17' Series Palm Valley – Camp Ground – Finke Gorge National Park

BTS

Mar 1, 2013
Sydney
Was just wondering if anyone has taken their Expanda to the Palm Valley Camp Ground in the Finke Gorge National Park (NT). As I have spoken to a few different sources and some say it is easy for a caravan to get there, whilst the National Park said they do not recommend it as it is extreme 4WD. Fully understand that conditions in these areas can change quickly, however if it is that difficult to get a van there, we'll just do a day trip without the Expanda, but if it is possible (conditions permitting), we would like to spend a few days there.
We will be towing 2013 17.56-1 OB with simplicity suspension, and visiting the area early October 2015

Would really appreciate anyone's experience in getting their Expanda into this Camp Ground

Thanks

Fabulous

Feb 26, 2013
Melbourne
We've been to the camp ground ( and Palm valley for that matter) twice., though not towing. I probably wouldn't. You can get an off-road camper-trailer in ok, as they tend to be a bit lighter and shorter. I guess it would depend on the ever changing track conditions. When we went it, didn't engage 4wd, but parts were a bit wet. That said, been in previously and parts were very sandy and needed low range. You effectively are driving down a river bed (finke river).

You will need some good clearance.

Interested in other people's thoughts.

Kenshi123

Jun 24, 2012
Ballarat
Didn't tow in but would have not had an issue as it was dry. When we drove in last month the roads were fine. The drive from the camp ground to Palm Valley (about 4km) is very hairy, but you can't camp there anyway.
If you enter from Hermannsberg then you are only really dealing with sand, dirt and few rocks.
It would be a good idea to check the weather conditions prior to heading in as it would get rough in the wet.

Cheers!

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
Loved this campground. Best skies we have seen, great for star gazing. As for the campground we took our Starcraft 17.58-3OB towed by our NT Pajero in there and there were a few other vans mainly Jayco's. Had it in 4H and that was fine. I am assuming that you have a 4WD, would be a different story if it has rained. We travelled there mid June this year, fortunately the road had just been graded, and we bumped into the grader driver as he was finishing. Bit tight in some sections and sandy in others, but would be happy to take our van back in again, weather permitting. One of my favourite places on our trip so far. They have solar showers, so remember shower mid arvo or else not so much hot water. We also had dingos running through there.
Think from memory $15.40 for a family of 4 per night. Cool at night when we were there, but diesel heater helped with that. They have communal fire places which was also good for a chat within fellow travellers and a few drinks. Met some really great people there.

Cheers
greynt

Reactions: Kenshi123

BTS

Mar 1, 2013
Sydney
Hi all
Thanks for the info, we also have a NW Pajero, so I think we will make the decision once we get there, hoping the current wet weather in Alice is cleared in the next few weeks before we get there.

Reactions: greynt