17' Series Nothing but problems

Feb 2, 2015
We'll we did look at a retreat and cupboard door fell off above dining table and two rails weren't painted. so I guess when jayco owns half the market your going to hear more issues then others. It took us 2-3 years to buy a van and jayco won and we seen a lot of vans

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
It

my husband calls it the "Friday special' as it did come off the production line on a Friday!!

Had three vans now all new.

The middle child was built the day after a public holiday.

I warned the wife and boy was I right it was day after public holiday madness.

Unbelievable was they missed silicone in very important places which for Jayco is highly unusual.... And probably why you all get overfilled with it now.

So lots of problems but everything was fixed promptly but yes inconvenient definetly.

Got the last one and made sure the completion date was miles away from any public holiday, school holiday or important footy match.

That van was superb and very minimal faults.

The service manager at the dealer I used to go to is ex Jayco factory manager for many years and he can tell you some stories. He could even tell you the names of the people who caused it in most cases.

All said and done checked out some very expensive vans at a few shows and the workmanship has to be questioned.

But the biggest quencher is warranty.

A lot of manufactures want the van returned or to go to a small handful of dealers which when travelling can be highly difficult.

If we ever buy again you just can't beat Jayco service and price.

Get all of your issues fixed and if you feel you are being inconvenienced out of the norm speak with the dealer for compensation in lost time. Wether it is a free service or some parts ask for something and state your case.

Also if needed make them come and get the van vs you towing it there.

Last edited:

vasco pyjama

Oct 18, 2014
Have had many problems with my 2014 17.56 outback they include - silicone in shower , aircon leaking when running , checker plate coming away , bed end lug broken off , cabinet edging coming apart , window latch broken . Unfortunately no service agent in Karratha so had to do all the repairs myself which isn't a big one but painful when you pay big bucks for a new van . Don't know why they let this happen as it would be costing them a fortune in warranty work.

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
Buggar, that's a fair list.

Only major issue is the door catch does strike properly and can't lock it the normal way, and I had one window strut jamb open. Minor screw and sikaflex issues but I sorted that out myself. Re air con leaking, need to make sure there is a slight tilt either to the back or awning side to let the water run away, otherwise it will pool up and come back in via vents.

vasco pyjama

Oct 18, 2014
yeah but all good still love the van most problems can be easily fixed . as far as the aircon goes will just have to manage it and keep the van on a slight angle despite the manual insisting that the van must be level.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
if your running the Fridge on Gas - you need to be dead level

if your running the Aircon, then you are either plugged into a caravan site or a Genny
if its a Cvan site - no problem, slight lean is fine, make sure its your feet end....... NOT your head end............
if on a Genny - mmmmmm you would be running the fridge on Gas - so again, needs to be level

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Have had many problems with my 2014 17.56 outback they include - silicone in shower , aircon leaking when running , checker plate coming away , bed end lug broken off , cabinet edging coming apart , window latch broken . Unfortunately no service agent in Karratha so had to do all the repairs myself which isn't a big one but painful when you pay big bucks for a new van . Don't know why they let this happen as it would be costing them a fortune in warranty work.

what are you talking about, you have Coles & Woolies in Karratha.......... you want a Caravan repair yard as well...............??????:behindsofa:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Hey David we are getting the roof looked at Friday week in Exmouth! How did they fix yours if nothing sticks?
Hey Dee how's things?
What was explained to me is that the plastic used on the skylight was too smooth for the silicone to stick to properly. They removed the skylight, cleaned off any silicone that may have been there, roughened the sealing area with sandpaper, applied silicone and re-fitted the skylight. So far so good!!!!!

Reactions: bigcol

Navman

Jun 28, 2013
We have a 2013 model 17.56.1. Haven't had too many issues. Main one was we had to have the seat covers replaced as they came apart at the seams. jayco replaced these no questions asked. With the original ones I think they may have been slightly stingy with the fabric as the new ones have more give! We also find that there is not enough velcro under the seats. We just purchased some more self adhesive velcro and fixed them ourselves :) We don't have a skylight in our model. sounds like it may be a good thing :) That said, Love our Expanda!

Jul 4, 2014
Engadine
Thanks for your responses.
Having no issues with Jayco and dealer isn't too far from our home but as we are on a 5 week road trip it is difficult at the moment!
Was very disappointing to travel through Northern NSW and Gold Coast without AC because while changeover authorized Dometic done have a unit until April!
I also forgot to mention that we had to have a brace kit under the floor as it was so bouncy near the fridge.
Does anyone else's rubber/foam seal on the skylight not make contact all of the way around? Also we have water between the 2 layers of plastic that form the skylight.
Yep we have the foam seal issue. No leaks and been in some heavy rain

Jul 4, 2014
Engadine
The seat issue is still there even on the new model. (2015). Solution for jayco. Front hinge the seat base. Screw the cushion to it. The table slides forward. You open the seat, close the seat. The table slides back. Simple.

Reactions: bigcol
Oct 14, 2014
i've had all the same problem plus some.jayco fixed most of the problems but now im just going to fix the rest as im sick of traveling 2hrs there and 2hrs back every time

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
I think I had a list of about 26 things like a loose solar panel, ripped seat cushion, stiff corner leg, kinked sink drain, buttons pulled of bed end cover, 2 doors popping open while driving, minor things like that. I brought the cheaper brand of van so do expect some issues, but while there willing to fix them I dont see them as a problem.