No Options Apply Pajero, Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3 OB Hayman reese WDH MK1 | spring bars to low to ground

megcam

OK - agree that is maximum tilt. Did you have the bars really loaded up in the first pick? Only thing I can think of is maybe I had 28" bars and yours are 30". Just as an aside - where are you going that you need to take that much diesel?

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
Shame maximum tilt has been achieved with this WDH

I will have to try again adjusting the WDH. I used the jockey wheel to take the towball load and a bit more then attached chains.

I will give it another go on Friday and this time will put one side on then the other and see what the result is.

We are heading out from Sydney to Lyndhurst, Oonadatta track, lake Eyre, Dalhouse springs, Mount Dare, Curtin Springs, Uluru, West McDonnel ranges, Alice Springs to name a few.

I only get about 400kms out of the Pajero tank max 450 but don't want to go that low (maybe if I dropped the speed to 100 not 110 then would get another 1-1.5L/100 improvement in mileage)

Some places we will leave the caravan for day trips etc.

Want some fuel for the diesel heater too.

Other reasons are to fill up where it is cheaper but I know we will then be carrying the extra weight with us etc.

Excluding this trip, when we are not too loaded up, the Pajero seems to tow well and not excessive front end lifting up. If we put a bit more cargo (which we will during this trip) then front end will lift up quite a fair bit

Last edited:
Reactions: G Daddy

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Shame maximum tilt has been achieved with this WDH

I will have to try again adjusting the WDH. I used the jockey wheel to take the towball load and a bit more then attached chains.

I will give it another go on Friday and this time will put one side on then the other and see what the result is.

We are heading out from Sydney to Lyndhurst, Oonadatta track, lake Eyre, Dalhouse springs, Mount Dare, Curtin Springs, Uluru, West McDonnel ranges, Alice Springs to name a few.

I only get about 400kms out of the Pajero tank max 450 but don't want to go that low (maybe if I dropped the speed to 100 not 110 then would get another 1-1.5L/100 improvement in mileage)

Some places we will leave the caravan for day trips etc.

Want some fuel for the diesel heater too.

Other reasons are to fill up where it is cheaper but I know we will then be carrying the extra weight with us etc.

Excluding this trip, when we are not too loaded up, the Pajero seems to tow well and not excessive front end lifting up. If we put a bit more cargo (which we will during this trip) then front end will lift up quite a fair bit
Should be getting more than that from the Pajero towing a pop top, I could get 500 to 540km, even towing our big beast full van at 2.5 ton can stretch it to around 450/ 480 in reasonable conditions, that crusing 90 to 100 km depending on road conditions of course, running around 13/100 with pop-top average 16/18 with the beast

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Jared01 the bottom section of the hitch where the bars attach is pretty close to 90deg to the drop shank, with tbe top section tilted fwd
20180622_140758-resized-2048.jpg

The tips of my torsion bars are 260mm off the ground. I had very little pressure on my, i can load the bars by hand without using the bar. Your not so far off my clearance, and i had no issues at 260mm

I have 500kg constant rear suspension, i dont need to level. I only use enough tension on the wdh to reduce porpoising. If you lift up one more link youll have the same clearance. Hope this helps
20180622_141333-resized-2048.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: G Daddy

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
Thanks for all the feedback.

An update on this.

We went for trial run before our upcoming 3 week trip and I fitted the WDH on Sunday morning.

I had to lower the hitch onto the bottom bolts of the drop shank and then snapped up the bars using the chain. I chose 7 working links (later realised that may be too much and will try 8 the next time).

I was happy with the ground clearance of about 30cm (from memory) which is much more that I had thought it would be.

It seems to travel nicely on the road and highway and will see how much better it behaves on our upcoming trip. I had 10PSI in our airbags too and raised that up to 15Psi as it was rocking/bouncing a bit at times.

Unfortunately I did not get any photos but will when I get a chance. The bars also fit up above the StoneStomper so I wrapped the spring bars in armaflex to protect it.

So it took a while to get sorted but finally the WDH is usable (I had to get the corners grinded on the WDH as they were square whereas my hitch receiver on the car has rounded edges).

Thanks for all the help!

Reactions: G Daddy and WHHEMI