Off to Darwin

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If your Off to darwin I would say if your thinking of heading through QLD be fully set up for off grid, mates out that way just telling me that Julia Creek, Longreach, Winton, Hughendon they are lining up in the streets camping waiting for someone to drive out of the parks, fella in Longreach says its like 3 showdays at once........ Glad I did my run ahead of the mob.......

Reactions: Crusty181

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
If your Off to darwin I would say if your thinking of heading through QLD be fully set up for off grid, mates out that way just telling me that Julia Creek, Longreach, Winton, Hughendon they are lining up in the streets camping waiting for someone to drive out of the parks, fella in Longreach says its like 3 showdays at once........ Glad I did my run ahead of the mob.......
we found the same coming home . all the parks at cunnamulla were full and people with vans and campers every where.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Same thing happening with friends of mine in North Queensland coastal. All parks very full with few vacancies, especially if wanting a longer stay. Only a night here and maybe two nights available there in a week's time. Must book ahead as far as possible and take what is available or you are in trouble. Can't stay where you are, and yet not able to move to next place. And the price gouging is horrific! It is becoming a case of "I have it, if you want it, you pay my price!".

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Same thing happening with friends of mine in North Queensland coastal. All parks very full with few vacancies, especially if wanting a longer stay. Only a night here and maybe two nights available there in a week's time. Must book ahead as far as possible and take what is available or you are in trouble. Can't stay where you are, and yet not able to move to next place. And the price gouging is horrific! It is becoming a case of "I have it, if you want it, you pay my price!".
C/parks are great places to drive past

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
The caravan park we were towed to (my mates Navara and the Jeep arrived by tow truck) were incredible and even though they were booked solid made room for us, Sunset Holiday Park Mount Isa could not recommend them highly enough

DRW

May 29, 2013
I’ve been thinking of petrol power next but after seeing this cruiser I’m not 100% convinced

Attachments

• 70C8519C-94C8-4E8A-A222-E21C626BC302.jpeg
    70C8519C-94C8-4E8A-A222-E21C626BC302.jpeg
    327.4 KB · Views: 253

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Still be able to get a proper truck with a Duramax, CUMMINS or Ford under the lid, just a bit big for the Woollies carpark these 2500 sized rigs....RAM, Chev, GM or maybe an eFFie.......... only the little chook chasers oilers are extinct....other then the Ranger job.

Reactions: DRW

Johnanbev

Jul 7, 2013
Sunbury VIC.
Still be able to get a proper truck with a Duramax, CUMMINS or Ford under the lid, just a bit big for the Woollies carpark these 2500 sized rigs....RAM, Chev, GM or maybe an eFFie.......... only the little chook chasers oilers are extinct....other then the Ranger job.

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Been comming back down inland and east coast Qld for last few weeks.Pks packed out ,with plenty trying to get in.Think something will have to give as large groups of Victorians who stay for up to 4 months in pks now making it difficult for others to find spots remembering there has been a 30% increase in RV sales in Qld alone.In fact one well known Cpk owner in Whitsundays told me that his group were looking at limiting stays to 6 weeks max.! Sitting here at Absolute Beachfront cpk Bargara.Sites so small that it is almost impossible to manouver .Now boxed in so going to be interesting when trying to leave Monday for Rainbow Beach.Other Bargara pk looks like a refugee camp so crowded.

• Wow
Reactions: 1DayIll and Drover

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Been comming back down inland and east coast Qld for last few weeks.Pks packed out ,with plenty trying to get in.Think something will have to give as large groups of Victorians who stay for up to 4 months in pks now making it difficult for others to find spots remembering there has been a 30% increase in RV sales in Qld alone.In fact one well known Cpk owner in Whitsundays told me that his group were looking at limiting stays to 6 weeks max.! Sitting here at Absolute Beachfront cpk Bargara.Sites so small that it is almost impossible to manouver .Now boxed in so going to be interesting when trying to leave Monday for Rainbow Beach.Other Bargara pk looks like a refugee camp so crowded.
Phew @BJM , looks like times are tough if you are on the road, and I cannot see it getting any better soon either. Is there going to be any quiet time after September/October? Looks like there will be a lot of off grid camping if one is set up for it. So much for a lean tourism season!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I usually tour mid MAR to mid May at latest, nearly home when the hordes get gong then back out late AUG to late OCT they have mostly gone home, free camps are often chockers between those dates just like the van parks..... Thats for Western QLD, down south not bad outside those times, Caravan Parks are getting like a Woollies car park room wise and charge too much..........
Local mob just back said if you stay away from the main highways off grid not too bad, just seasoned travellers while the parks along the highway are chockers with the newbies or fast runners busting their guts.... lots of them chopping green trees for firewood...... fools.

DRW

May 29, 2013
@BJM i just read your comments I’m one street back from that park, the little shop at the entrance to the retirement village does great hamburgers for $8 enjoy rainbow beach hope these westerlies disappear soon