Exterior Oh no! Torn awning :(

Oct 14, 2014
Thanks for the info looks like I need more overtime shifts
The misses doesn't understand why we still need to buy and modify a brand new van

Reactions: Drover

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
The misses doesn't understand why we still need to buy and modify a brand new van

because you want it to be as comfortable with your lifestyle as you can.........

Vans are like Cars - a compromise all over
its the "personalization" that we do to our Vans, not MODs that we do..........

well, thats what I tell SWMBO anyway..........

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
I have run AFK on last two vans, haven't modded this one yet. I am two minds, yes they reduce flapping but at some point you have to pack them up anyway and then it takes three times as long! Thinking about the cheap arse straps that Velcro to the horzt bar?

I've often wondered about that and has prevented me from buying a set.

Was away last weekend and was amazed how many 'grey nomads' drive away from their van for the day and leave the awning out. My dad and I put a couple away as a southerly struck. One had an antiflap kit, didn't know where to start so had to walk away, didn't look pretty as support bars started flying off...

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I just have the velcro strap thingys but then mine isn't as big but I do have a couple of ropes holding the ends down as well, if it blows away insurance will be called upon for sure, but I think some sort of anti flap is needed otherwise the awning can be wrecked in just a breeze as it does stress the material.

Reactions: VDJ200R and bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
when we were away last time at Lake Navarino - there was a storm that kicked up......

all I did was run a "tie down strap" from one side of the awning to the other - across the top
just to stop it flapping around too much - it worked.........
looked alright to (at night) :o

Reactions: Drover and dagree

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Yep we have the Aussie Traveller AFK, It stiffens the whole awning up with 2 curved roof rafters. We rope and peg the awning down as well but if the weather is looking bad we pack it away just to be safe.
*Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* (AFK & curved rafters) Wouldnt be without them.

Takes 5min to put on, and 4min pack up. (I may revise that with the new van, its about 16ft high)

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
when we were away last time at Lake Navarino - there was a storm that kicked up......

all I did was run a "tie down strap" from one side of the awning to the other - across the top
just to stop it flapping around too much - it worked.........
looked alright to (at night) :o

Didn't look too good in the morning LOL

Reactions: james saunders

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
We havd the cheap arsed velcro ones on the last van @achjimmy and they worked OK in lighter breezes. Now have AFK's and curved roof bars on the new one and very impressed with them.

We were at Navarino with @bigcol the same night the storm was supposed to come through so ended up removing everything and rolling up the awning just before midnight (As bigcol was tying his down LOL) when the first winds hit..... Got back in van and the winds stopped :o

Reactions: james saunders

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
its a crap photo I know but for reference here's the damage :)
IMG_20141117_192234_221.jpg

peter h

Feb 12, 2014
Blacky if your going to part out your old frame please let me know. I am chasing a lower inner brace. item 10 in the maintenance / parts manual. it seems that its the one part not available on its own in Australia. We too got hit with the only gust of wind over the weekend while packing up. We have replaced all the other bent rivets and slides now just need to find some one with the inner brace. If not is the any one with any ideas where we could find a straight inner brace with out having to buy a whole leg assembly?
peter

Last edited:

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
its a crap photo I know but for reference here's the damage :)View attachment 28282

Duct tape, you just needed some Duct tape fixes everything..................................................................

a Little Bear will fix it...............
(for you yunsters - Bear Brand Celotape used to run an ad campaign (way way back), "a little Bear will fix it........." )

Reactions: dagree and Drover