17' Series Oh dear what have I started?

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Okay only 3 weeks until we leave on our Christmas road trip, still need to check wheel bearings and everthing else. of these remaining 3 weeks I am spending 10 days overseas, so why did I decide to do the mods before Christmas, no idea but here goes, this is only the beginning I will post progress pics as the work begins.
SAM_1086.JPG
SAM_1084.JPG
SAM_1085.JPG

pomtony

Oct 30, 2013
like it sir, nice work
will be doing the led thing myself in near future, and am i correct in thinking you are moving the battery-pump-hot water switch? i intend to do that also

DRW

May 29, 2013
hi @pomtony not quite, throwing the lights in the bin along with the setek charging unit, putting in a proper charger and new distribution panel, just discovered the break safe unit has neve been connected to charge its battery either, something else for the bin. I have fitted new cob led lights just need to fill the original holes. The wiring is really bad, but this is not limited to Jayco either. I will post some picks if I ever finish it

Reactions: blacky

DRW

May 29, 2013
It all began when I blew a fuse on the outside 12V outlet when running my Waeco , and didn’t have any spares. Then I checked the circuits and discovered that a lot of circuits depend on a single fuse, e.g. ALL lights 1 fuse, and ALL 12V points 1 fuse. Now being an auto electrician by trade and having owned a marine electrical business for years I thought, why not put a distribution panel in, and now working for a battery charger manufacturer, why not put a decent charger in. then as we have just started producing COB LED lights why not some of these as well? Then lets fit a DC-DC charger, now lets disconnect the rear internal speakers and put some moveable smaller speakers in (these will sit on the table when watching television). Ok lets put a solar panel input on the front tool box for our portable panels, why not put a battery output there as well for the electric caravan mover Santa might bring? This led to many curiosities, why do Jayco join everything under the van using screw connectors, i.e. the fridge wire from the plug is joined with a screw connector, the 12V supply is joined with a screw connector, all under the van in the weather there are 3 battery feeds into the van?? So being a pedantic old bustard I thought right lets change everything, so I did. Now to my surprise the actual wiring is pretty good, yep its mass-produced and obviously not wired by a tradie, but I have seen a hell of a lot worse. Anyway this will not suit everyone but I thought I would show some pics of my handy work anyway.

SAM_1088.JPG
SAM_1089.JPG
SAM_1093.JPG
SAM_1094.JPG

DRW

May 29, 2013
I still have some holes in the ceiling to fill, wish me good luck with that
Some more pics, the mat in the dunny to stop wet feet in the middle of the night, our storage on the bunk we dont use, the speakers and the 2 outside plugs on the tool box. All I have to do now is rewire the connectors on the brakes as the wires are rubbing through on the springs.
SAM_1090.JPG
SAM_1091.JPG
SAM_1095.JPG
SAM_1097.JPG

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Looks good. In the top post you had leds in your Jayco lights. Were they no good? I can see the battery charger is a Repco branded one. Do you have more details on that. If you have a spare setec unit, someone posted the other day that theirs was damaged by a lightening strike. You may be able to sell it.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Re; Holes from old lights. Maybe get some metal cut to size the same size as the old lights and powder coat them white. Then sell them as kits!

DRW

May 29, 2013
Hi @maccayak I don't like the original lights, they are bright to look at but the light output is poor (in my opinion) also I had a big influence in the making of the new ones so I thought I better fit them, really happy with them also.
I will post the setek on the for sale section, thanks for the tip
cheers
Dave

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Great work. I can't believe the way the vans are wired. Now I have a benchmark for whatI know I need to do.

DRW

May 29, 2013
tradie to tradie, its disgusting isn't it! I would lose my don't be rude if I opened up a junction box on a drill and found that! I can't wait to get some time to spend with my soldering iron heat shrink and cable ties in my van.

yeah but I have to say except for the bloody screw connectors the rest is not too bad, I was actually surprised, good cable, correct size etc. the tail light wiring harness is custom made from a harness manufacturer and its all plug and play, I assume Jayco ad the power cables in house and that's why thay are joined underneath, thats the only really let down apart from being very untidy around the charger etc but its covered by a big box. But those bloody screw connectors are don't be rude bloody poor and only looking for trouble.

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
Too right. nothing quite like moisture and copper. Green death! I havnt had too much of a play with her yet, im taking her to dubbo for four days next week while I do my air con course at tafe through work, so I might utilise my downtime up there to play :)

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Nice work @DRW, my first mod was running all the connections under van into a waterproof J box with gland nuts. Did you solder connections together instead of screw connections? I think we're all guilty of leaving things to the last minute....especially before Chrissy holidays and then panic when things have sold out or tradies can't squeeze you in! :)

Reactions: blacky