17' Series Order Placed Roll on Early December

Mullo

Aug 21, 2015
Perth, WA
We have decided to join the Panda Club moving up from our 2012 Swan.
Have placed the order for a 17.56.1 Touring model for delivery in Mid December.
Was just looking for ideas for what extras should I look at:
at this stage we going for the
External Shower pack with hot water
Anderson plug for fridge
Have got the Jayco August special TV, Antennae and Stereo system.

Also will need to change the tow car as its max ball weight is 170kg any recommendations in the 2010 range ?

Cheers

Mullo

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Welcome to the forum from another West Aussie @Mullo :)
Lots of ideas on here so hope you have plenty of time on your hands to have a look through.

I am sure you'll get plenty of responses re the tow vehicle but if you give a budget it'll give people more of an idea what to suggest.....
My suggestion... Prado ;) Ours pulls the 17.56.2 Outback no probs but it does feel the hills!

Mullo

Aug 21, 2015
Perth, WA
Thanks Mate

At this stage i'm looking at a 2010 Colorado or D-max, Hilux looks out outside of the budget. Just spent $48k on the van, so was hoping to keep the spend to around $20-$22k

Mullo

Aug 21, 2015
Perth, WA
Anyone any thoughts on under slinging the van, to me seems like a cheap alternative to the Outback and provides the extra space for storage under the Van ?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@Mullo Underslung axles are excellent for accessing steep drives and some kerbs like they have a servo's. It is a cheap alternative but don't forget the Outback also has a heavier chassis frame and draw bar !

We had a 16.49.3 tourer before the current van and the spare wheel frame at the front used to bottom out backing up the drive.... The 17.56.2 OB clears it no worries at all..... If we got another tourer model we'd definitely go the underslung axles.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Welcome aboard mate. Things I'd look to option that I wish my van had (as I bought it second hand) would include:
  1. Extended drawbar
  2. Drop down external tables (*Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring*)
  3. Offside light
  4. External shower
  5. External gas bayonet
  6. Extra power points (240 & 12V) near all tables/beds, as well as external
Really, the list could be endless. It all comes down to $$ and what kind of caravanning you plan on doing. Stick to the road and I reckon an underslung tourer is more than fine. Want to head off the road and into the bush (or a really steep driveway) and I reckon you'll want the OB.

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
Congratulations on the purchase @Mullo. Great choice of van. We should be taking delivery of a new 17.56-2 OB in the next few weeks. Waiting is a drag, luckily we have had some home renovations to keep us busy.

I think you should consider adding Electronic Stability Control to the list of extras. In terms of the tow vehicle, I reckon a 2010 NT Pajero diesel is pretty hard to beat. Good torque, decent GVM and one of the best handling cars in its class (yes the Disco is better). Value-wise, the Pajero is also hard to beat.

Mullo

Aug 21, 2015
Perth, WA
Congratulations on the purchase @Mullo. Great choice of van. We should be taking delivery of a new 17.56-2 OB in the next few weeks. Waiting is a drag, luckily we have had some home renovations to keep us busy.

I think you should consider adding Electronic Stability Control to the list of extras. In terms of the tow vehicle, I reckon a 2010 NT Pajero diesel is pretty hard to beat. Good torque, decent GVM and one of the best handling cars in its class (yes the Disco is better). Value-wise, the Pajero is also hard to beat.
How much did the ESC cost @PeterV