Our crusade towards the 18.57-5 OB

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
We had the Jayco salesman get back to us today with some preliminary questions we had on this new model. They have reconfirmed the layout alread posted on this forum plus the ability to include a washing machine like the 18.57-8 had.
So last night we put together our wish list. Some of these Jayco will do and some I will organize after market.
Here is our Jayco list.
- TV
- External 12 volt plug
- Solar panels
- Washing machine
- Ibis air conditioner
- Shelves in robes
- Awning
- LED lights
- keyed alike locks
- HWS
- Large fridge / freezer
- Wind up antenna
- external table
- suspension upgrade
- Gas point at the back of the van
- Microwave

I also want to have a chat to them about what can be done about creating a larger compartment between the under seats and front storage. I would love to be able to store a couple of chairs away without having to store them on the floor.

I already have a mod list.
- front box capable of housing gas bottles and everything needed to set up the van. I have seen one I like already on this forum. Would love to fit the webber q in this also.
- Rear vision camera
- installation of a western digital media player with a hard drive in it that contains movies and media. (no more DVDs!!)
- Outdoor cinema screen and outputs for a projector. I have taken these components along camping in the past and set up an outdoor cinema for the kids. They absolutely loved it as well as the neighboring campers kids.

So back to the salesman tomorrow to start the negotiations. Fingers crossed we meet somewhere we are comfortable with spend wise.

Thirstyviv

Jan 8, 2012
Sydney
Hey Brad great list of extras and i'm very interested to see how your external theater turns out and what yo used to set the whole thing up
Anyway mate good luck and look forward to seeing pics if the 18 with adventures

Regards

Thirstyviv

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Ay Brad you lucky bugger, the 18.57.8 did not come with a washing machine option so my salesman said in Cairns.
You are one lucky man as I recon as a layout the 18.57.5 is a way better layout in the ammenities department. God I wished I had have just waited that few months even though we love our 18.57.8.
Can I be a bit forward & ask you the cost of the new model mate with all the fruit you optioned?

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
Ay Brad you lucky bugger, the 18.57.8 did not come with a washing machine option so my salesman said in Cairns.

We where offered the washing machine option which goes under the TV cupboard, it wasn't that expensive from memory but we decided to go with out as we're a bit feral...LOLOLO

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
All up recommended retail with all these options is 57,250 as a starting point. I am expecting a bit less by the time the deal is done. Keyed alike locks seems to be a mystery to them at the moment, but I am not going to loose sleep over that one.
I will end up selling my existing expanda privately as the trade in Jayco are offering sucks. Once that is in motion I am hoping to put an order in in a couple of weeks time.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Oops, forgot to mention that I was surprised at the price of the washing machine. I was expecting something over 1,000. But it was $700.
I reacon this is something that could be retrofitted into the 18.57-8 as it replaces the entire module under the tv. Definately a mod I would have a go at.

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
Surprised at price

Hi Brad
Im surprised you have a price from your dealer as we have ordered ours, done the final layout for power points colours etc end of December and they still cant give us a price. They said we have to wait until the final prices for the caravan and camping shows are released.
Regards Jenny ps negotiate hard, we got quite a few things included.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Well your post is timely because I have finally negotiated down to a price I was happy with. I tried to make him replace that first digit of the price from a 5 to a 4 but he came just shy. But he threw in a $150 accessory voucher to use at the Jayco store and I said if he threw 2 tickets in for the caravan show also then he had a deal.

At no stage did the salesman make out that he was not sure of the price.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Hi Brad
Im surprised you have a price from your dealer as we have ordered ours, done the final layout for power points colours etc end of December and they still cant give us a price. They said we have to wait until the final prices for the caravan and camping shows are released.
Regards Jenny ps negotiate hard, we got quite a few things included.
You think they would be able to give you a price, I find it strange they haven't given you one yet :confused:
When we ordered ours we got a price over the phone and on the same day.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Laid down the deposit for our new expanda today.
:bounce::whoo::dance::happy:
YEAH BABY
Pick up at this stage is mid April.
The only thing I am trying to find out about is if Jayco can put a larger door in for a larger BBQ with roasting hood.
Let the countdown begin....

