
Congrats BTW......a Pajero was 2nd on my list if I didn't go the Jeep, I loved the NP I used to have.

I don't know Matty there is a few BT's and Rangers on here too :dance:
Its ok Matty us Pajero owners will still talk to you :grouphug:

Sounds like you have the mods already sorted out PMK

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
Sounds like you have the mods already sorted out PMK

Not quite yet CD, these are just the basics. I'm still thinking about the EGR block & a 3" exhaust (this made a huge difference on the Patrol) But I need to do a bit more research yet. Dont want any annoying fault codes do we!
Oh ! and a Bull Bar is not out of the question either. Thing is we mainly do trips with the expanda or do desert trips these days, not much high country 4wdriving or bush stuff so might hold out on that one. Haven't hit a roo in 30 years of travelleing...... (Prob will now)

Cheers & thanks all for the comments once again

Paul

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
Paul, I went through the same pain replacing my GU with the Pajero for basically the same reasons as you. The wife loves driving it day to day and it's done everything we've asked and more. If you're looking at possible mods I've recently added a torque converter lock up switch (I assume you have an Auto) which has made towing the expanda more economical and apparently puts less stress and heat into the auto, not to mention the off road advantages.

Andrew

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
It is always a funny feeling letting go of a car that you liked, but we too parted ways with the Patrol, but ended up going down the path of the BT-50. Have not yet towed with it, but I am looking forward to that.

Well done, I'm looking forward to seeing some photos.

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
Paul, I went through the same pain replacing my GU with the Pajero for basically the same reasons as you. The wife loves driving it day to day and it's done everything we've asked and more. If you're looking at possible mods I've recently added a torque converter lock up switch (I assume you have an Auto) which has made towing the expanda more economical and apparently puts less stress and heat into the auto, not to mention the off road advantages.

Andrew

Will have a look at the Tourqe convertor lock switch, must say don't know much about it but sounds like a good idea. I guess towing in 4th the auto wouldn't lock the convertor by itself. Need to do a bit of research on that one.....

Thanks for the idea,

Paul

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
OK Here it is......... Pre Mods. IMG_5407 (2) (800x583).jpg

Going in for a suspension upgrade, Snorkel & battery tray... So I can reinstall the system I salvaged from the Patrol. Later I'll be looking at Tyres & a few other things but am running out of cash so anything else is going to have to wait. I have a few other things I salvaged that are going in also, like UHF, Lightforce 170's & of course the engel. P3 Brake controller Anderson Plug for the Expanda & I have to fit & wire a 12 pin trailer socket too as it only has a 7 pin.
Took it for a drive last Sunday up to Eildon, Geez it goes good & handles fantastic, Much nicer to drive than the Patrol...... (I must be getting old !!) Am yet to tow with it but reckon it'll be great. Oh & it used bugger all fuel too (once again not towing)

Cheers,

Paul

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Paul looks great, and will be better with the mods. The DiD engine and that transmission are such a great paring. It's good to see a lot of the cruiser and patrol people changing over, Its reputation is not without being earned either, I notice the serious/ experienced 4wders all talk highly of the Paj and it's ability and it only seems the small minded mock them nowadays. Happy motoring.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Looks like a great pick up Paul. The motors in them just seem to tick along without much fuss I find. Ours has done 4,500km and loving it.

Nice choice to give it a run up to Eildon too.

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
Thanks again for the comment guys,

Yep CD, Eildon is one place we like to visit every now & then. Funny we went there Sunday to see the spilway in action............ Well it wasn't... Disapointment all around as I thought it was flowing. Last time I saw it was Years back. Been there plenty of times it wasn't. My 16 yr old has never seen it flow... Still a great place & the drive there is is just beautiful, as well through Healsville & surrounds.

Paul