No Power

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Hey there.

I decided to go on a trip to Newness for the weekend with the kids, which was great, all except for one thing, there was no 12volt power in the van.

This was very annoying as I just used the van at home with 12volt and it all worked well.

There was nothing the power supply was dead. I checked all of the fuses, the only fuse that was blown was the fuse on the second battery, everything else was fine.

The strange thing is that everything worked well when the van is hooked up to the TUG. But as soon as the tow vehicle is disconnected everything goes dead.

The batteries have full charge, both of them and the solar is still pumping in voltage to the batteries, but nothing appears to be coming out.

I rang Jayco and they said that it sounded like the setek unit may have blown itself. Jayco have booked the van in on Thursday to have the unitlooked at and checked to see if it is that or something else.

Has anyone else had a problem similar to this? If so what was the fix and cause of the problem.

The weekend away went well, the kids having a ball and. No other major incidents apart from a scratch on the side of the van from a low branch.

Will post more info on the trip in a different thread.

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Thats no good mate, i know when i have the main light switch and battery switch off the lights will work when connected to the tug via the anderson unplug it and they dont, its odd as the anderson is direct to the battery not the setek?
Good luck!

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
There were some connectors loose a week or so ago, which I fixed, it definitely is not any wiring on the visible side of the battery to the setek, I have checked all of that.

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
I rang Jayco and they said that it sounded like the setek unit may have blown itself.

Hey Mick

It sounds like they are on the money. The Setec unit has built in under voltage battery protection that disconnects the battery to protect it against excessive discharge.

If the Setec has crapped itself then the UV cutout won't operate any more. However the tug goes through the auxiliary input that only has a blocking diode but no cutout switch. So when the van is on tug supply then all will work ok but the Setec will not supply the 12v from mains nor the battery.

What you could try if you are stuck next time is to swap the battery and the auxiliary inputs around (providing the battery has its own fuse) on the Setec and that should get you working again. Just make sure that when you need to travel that you swap it back so the tug provides the power, not the battery.

Hope this helps. I cant post pictures of how to remove the Setec cause we are away at Yamba for the week but search for a post that Boots did that has some pretty good photos and instructions.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes...

Cheers :)

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Hey Mick

It sounds like they are on the money. The Setec unit has built in under voltage battery protection that disconnects the battery to protect it against excessive discharge.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes...

Cheers :)

Thanks for the info, I sort of knew staright away when I checked the voltage and fuses that it would be the unit, but was not sure how to temporarily fix the problem.

The Van goes in on Thursday, so hopefully it will be sorted and on my way Thursday Arvo.

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Well, Jayco had a look at the van and replaced the setek unit. The battery terminals were blown, not sure why.

Not really impressed with their knowledge on this unit, they had no idea on what the cables were for and left one cable disconnected saying it was not needed.

Does anyone know what the auxilary +ve terminal is for?

Peter D

Jun 12, 2011
Brisbane
Does anyone know what the auxilary +ve terminal is for?

Ttbomk, it's for charging your van battery from the tug while you're on the move. So if you didn't have the required cable wired from your tug battery to the tug plug, then it wouldn't need to be plugged in.

The same wire branches off and runs around to the fridge and gives it 12v power while on the move, so it's a useful thing to have powered up.

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
Hey Mick

As Peter has said, it for a supply from the vehicle or similar to provide power or limited charging to the battery. Bear in mind that the circuit has a blocking diode that drops the voltage about 0.6-0.7V across it so the voltage may be enough to power everything but not to fully charge the battery.

SETEC ST2.jpg

Interesting they said to leave one cable out. Maybe post a photo to assist...

Cheers mate, at least it got sorted to a degree.

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
True, it was really weird, the fridge ran without it hooked up, and everything else worked.
What they didn't know was the three 12volt outlets were hooked up to one of the terminals and said that it wasn't needed either. It was only when I pointed out that the might be for the 12volt outlets that they checked that.

My experience did not really instill any confidence in their abilities.

I will take some photos and post them up, just need to get into the van.