Alan

Feb 3, 2012
Altona Vic
All up recommended retail with all these options is 57,250 as a starting point. I am expecting a bit less by the time the deal is done. Keyed alike locks seems to be a mystery to them at the moment, but I am not going to loose sleep over that one.
I will end up selling my existing expanda privately as the trade in Jayco are offering sucks. Once that is in motion I am hoping to put an order in in a couple of weeks time.
I am new so this is late but i cannot believe my boot and back are not keyed alike.

Amandaturnbull

Mar 25, 2012
Is that price the outback model & do jayco do the shelves in the cupboards?

Also, will u need to get a special fitting for baby q as the bayonet fitting will be different

We r looking at ordering the same van in the next week.

simond

Jan 6, 2012
Adelaide SA
We expect ours mid May:pray:

We went for the Std model but had it under slung.

List of Extras-
Roll out Awning
Air Con
LCD Tv with Arm
Wind up Antenna
privacy Screens
Control Panel
12V fan to fridge
Anderson plug to front draw bar.
1 x gas bayonet
Drop Jacks.
Shelves to robe.
Battery provision.
Under slung with second step & mudflaps.
Extra P/P to vanity Area.
Access door to outside under lounge

"can't wait till May" :smile:

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
Sounds great Simon and Sue. We are still waiting to find out if we get the cupboards outside the bathroom. The salesman in Perth said a few weeks ago because ours was ordered in November we have the older version (older its just been released!!!!) He was hoping to do something for us but haven't heard yet. The van they had here for the show had the cupboards in and that surely would have been off production line in Jan-Feb and ours not due to come off production until 4th April.! I wonder what goes thru the minds of Jayco planning department. Still "NOT HAPPY JAN" until I get that email to say we get cupboards.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Yep ours is the outback also.
I replaced the original webber hose with a hose compatible with the gas cock on the side of the van.
This being our second expanda we have learned heaps so our list this time round has been modified to what I originally put up. Here is what we are getting either delivered by Jayco or after the van is delivered.

- simplicity suspension
- a single 120 watt solar pannel. (the other to come later if needs be)
- wind up antenna but I am replacing the winegard version with the Saturn version as it caters for both horizontal and vertical signal transmission around Australia. I purchased the adaptor at the caravan show to install this on the roof using the wineguard wind up mechanism.
- ibis air con
- largest external drop down table
- 190 liter fridge freezer
- microwave
- washing machine
- led lights throughout
- awning
- Extension of drawbar by 300 ml. This is to offset a checkerplate toolbox 1700 long that will be installed on the drawbar. I will mount the gas bottles in the toolbox but most of all, our chairs fit perfectly inside this box.
- As a result of adding the toolbox I can no longer access the spare tyre. So I have purchased a spare tyre mount that has a cable that you attach to the tyre and then wind up the tyre to underneath the van. The mechanism is used on older style land cruisers for their spare.
- removal of all curtains and replace with venetians throughout
- shelves in robes divided into 4 sections. Thus providing 2 shelves each for my missus and I.
- Supply trunk door under club lounge. I should be able to slide the webber into the van via the extra door.
- gas cock to front of van.
- mount the jockey wheel inside of the frame of the drawbar instead of the outside. This is because the weight distribution hitch got in the way of the jockey wheel on the old expanda. I will not have that problem if I have the jockey wheel mounted in this fashion.
- we did not get the privacy covers. Our intention is to buy these aftermarket as a combination privacy cover / waterproof cover with zip windows.
- the bathroom comes standard with this stupid toothbrush holder installed on the wall. I can just see toothbrushes bouncing out of their place as you travel around. So I have asked Jayco not to install this. Besides, it provides an extra wall to install something else on later on if I want.
- installation of wall mount tv arm only. This is because jayco provides a combination tv/DVD and I only want the TV. The reason for that is because I have found a 2 din car sterio multimedia panel that runs on android. What this means is that it plays radio, movies via a hard drive attached, is our clock, Bluetooth for linking our iPhone and because it was meant to be in a car means that it comes with in built car kit also. So hands free phone in the caravan. But the main reason I wanted this setup is because I wanted to have an option of projecting a movie via a projector outside while sitting around a camp fire. So jayco is installing an external multimedia pannel and external speakers on the side of the van that will link to the car radio kit I described above which ultimately runs the outdoor cinema.

Phew... That's it. Our delivery date is May 26. And cannot wait.