Old Man Emu Stay - Halls Gap

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
On the weekend @Tone and myself took our families to Halls Gap for a couple of nights. Old Man Emu Stay is the name of the property we stayed at and is run by John and Greta. They have set up a great camping area on their farm with 15 well spaced out camp spots, all with their own fire pit and park bench/ table. You must be self contained as there are no facilities so you have to have your own toilet, water and power. The fees are only $15 a night and they even provide firewood for you. There are 6 emus roaming the property as well as heaps of kangaroos, we even spotted deer under spotlight. John came and had a beer with us on Saturday afternoon and we had a good chat and he taught the kids how to throw a boomerang which was a hit. It was a very relaxing location and we loved it and will definitely be heading back there.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

The campground is located near the zoo on the Ararat - Halls Gap rd.
www.grampiansoldmanemustay.com.au

Last edited:

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Sounds like you had a great weekend @17triton - re your comment "self contained" does this mean you had to take your grey water out when you left? In other words did you need to have a grey water tank?
Bill

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Sounds like you had a great weekend @17triton - re your comment "self contained" does this mean you had to take your grey water out when you left? In other words did you need to have a grey water tank?
Bill
No Bill they are happy to water the grass with the grey water which is good:encouragement:

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Certainly looks like a great spot and one I'm sure we'll head to sooner rather than later.

And yes, I feel an explanation on the "Maxtrax" incident is required...

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
@17triton said I was using my solar panels as Maxtrax after I run over them and parked my ute on top of them. All good broken legs but the panels still work fine.
I just think @Tone is ahead of his time. A solar powered maxtrax would be a great thing seeing as they always just sit on the roof of the 4x4. His just needs a bit more grip;).

Last edited:

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
Finally got a chance to add some photos to the weekend away we had which seems more than 10 days ago. We all had a great weekend and my family are now converted to free camping something we hadn't done before except just a stop overnight while travelling, I have been paranoid about having enough battery but never had a problem, I did take a spare battery and had 140w solar/maxtrax. Diesel heater ran like a charm.

IMG_0543.jpg
First morning sunrise before a change around with our van to shelter from the cool sotherly..

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg
IMG_0575.jpg
Nice camp fire.

IMG_2243.JPG
IMG_2246.JPG

We did a spit roast pork on my recently built keg, was fantastic
IMG_0556.jpg
IMG_0563.jpg

Saturday we went for a walk up the the Venus Bathes which is at the bottom of the Elephants hide, beautiful spot and great to swim in in the summer months. Got back to to Halls Gap and got some Pies from one of the best Pies shops around, @17triton had to go back in for seconds, I knew I grabbed two while I was in there. And we couldn't come to Halls Gap without having their famous Ice creams.:preggers:
IMG_0587.jpg

Just back towards Pomonal, back in 1886 this tunnel was hand dug 1.4km through the Mt William Range to supply water to Stawell for the gold mine and the ever growing town with the gold rush, via viaducts from the Wannon River pretty amazing feet now let a lone back then. Its still use today. It was dug from both sides and when they met in the middle the tunnels were out by 20cm and the engineer was so ashamed he was that far out he commited suicide, pretty good effort with out todays modern tools.
IMG_2250.JPG

I got to try my maxtracs out so I thought we had better give @17triton winch a try no luck bogged to the axel, poor little bugger lost his gumboot.

Last edited:

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Great report Tone! Really looking forward to checking that place out ASAP. Possibly a nice free camp shake down for us.

middle the tunnels were out by 20cm and the engineer was so ashamed he was that far out he commited suicide, pretty good effort with out todays modern tools

Funny you say that. I was reading about the new tunnel in Switzerland that's been opened recently. Around 50 odd kilometres long, they met in the middle and were something like 10mm off horizontally and 80mm of vertically! And to think Jayco can't get some of the cupboards to align...