Offroad, really offroad

McFish

Jun 22, 2016
Darwin
People base there offroad experiences on the Gibb, well for some of the NT roads we have the Gibbs not that bad. Contemplating an outback 16ft Jayco Journey, I need an idea of how offroad they really are, concerned about trashing a new van. Where have you taken yours? I need some sort of benchmark.

WHHEMI

Jan 18, 2016
Yarra Valley
I know off a few Journeys that have done the Gibb as well as other outback tracks like the oodnadatta and birdsville, they do take a little work on preperation but seem to survive if towed sensibley. I don't really get the whole Outback isn't really made for offroad thing. Drop tyre pressures and tow at a sensible speed and I would take mine pretty much anywhere, 17.55.8 OB Journey.

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
It depends on whether you want Jayco to extend their warranty!

Check out the very clear statement / warning about OB and their refusal to honour warranty if the van has been used for a purpose for which it was not intended.

Having said that, the OB chassis will handle more difficult conditions than the onroad model...better than most but not as well as a speciality off-road camper or heavy van. I believe the vulnerable areas are cupboards and higher up fittings where the vibrations are exaggerated and doors fall off, microwaves pop etc etc.

As always, drive to the conditions and, if you want to bush bash for extended periods then the OB is probably not for you.

It's really designed to make difficult (not extreme) access easier rather than challenge yourself or vehicle without care.

And I agree there are roads worse than the GRR....and I've driven them with an OB but slowly and with some trepidation!

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I have seen "on road" (touring) vans in some places I would have not thought possible

I have seen an "Outback" Expanda in the middle of the forrest near Nannup - in a place my sister refused to take her Playdoh

it all depends on several things

1) preparation of the Van itself
2) desired location
3) Drivers ability to drive to conditions
4) do you really need to go there towing a Van...............?
5) if you HAVE to go there - think about a camper trailer.................

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
We are currently on the road, but took our 21-64 OB on the Gibb in July. No prep as decided very shortly before going that we'd take it. (Can't take it to Mitchell plateau). Came out fine, just recommend no heavy saucepans in the pot draw under the griller due to the way jayco install the draw runners. (In my opinion, the Gibb was fine, a bit bumpy and rocky in bits but you get that- lowered our tyres to 28 all round while hot, turned out to be between 23 and 25 cold with no problems at all). Also drove it thru NT and thru cape trib. A bit squishy, but still ok.
Picked our van up dec 2014 so is still newish.

Last edited:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
How are the cupboard doors holding up?

Ours didn't ....one only but it came off several times.

Where are you now? Staying dry and warm?

Reactions: bigcol

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
How are the cupboard doors holding up?

Ours didn't ....one only but it came off several times.

Where are you now? Staying dry and warm?
@Dobbie the cupboards, hinges and screws all stayed put. No issues. Pot draw was main culprit but that's because I have baccarat saucepans in there.
We are in Airlie beach and just about to get off the boat onto daydream island

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Mine's been all along the Savannah Way, not too difficult but a few sections with deep water crossings etc. Look at my avatar on the left
It's done the GRR and also the Kalumburu road past Drysdale station up past Kalumburu to Honeymoon Bay. One cupboard door fell off and the microwave plate fell out (but didn't break) and plenty of dust but everything else stayed put.
It's also done half the Cape Leveque rd up and into Middle Lagoon.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Screws pop out in the driveway I reckon, metal self tappers of tiny size into thin, very soft ply or pine usually missing the frame anyway don't bode well for any sort of rock and roll.

Reactions: bigcol

jawk

Apr 7, 2016
Yackandandah
Before we took our Expanda up FNQ, I had a tube of liquid nails in one hand and a screwdriver in the other. Took out every* screw I could find (hinges, drawer runners, anywhere) and dipped each screw in the liquid nails before screwing back in. I replaced quite a number of screws to with slightly longer ones where I could.

After three months of corrugations only one hinge came loose - (*I had missed it when doing the above! Was an overhead cupboard).

Did this and some other stuff to the 'van after advice from others who had done similar trips in their caravan.