17' Series Nothing but problems

Cuttsy888

May 2, 2014
Hi all

I'm just wondering if anyone else has problem after problem with their New Expanda or is it just ours?
We have a 2014 17.56-1 that we picked up in June 2014 and I'm starting to feel like I spend more time organising repairs than enjoying it.
I don't want to be a winger and I did know to expect it to some extent but getting a bit over it.
To give you an idea
Mattresses were replaced as both sections weren't same height
Drinking hose connection leaked everywhere
Poles in bed end roof not straight
Fly screen door needed to be replaced
3 overhead doors have had screws pull out and break timber as hinges too strong
Velcro not strong enough to keep cushions on seats
2 external screws poking through
Hole in bed end canvas (at delivery)
Catches don't catch properly
Screws in roof lifter breaking off leaving half in there
Gas strut pulled out of hard lid
Locks on bed ends not working
Awning fabric out of shape so AFK couldn't attach
multiple LEDs on awning not working
AC unit not refrigerating at all (replacement authorized, awaiting installation)
Roof hatch doesn't seal so leaks
And now microwave isn't working properly.

Cuttsy888

May 2, 2014
Jayco have had no issue fixing or replacing anything but getting very inconvenient.

Please say it's not just us!

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
we have only had small problems as well
your right about the Velcro on the cushions - and I pulled one of the seat backs off - it was screwed, until I got to it

Reactions: dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
until I got to it

Not letting you near our van @bigcol ;)

Only minimal issues with ours @Cuttsy888 (Touching wood as warranty has just run out). Managed to fix most items myself but the major problem was a leaking skylight when it rained. Apparently not an installation problem but the new plastic used in the skylight..... sikaflex/silicone wouldn't stick (According to local repair agent)

I always wonder if the old story is correct (Originated regarding cars) Lemons are built on a Monday or Friday .... the good ones are built on a Wednesday?

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
How did the roof lifter break?

Sounds like you might need to cut down to 6 Weetbix instead of 10 in the morning.

I've had one of the gas strut brackets shear off. Possibly from over tightening.

Understand how you feel, it's a new van.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Welcome to Jayco owner ship, while it can be very frustrating will should have no problem getting those issue's sorted, always go through your dealer first, if you get no joy there get straight onto the factory. While a lot of problems people get is simply due to poor quality control and shouldn't happen, the one thing Jayco is known for is backing their product even out of warranty. Our Panda had a full roof replacement 3 years out of warranty due to a leak.

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
We had a lot of issues with our new van as well. The list kept going and I thought the same thing about " so called quality control" . But I will say I had no issued with jayco authorising the repairs to be done. They fixed everything without any questions. As my coolest Jayco dealership is an hour away it was an inconvieniance driving back and forth all the time. I know how you feel after all the waiting time and money you spend on the van not to be able to enjoy it.

Cuttsy888

May 2, 2014
How did the roof lifter break?

Sounds like you might need to cut down to 6 Weetbix instead of 10 in the morning.

I've had one of the gas strut brackets shear off. Possibly from over tightening.

Understand how you feel, it's a new van.
The roof lifter didn't completly break, we just found a screw head on the floor and discovered it had come from the lifter! We got them to replace them all with better screws.

Cuttsy888

May 2, 2014
Thanks for your responses.
Having no issues with Jayco and dealer isn't too far from our home but as we are on a 5 week road trip it is difficult at the moment!
Was very disappointing to travel through Northern NSW and Gold Coast without AC because while changeover authorized Dometic done have a unit until April!
I also forgot to mention that we had to have a brace kit under the floor as it was so bouncy near the fridge.
Does anyone else's rubber/foam seal on the skylight not make contact all of the way around? Also we have water between the 2 layers of plastic that form the skylight.

Feb 2, 2015
Our van is due for pick up early May and I am expecting lots of issues just from speaking to other jayco owners. And after attending perth caravan and camping show the jayco vans were not handling the flow of people very we'll, doors, seals, tables, ply board hanging down from bunk. But we paid low 40s and have good warranty and 3 years rd side assist. I figure I have saved 13 thousand dollars on the next closest suitable van. so I love JAYCO because that means more money to travel and more time away from work

Reactions: jvp and Cuttsy888

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Touch wood, but we have been pretty lucky with ours. The few little issues we have had have been relatively minor and most I fixed up myself as couldn't be bothered going to the other side of town to sort them out. Every van has issues, even the $100k+ ones. Granted your list is a lot longer than the norm, but I am sure they will sort them out. Find yourself a reputable warranty agent if not going back to your dealer.

I will be honest, when the time comes that we outgrow this van (and we will), I will be going and looking at the Jayco's again first up.

Good luck with it all, but think you will be happy at the end.

BJ