Chassis Parking on a slope

Blybo

Nov 7, 2019
Melbourne
So I have to park my Panda on our driveway now. when i reverse it up the driveway our hitch is quite close to the ground. This means the jockey wheel is attached with the 2 clamping rings of the outer barrel above the clamp. I have to extend the jockey wheel to full extension to get the rig close to level but I'm concerned about long term effects of doing so. The driveway at the front of the van is on too much of a slope for using a standard jack. How else can i support the weight whilst I move the jockey wheel barrel further down the clamp? I don't trust the stabilizers to take the full weight and 1 is already slightly bent from a previous owner obviously trying to something similar.

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
you are correct about the stabilizers, they are not designed to hold the weight of the van ,only to stop it moving when you are in the van, use them as a jack and they will bend.the first thing you must do is chock the van wheels so they can not let the van take off down the slope, do not rely on your park brake,once fully chocked and secured (park brake on) you can try to use your wheel change jack to level A frame to where you want it ,only rely on your jockey wheel to achieve the desired height, if you have to use spacers on the jockey make sure they are grooved to hold the jockey in place, you will see some funny photos about stacks of bricks ect. all will soon go bad.do not expect the jockey wheel to hold the weight long term as the hard rubber wheel will fail, best to overdo the support , timber chocks and jockey wheel ,spend some time setting up and life will be easier, what sort of wheel change jack do you carry? by the way i replaces my rubber jockey wheel with a metal castor wheel from bunnings because i replaced two rubber ones in quick time i should have clarified that when using a wheel change jack you can move further back along the a frame to get lift clearence

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you want to have it level wind the jockey up half way put a jack stand under the draw bar, on blocks if need be, then reposition the jockey wheel with some blocks under it and wind up again till you get the level, hold van with jockey and repack the blocks under the stand, don't use the jockey wheel to hold it up a stand for parking up is way better and safer and don't extend the stands post too much, better to put more blocks under it for stability, of course wheels should be chocked front and back, many don't realise that the van can walk back on a slope as you play with levels. You may have to step the blocks so the jack stand is level.

If you have a tandem axle its best to try to keep the wheel hubs on the same plane, front wheel hub is close to the same line as the rear one this will allow the weight to be evenly spread over the axle set up, raise the front or rear too high and the axle can actually be hanging from the chassis with the other axle taking all the load... so you may need to run an axle up on a ramp or block, so run van back further than you want, place ramp and roll downhill on to it till you have level or near level axles........ I used to just run my front axle onto a 40mm block at daughters as I had the front up about 1.5 jockey wheels , of course the jack stand was sitting on a pile of timber about 300mm high, I hated it.

Never use the stabs for any lifting, they just stop the rock when the wind blows, or other things.... If you need to use the stands and its too high just pack up with some blocks/rock/brick etc just dont load them up.

Blybo

Nov 7, 2019
Melbourne
Thanks guy's. I've sent SWMBO down to supercheap auto to grab some caravan stands on her day off. Van is single axle 16.49.4 with wheels chocked and handbrake on hard. I also have a rubber jockey wheel receiver as a secondary safety measure as it grips the painted concrete driveway well. I'll have to use some bricks for now to lift the stands if necessary while adjusting jockey wheel in the clamp.

I assume it is best to place stands on the front corners of the van rather than the (extended) draw bar? It will be a more level surface the further back I use them. I'll see once I get home but also assume I'm better to take the weight on the stands long term and just have moderate pressure on the jockey wheel?

I've also just bought a Saracen hitch lock and wheel clamp for some added anti theft protection now that it is stored in the open. The hitch lock also holds the chains which i thought was a good bonus.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I usually place mine ubder the draw bar at the hitch but you can place a stand either side at the front But put them under the draw bar where it crosses the chassis, not anywhere else as it may not take the weight. When working on a van only put jack stands under chassis rails or axle all other beams are not load bearing...bricks layed across each other are fine. A 1 ton rated jack stand minimum that thas a 4 leg support should be used, the round base with single post are not ideal.

Blybo

Nov 7, 2019
Melbourne
Thanks everyone. Forgot to get back to you to let know it's all good now. A little disconcerting that the stands are made of some composite plastic, so have the extendable arms as low as possible with each stand sitting on 2 bricks.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have seen them, I wasn't too impressed with them, could only wonder how they would handle the sun, I use an alloy 1ton caravan stand that has actually been holding up vans since the late 70's and still going strong though at home a truck stand does the job but it stays at home as its a heavy bugga.

20200219_125129.jpg...stakajack

20200219_125048_HDR.jpg

Last edited: