img024.jpg
img028.jpg
img035.jpg
img046.jpg
img073.jpg
img084.jpg
img284.jpg
Hi All

Thought some people here might appreciate these photos. They are scans from slides of a trip my mum did I think in the late 50s or early 60s. I haven't cleaned the images up yet so they are a bit speckled etc. Will let you have a guess as to where they were taken.

Last edited:

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
The tree's in the Tennant picture didn't survive, I think. My first exposure to Tennant was arriving through Qld to there on a Sunday afternoon in about August '73 and I don't recall any trees down along the road, just a ribbon of narrow bitumen with expanses of dirt either side. Stayed the night at the Tennant Ck Hotel, off to left and behind picture, and the 5 of us went to the Goldfields Hotel (pictured on right) for drinks in the front bar. It was an eye opener. Worked in Tennant a number of times in late 70's to early 80's but didn't frequent either Hotel as Memorial Club was nicer.

Reactions: megcam

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
my uncle VIN used to drive those busses started first trips to the rock I wonder if its him in any of the shots unreal the stories he would tell sadly gone now but he did live till he was very old after he finished with busses and trucks he helped set up like an RTA in northern territory to make laws for trucks will see if mums got any pics

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
1 and 2 have been correctly named. 3 is obvious. 4 is Flynns grave. 5 is Barcaldine. 6 is McKinley police station. No idea where 7 is (apart from the info in the sign).

Will post some more soon.
My guess is the turnoff at the Stuart Hwy for the Ernest Giles Rd. Old route to Kings Canyon, passing Henbury craters and Wallara Ranch. Tempe Downs is North of Wallara and Angus South along the new bitumen up from Lasseter Hwy to Wallara. Was last out there about 30 years ago and not missing that road to Kings Canyon at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: achjimmy and megcam

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I heard the other day that the loop road (merenni?) from Alice to
Kings Canyon is now bitumen.

Can anyone confirm this?

Last time we were out there it was certainly a challenge.